FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dvmweb

Pick up bed gun vault, again.

dvmweb

Well,

Looking to get one. Ideas.

I lust for for the TruckVault brand, but $3K!

And/or, does anyone know of a set of plans to build one?

john mcg
17 minutes ago, dvmweb said:

Well,

Looking to get one. Ideas.

I lust for for the TruckVault brand, but $3K!

And/or, does anyone know of a set of plans to build one?

This may give you an idea or two. Its not difficult. If you PM me, I'd be happy to talk about it and fill in any blanks.

Peent

I made myself one after looking at the price TruckVault wanted.  I might have 150-200 in lumber into this thing. Here was my lumber list:

Three  sheets 1/2 inch finish grade plywood so the drawers slide good

Four 8' 1 x 10 pine boards for the supports.  One on each side, two down the middle.

Eight 8' 1 x 8 pine boards for drawers and dividers.  

I had some left over cherry paneling I used for decorative face.   I had fancy handles but they broke off right away.  I pull on the overhang of the drawers to open now. 

Torqs and glue.    

I can take better or more photos showing how if you you want.  

IMG_0762.thumb.JPG.def727b1439cd074c0b979b0af908b33.JPG

john mcg

The handles I made out of the leather collar that belonged to my Chocolate Lab 'Connor' may he rest in peace and I used a forstner bit to make way for the brass ends of shotshells for decor.

Peent
5 minutes ago, john mcg said:

The handles I made out of the leather collar that belonged to my Chocolate Lab 'Connor' may he rest in peace and I used a forstner bit to make way for the brass ends of shotshells for decor.

I can see you put a little more effort into yours, very nice looking.  I had mine built in a weekend.    Mine run full bed length which I would definitely do again.  Surprising how much stuff I can cram in there.  I have been thinking of building dog boxes but I'd like to have three across.  

IMG_0763.JPG

Clueless1

Mine was built in 1.5 hours.  All it is is a shelf.  Not nearly as nice as these but it serves the purpose.  No drawers but I usually have two bows under it so the drawers weren't going to work anyway. 

IMG_0008.JPG

oak stob

John and many here are true craftsmen...as another option, a board and bins works ok.

I do like a seperate wood open box underneath and between the plastic bins for support and to house two cased shotguns and a cleaning rod.

I also bolt down my kennels to the board so that, as in one photo, I may only need three kennels.

When I use two under the topper, plus the two in the cab, I like the board high enough to lend maximum room between the two boxes...as in the other photo.

I will say that putting the boxes at the utmost height can make for more work getting them in and out but....they are very secure from any movement.

Probably a silly idea but I like a white board to catch a drop of pup blood more easily, and a little lighter tone can make a difference.

Good luck finding a fit for yourself......if you need any advice on junking it all up with “stuff”...ask away.

Neat, I ain’t.

dvmweb

Thanks for the ideas.

Pretty straightforward.

Did you use waterproof/marine plywood?

Did you put rails/slides on the drawers?

Or, do they pull out ok?

I have a Kreg kit, which would make it easier.

John, I love that song!

john mcg
7 minutes ago, dvmweb said:

Thanks for the ideas.

Pretty straightforward.

Or, do they pull out ok?

I have a Kreg kit, which would make it easier.

John, I love that song!

I used half round trim stock that runs in the plastic grooves of the liner. A little wax and its fine. I wanted some stick-tion so they would not move too easily. I didn't use marine ply. Its solid pine, birch ply and Red Ash.

Chukarman
7 minutes ago, dvmweb said:

Thanks for the ideas.

Pretty straightforward.

Or, do they pull out ok?

If you put in slides with a mchanism to stop and hold the drawer you will be happy. Those drawers can get heavy when it's full of ammo, guns, and dog gear - and your truck is parked on a hill!

john mcg
1 minute ago, Chukarman said:

If you put in slides with a mwchanism to stop and hold the drawer you will be happy. Those drawers can get heavy when it's full of ammo, guns, and dog gear - and your truck is parked on a hill!

Turn the truck around and let gravity serve you.

LOL

Chukarman
2 hours ago, john mcg said:

Turn the truck around and let gravity serve you.

LOL

Point uphill to open, downhill to close, right John?

john mcg
Just now, Chukarman said:

Point uphill to open, downhill to close, right John?

Lol

or find a flat spot.

SODAKer

Are there any concerns with laying guns in the box and going over rough rode e.g. hard bumps etc; my concern would be snapping the wrist depending on how the gun is positioned. Or do you have the bottom of the gun drawer padded?

Chukarman
1 hour ago, SODAKer said:

Are there any concerns with laying guns in the box and going over rough rode e.g. hard bumps etc; my concern would be snapping the wrist depending on how the gun is positioned. Or do you have the bottom of the gun drawer padded?

The slots in my gun/gear/ammo drawer are lined with carpeting. I slip the guns into a gun sock and lay them in the padded slots. They have traveled for many thousands of miles with no issues at all.