FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Clueless1

Carport=tent?

Clueless1

So we got back from Colorado where we camped for 6-7 days elk hunting.  Didn't get to backpack hunt, but that is a long story.  BUT, turns out that my son really enjoyed the camping aspect.  I had a crappy tent that was very drafty, but it did hold out through a few storms.  For deer season we have been looking at wall tents that we could set up at our place for maybe  5 days or so.  I have heard of people using carports as tents, much cheaper option.  Has anyone done this?  Is it worth the money or should I just bite the bullet and go for a full blown wall tent with stove etc. 

Another aspect, heat.  I could get a few Mr Buddy heaters, but maybe wood stove is better at that point?  I would think then I'm looking at cutting and sewing in a stove pipe hole as well.  Basically my camping has always consisted of backpack camping with minimal comforts, if I got cold add more clothes.  OR, campground camping with a 12x14 regular tent. 

Anyone done this?  Thoughts?

rideold

Haven't done it but aren't the carports plastic rather than breathable canvas?  Might be a mess if it gets wet out.  I'd say look for a used wall tent.

mccuha

I have a friend that has used that set up a couple years ago and he said it actually worked out pretty well. They had carpet floor and did insulate It somehow. He has it packed up and ready to go again this year. It's a cheap option to a wall tent  and may not be as good as a wall tent but deffinately an economical option to fit a budget.

Clueless1

Yes, this would be used during rifle season in PA for maybe 4-5 days, no real extreme weather.  Wonder how they insulated it?

Mike da Carpenter

I bought a Kodiak Canvas wall tent (10x14) for my 2 boys, myself and GSP.  3 cots no problem and a Ruff Tough kennel too.

mccuha
12 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

Yes, this would be used during rifle season in PA for maybe 4-5 days, no real extreme weather.  Wonder how they insulated it?

I'll get in touch with him and ask.

Kansas Bound
53 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

I bought a Kodiak Canvas wall tent (10x14) for my 2 boys, myself and GSP.  3 cots no problem and a Ruff Tough kennel too.

This is the same setup that I have.  Very highly recommended for a couple people.  Very easy to assemble and take down.1018161751.thumb.jpg.23efa38761322d9c79fce891e6d62431.jpg

Kansas Bound

Also if you are patient a few can come up for sale on Craigslist.

Yukon1

I've posted these pics before whenever this topic comes up, but I really like this setup. This is a Cabela's Alaknak tent, 12x 20, belongs to a buddy of mine. In fact I'll be back in it in a couple of weeks for our fall fishing trip. As you can see, we have plenty of room for our four cots, gear, table, chairs and woodstove. Not shown in the picture is our kitchen setup which consists of a coleman stove, wanigan box and a table it all rests on. It's located to the right of the woodstove. 

The tent is light weight but heavy duty enough that it kept us warm and dry during a storm with gale force winds.

When we're fishing we keep an eye out along the shorline for deadwood that we buck up and carry in the canoes back to the camp where we take turns splitting it for the stove. 

With four of us we usually have it set up in under a half hour. 

KfX71S2WJMhc_m2rRXzGkHxo_qwIBhfHhB5q3VcapXLNZDSrhI9H4GTEs--jew6KYsqS0PKgdu98K-IIVam4iQnrJ62Ns3t5OImj1unPIGmMnzBRU84STbRz-RLc3TuJ-H-135tfc_zFzNnBzWq1R-yYLHrt3qetefAmT2zJPwF6AqHDmQyULMJLtRxiIUIKXn8EKzCJGJD3SLfr-6sc4asQV06kztugXubBlHsI7f4ayKPGc3F69mEcvXjt2BzMCjAlQy5jcgo5l9dcfk2WIFSUwlJHJL_BDgZy1vKWWVz2R3_yFI6G6qadeB8D5csBevdwtdekuhS3n96mwYZQrKCVWQ17h8hyTgw7OlgcPy7KWq-wyI1iMY4uFwq5RnXbHNr0LhzFbSFHMYXwzrSh8MNUINpzE8LzAggqoHp4PZgmLDnNnXgL58k2-fgKF2TUmMa3VFARHngZZt9G1KLjhhwGraTqNCUFZ-y7r5ccEHvnVPu9WyUas0qJRXnId-oE9tzir49bJgkebdGfbmvaO7Ts4zI9Rlbd333TyYbt0eAjFYINlPaDGrozuMcXZMtn6IiL1YSedz5clXrGsF1mGHmXiP3mm9Oq9U-p8dyjPusKf9oaNrKPPB5TxqcCBhs=w640-h480-no

X-4ddkPB00nM-zkyp1Sg6MDwjD_lEeMwaBnqV1xZvbuOAiTFikdte6SY8tTd5-cjEb33nikNu2XxLL8IqZEMXVF4Xg7A0p51molZOrkBpY8YK8eC0BIKsDK25zfQe6fSEnYnNE1tDAiQt2alKDmjP0zO4ENEdFsl5L3zioUF8kC0s6dGsFVQpPZc-ZSMPgvOcNoF4XlFtvhLSr_u0CJqqnCSGZi2xI_bk94ApzBdqtaqlyoLKX_V3-71vEZewJH_vbaMIkYhs4KrF2-NZuYWUdyJyi18cQ-wDSi1NImxE1S8k0Tigfzzw8fukV7bl0KBnSrBdGSK65Z3NzKOpLzCLSVk_YOxJ1RP4UMvQa-sLVGqgkBWgwQveOk6K9nte9RDlWVz09oDc5QmQnJ1XxmXdDg2aOF_FtgPDxg-BaKoE39IWmGmZnh_as9PhTpZHTZOPKE5s7xl-d1tn0dsyHnjFLB2Nco4YdpS15oSgjNOGw-MfrLrHh55ffwwBZwYJsoE6AKUcUQgX5eLad6O6jh40Dflg8KQkcv24w2odh87jn69mmqwXZ3aN0xwTLcKUkw7Ur4RTYTpE_5r85yGxnHHX1puzSSo7aX1l83fUpojKXqxdFBr6fFWXeEsKSTS3QI=w640-h480-no5v3Y4-wpyifO4_N1xCyiNWEL1r33zoA1rRSCtZ3FaNBUZ_42e2I7v_YQr68NUPdBZrL6npHyZR91njJEfx02ozFGjJpNe3JRwknIxC_DU4IKUSKwasNFnEF_0f1PvZ5HtQ62p63_DsPjr06aVrbX1BM4DhVhuFyhZ597MPDVxl6H_xqcZEb2XW2TwaY9Pyi9K9rF7oYZ9GKkEwBxGksz5JypWJERW9uyqRstDolDkrV0q3-nPHoTm8JmSGjwsmvvRfzfIVxbYmh9mGMXXSlSGtZM1sqB5Hizo1KlAruttM9jhTv5pk4hDdKw5JDT6P4MO-mmh90ZeA5Nzns8Q4Ovo6kV0KQvqoizbLhnj989G9noYgr2RcjemPNSk50UfA9tw1QWgfzqfiUfgbYf7uLwaQLpVlpVgmQmED6_wQV1ps0ra04ghgKKFe4R-EyMqtJkCMZfxDzZBHD61Oji9pMxdSWMIyZ01DOKCX_r8ppLNAPT1XsOn-TV942DVWDVFnBlIAOJoUWCdMAj8fZffJPDtGtt0ABehClaFwon2N5BVFhn8rfE3NKBeZBBMh1gapjj2sTev4K4iOVfdyWbvRZmzSid3UlkmmhyOhY7qx4Jn6u4y1TDJ8jUJBYfs9B-FQ4=w640-h480-no

mccuha
17 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

I checked with him and I was mistaken. He said they didn't insulate the carport tent. They used it in Wy and Montana with out any problems. They stayed warm. The only hiccup hes trying to find a solution to is it does collect a little condensation inside at times if its real cold out and the heater is going strong.

May not be a solution for a lot but what works for you and your budget. I saw it set up at his house the last time he was heading west and it was roomy.

Clueless1
19 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

I have seen them.  A few hundred more than the carport option.  How do you heat it?  The 10x14 that I saw didn't have a pipe vent, but I've only looked quickly. 

Kansas Bound

RE Kodiak Canvas:  This place usually has the best pricing.  

I heat mine with a buddy heater but have seen online people doing modifications to get a stove installed. 

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

I have seen them.  A few hundred more than the carport option.  How do you heat it?  The 10x14 that I saw didn't have a pipe vent, but I've only looked quickly. 

With 3 people and a GSP, there is no need to heat it.  Warm sleeping bag and I’m good. Just got to keep the tent vented because that is a LOT of moisture being exhaled.

Depending on where you are “camping”, I’m guessing you could use an electric heater if power is available, or a buddy heater if no power available.

Quig

We had several Wall tents back in the day. Army surplus has decent prices. They are heavy and storing them and keeping  varmints out of them

is a job. They are warm and comfortable, we used wood heat. Make a square hole in the side and a couple of pieces of aluminum to sandwich the tent, pipe goes out through the round hole in the middle.

I think they are the best set up but I’ve not tried the cabelas tent route. I prefer a ridge pole tent as you can put a tarp over it and have a good rain fly and it’s warmer. Ridge poles require more help to set up however 

Umbrela style cAn be set up by yourself, but the rain fly is a issue because of the small pole in the top to support the tarp.

Clueless1

I am going to have to look all that up, ridge pole vs umbrella etc.  As of right now I have an old beat up pop-up camper that is not long for this world.  I will probably try to get through this year with it and make sure we are going to be doing this often enough to justify the wall tent. 

Problem I see is that once I start doing this I expect a few more to realize it's fun and try to join us.  Talking nephews, my Dad etc.  People that I want to have room for. 

Decisions decisions.