FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
gunsrus

Natural Gas Explosion

gunsrus

Massachusetts towns Lawrence , Andover , No Andover and Methuen , as many as 50 or more homes have been destroyed or damaged by gas explosions or fire . The State Police have mandated if you live in the area to get out of your home . This is no joke . Fire departments cannot get to all the homes and some are just burning freely . No indication of lives lost yet . Authorities have no idea where its coming from . This is not just one street or block but all over these towns . Homes adjacent to ones that have been affected seem fine but two blocks around the corner may be affected . 

This is unprecedented . Chaos is unbelievable . People sitting in the middle of baseball fields staying away from homes . 

This is scary shi! .

Skybuster

Just heard about this on TV. I can't imagine how this could happen so spontaneously; several homes one after another. Every home has a gas main valve somewhere in their unit. I can only guess extreme gas pressure blowing by the gas regulator is the reason for this event.

john mcg

I can only think that multiple devices were planted and set off electronically.

A batch of faulty equipment would not fail so.

oak stob

Sounds like someone hit and ruptured a high pressure line.

WPG Gizmo

Columbia Gas who owns the High Pressure line say that there was a Spike in the Gas pressure National Grid has killed all power to the affected cities and there are so many fires that local fire can not get to many of them so they are burning freely 39 buildings at last count  4 have been injured but I would expect that number to rise.  So far no one is saying anything about an attack  just a gas pressure accident 

john mcg

Gary...what seems odd about that is how it could effect houses in disparate locations as is apparent.

Flairball

Sounds like a gas over pressure issue. House hold appliance pressure is only 1/4 psi. The street pressure varies, but the reducers could fail. Not every home that exploded burned, but many have. Boston has sent fire companies to help, but so has every community in the area. 

WPG Gizmo

I would suspect that the pressure spike in the high pressure line blew past likely old regulators and not the newer ones it is just to random to be anything coordinated All the towns around me have sent crews to assist 

Flairball

It shouldn’t go unnoticed that the union gas workers have been locked out for months, and their jobs being done by scabs. There have been numerous smaller problems throughout the area, but now this. Looks like it would have cost management a lot less if they had just settled a contract with the union. 

atticus

Wasn’t that a different company around Boston and not Columbia gas in the Merrimack valley?

Felix
8 hours ago, Flairball said:

It shouldn’t go unnoticed that the union gas workers have been locked out for months, and their jobs being done by scabs. There have been numerous smaller problems throughout the area, but now this. Looks like it would have cost management a lot less if they had just settled a contract with the union. 

Wow.   I would venture to guess that there are quite a few non-union members here on UJ.  But never let a good catastrophe go unused. 

topdog1961

I heard the very early news reports of scores of buildings erupting in flames for no discernible reason, with accompanying mass confusion and terror. The thought occurred to me that maybe this is what the opening salvos of an alien invasion would sound like, George Orwell style. 

Now that I know it's the result of an old fashioned labor dispute, I guess I'll put my ray gun away. 

oak stob

Pressure spikes should be handled by the equipment in place all along the supply system.....the odd part, to me, is that the end user is far downstream re pressure regulation failure.

There may have been upstream human operator error involved at some point which compounded upon an initial issue, improper installation or poor maintainence of the system over time, unfamiliarity of the system by personnel, regional infrastructure age and more involved....especially possible if there have been problems with gas service in the last year or so.

An investigation should follow safety and resupply.

Labor disputes, per Occam, would be down the list but poor replacements can be bad juju as can striking employees monkey-wrenching wherever possible....I have witnessed both sad situations.

Neither side in a labor dispute should receive a blanket pass of assumed innocence.

Hopefully, injuries or death are minimal and best to those affected who will need to work thru changes in their Life.

Also hoping that necessary steps are taken to improve conditions in the future....sounds costly all ‘round.

kgb

I'd look at what parts of the systems can be remotely controlled or that are controlled with a program where a line or two of code slightly altered could cause these results.  Maybe not an alien invasion, just testing out a weapon.  Concept proven, weapon goes back on the shelf until needed.  

Glad my aluminnium foil has the one non-stick side and forms proper hats.

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, oak stob said:

Pressure spikes should be handled by the equipment in place all along the supply system.....the odd part, to me, is that the end user is far downstream re pressure regulation failure.

There may have been upstream human operator error involved at some point which compounded upon an initial issue, improper installation or poor maintainence of the system over time, unfamiliarity of the system by personnel, regional infrastructure age and more involved....especially possible if there have been problems with gas service in the last year or so.

An investigation should follow safety and resupply.

From this and other posts you've made you seem to be from the energy industry so your perspective is appreciated.

Last year I smelled gas outside near the street and called the gas co.  It turned out to be a junction of some sort in a neighbor's yard.  From talking to the guys fixing it, I got the impression, which might be wrong, that the main line pressure wasn't that high to begin with and was stepped down even more before it went to each house.  Of course I might have misunderstood.  Is that more or less what happens?

It'll be interesting to hear what they determine the cause to be.