FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cooter Brown

Inkjet Printers

Cooter Brown

About a year ago I replaced an HP printer that had lasted about 3 years with another HP.  This one is already shot.  I've probably printed a hundred pages or so on the damn thing.  I managed to get hold of HP cust svc and they said the print head is shot.  Ink levels OK etc.

If I calculated my per page cost with these damned things it would be horrifying.

Any suggestions on one that might last a little longer?  Or are they all just short term disposable pieces of junk?  Should I just use a thumb drive and go to the UPS store?

BlacknTan
17 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

About a year ago I replaced an HP printer that had lasted about 3 years with another HP.  This one is already shot.  I've probably printed a hundred pages or so on the damn thing.  I managed to get hold of HP cust svc and they said the print head is shot.  Ink levels OK etc.

If I calculated my per page cost with these damned things it would be horrifying.

Any suggestions on one that might last a little longer?  Or are they all just short term disposable pieces of junk?  Should I just use a thumb drive and go to the UPS store?

My experience with them is that they're made to fail... disposable items.

BTW, this is a subject that really raises the fur on the back of my neck also! 

Chukarman

I have had the same experience with HP - just junk, really. I'm going to try Canon next time.

topdog1961

I have an inexpensive Cannon model. It's held up 4 years now, but it sounds like someone threw a handful of half inch bolts  into it every time it prints, always did. 

I'm curious about the refillable tank printers. Do they hold up and do they really save you money? Paying $50 for two ink cartridges for a $38 printer really gets my hackles up. 

Speaks

I had better luck with Cannon, but in my experience all the modern consumer grade printers are junk and will fail quickly. It actually seems the less they are used the quicker they fail. 

sloth5202

I would save the money and headache and print at UPS or something similar.

I admit printing something and writing checks are things I do only every other year.

Clueless1

Have a Canon MX492 here.  Wasn't overly expensive and does more than I really need it to but going on 4 years now...

WMassGriff

having good luck with Epson XP-640.

FlyChamps

If you can live with monochrome (no color) get a laser printer.  I print 30 -40,000 pages a year between my two Brother printers, including 3,000 pages in one day when I print tax organizers for my clients with very few problems.  Laser printers appear more expensive to buy and operate but I suspect they are cheaper than ink jets over their life cycle.

In the very, very rare case that I need color I save the file to a USB drive and go to FedEx Office or UPS Store.

gaberdeen

^^^^ what he said. After years of aggravating ink jets I went to a laser jet and have been quite satisfied.

Cooter Brown

For the time being I went to the Fedex store and printed out what I needed for 18 cents a page including tax.  Between the initial purchase and ink, including the cartridge still in the printer that won't get used, it's cheaper than what I paid per page with the year old printer.  Of course that doesn't include my time and gas.

Given the amount I need to print I'll probably do this for the time being.

My first HP inkjet lasted for more than 10 years, the next for 3-4, this one for less than a year.  There won't be another.

max2

Mine just  S*&$ the bed a couple days ago. It is a Brother. It stopped auto feeding. I can manual feed for now. Unless you spend  on a commercial printer it's my belief like so many other products today ~ they are throw away's

Dogwood

Have a Brother ink jet at the office that easily prints 200-300 pages daily and is a real workhorse. Quiet. Fast. Trying some generic cartridges to save money; we'll see. 

Used to love HP's but not any 'mo.