FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
mccuha

help with proper shooting eye glasses

mccuha

My hunting partner has a problem. Like a lot of us he's getting older and his eyesight is not what it used to be. He had some eye surgery last year and it helped some. His problem is his non dominant eye has a better vision than his dominant eye. Is there any type of prescription shooting glasses he could get to help with this.  He says he shoots a little better without glasses but he cant see as well without his glasses.  Any solutions to this problem?

edgerat

Randolph Ranger could get him setup with an RX insert with almost anything in their range, that way he could have a weaker in one eye or vice versa :) https://www.randolphusa.com/re-ranger/

ARKBRDHUNTER

A small dot or occluder(sp?) might be the answer. normally these are located higher on the lens so that they are not noticeable until the gun is mounted. I wear Decot to shoot in and get a clear lens with bifocals to hunt in and due to my left being not only dominant it is much stronger so either shoot one eyed or use the above mentioned partial obstruction to block the end of the barrel for the left eye. I do not even know it is there. The lens that I shoot skeet with are distance rx only but need the bifocal to read the garmin can make going down in a ditch or steep hill fun if I forget to tilt my head instead of looking through bottom of glasses. One good fall will serve as a reminder to not do that. 

stripersonfly

First, though he may feel he shoots better without glasses, I would strongly recommend (require) a person wear some form of eye protection when shooting (either hunting or clays). 

Now you mention that his non-dominant eye has better vision than his dominant eye.  I could see this could create a cross dominance issue if shooting without corrective lenses, does this still happen if you friend wears corrective lenses?  If not, than prescription inserts or lenses are available for many of the major shooting glasses.  A couple of the ones I know off the top of my head are Randolph Ranger (Mentioned above), but also Pilla, and Decot.  I would have your friend check them out, and buy a pair, perhaps with a few different colored lenses, and learn to shoot with them.  I have never met a shooter who could not come to wear eye glasses.  Heck, you cannot shoot at most ranges without eye protection.

If the cross dominance cannot be corrected with appropriate lenses than an occluder might be the way to go. 

dogrunner

Give this guy a call. He checked my eyes and then made me 3 different color lenses last year at the Grand. Then shipped them to me a week later. He is also a shooter.  

6E2F8786-E661-4B3C-A89C-897834701C54.jpeg

25/06

Dogrunner hit the nail on the head.

I posted on this forum before as I was having terrible vision issue that came on suddenly.

I pissed away two good shooting years and set my shooting back more by trying different things including seeing the eye doc.

When you see an eye doc make sure he is a shooter or works with shooters who shoot flying targets! An eye doctor who prescribes reading glasses to old people and not much else is not the guy you want to talk to.

There are so many aspects of shooting that have nothing to do with the vision itself it is amazing.... I recently found out a number of the people I shoot

with have poorer vision in their dominate eye than the other. This in itself is not an issue and many people shoot very well like that.

Get proper help then send the prescription to someone who makes good shooting glasses like Decot.

Sorry for the rant but this issue is close to me.

KerryLuft
1 hour ago, 25/06 said:

I recently found out a number of the people I shoot

with have poorer vision in their dominate eye than the other. This in itself is not an issue and many people shoot very well like that.

My dominant eye (left) is weaker by a good bit.  But I shoot better left-handed with both eyes open than I ever did right-handed and closing my weak/dominant eye.  I agree, not an issue.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:30 PM, stripersonfly said:

Now you mention that his non-dominant eye has better vision than his dominant eye.  I could see this could create a cross dominance issue if shooting without corrective lenses.

At least for me, this is not true.  I am strongly left-eye dominant whether I'm wearing glasses or not.  Most things I have read indicates that the stronger eye is not automatically the dominant one.

xxx

As for shooting glasses:  I recently bought a pair of prescription glasses from these folks: https://www.sgseyewear.com/  So far,  I like them very much.

I do not like interchangeable lens for hunting and have had Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical put lenses into some Randolph sunglass frames.  This works very well IMO.

Nor do I like the prescription "inserts" as they add weight and at least in my experience have a tendency to fog in hot weather.  

25/06
14 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

My dominant eye (left) is weaker by a good bit.  But I shoot better left-handed with both eyes open than I ever did right-handed and closing my weak/dominant eye.  I agree, not an issue.

At least for me, this is not true.  I am strongly left-eye dominant whether I'm wearing glasses or not.  Most things I have read indicates that the stronger eye is not automatically the dominant one.

xxx

As for shooting glasses:  I recently bought a pair of prescription glasses from these folks: https://www.sgseyewear.com/  So far,  I like them very much.

I do not like interchangeable lens for hunting and have had Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical put lenses into some Randolph sunglass frames.  This works very well IMO.

Nor do I like the prescription "inserts" as they add weight and at least in my experience have a tendency to fog in hot weather.  

Kerry,

I agree with what you are saying and that is the trouble with writing a sentence and not being able to just discuss something..... I tend to use examples of past experience of what people have told me to communicate. The problem is it may seem like I am advocating

What I was trying to say is; Communicate with a good eye doctor if you are having issues or even suspect issues. Some very good eye doctors like Morgan optical are available who can not only diagnose issues but can also crank out great glasses... Most people do not attend the shoots these type of doctors go to so you need to rely on your local eye doctor for a good prescription to send in. This is where  a monkey wrench can get thrown in the process.

I had prescription I sent to Morgan for lenses for shooting glasses... They ended up terrible, NOT because of Morgan optical. The lenses were made exactly per prescription and the quality as always was outstanding.  The problem was Morgan optical did not have the correct prism information or proper (DI OS??? information). Thus the lenses were no good. I had no Idea and shot with them for a while and thought it must just be me. I would buy glasses from Morgan without hesitation. If I could not see the guy traveling to the shoots I would make sure I have all the proper information for who ever your order glasses from to make the right lens.... I would then have my Doctor confirm the prescriptions as he has equipment that can check lenses just like he can check eyes.

We have all seen people trying to get by and figure out issues on their own.

The things I will not do are:

Tell someone to put a magic dot on a lens

Smear ChapStick on a lens

Put a blinder style front bead on a gun

Tell someone to change shooting side because their thumb moves more when they close one eye than the other.

These are tricks that can be used to find issues but they all should be followed up by a competent examination.

Also remember, sudden changes in vision can be an indication of serious underlying health issues.

Take care and shoot well

KerryLuft

The eye doctor I would go see right now if I were having issues is Richard Colo of Connecticut.  Shooters I respect highly rave about him, including Will and Elizabeth Fennell.   Their blog post about him is HERE.

Fortunately, I have no issues at the moment other than myopia that is fairly easily corrected. 

Dave Quindt
19 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

Kerry,

Would you hunt in those glasses?  Would you hunt in cover in those glasses?

I too ordered a pair from SGS after trying to get a set of prescription inserts for some Ranger glasses.  Took 3 attempts to get the inserts "right" and I'm not sure they are perfectly right yet.  The SGS glasses just arrived today and the rx is spot on.  I just don't know if they will hold up in the woods and they sure don't give me much protection on the sides.  Given I have a real difficult rx I might just have to deal with it.

Thanks,
Dave

KerryLuft

Dave, no plans to hunt with the SGS glasses. I have shooting quality lenses in large standard sunglass frames for hunting. I don’t like interchangeable lenses in a hunting eyeglass because if the lens can drop out, you can be sure they will.