FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fishnfowler

I got spooled

Fishnfowler

Sorry, no photo.  I was at the local river today and hooked a sea monster.  I've only been truly spooled twice before.  Once by a giant rainbow in a S. Idaho lake and second by a huge brown in a SE WY river.  I played a very large trout for 45 minutes until it decided enough and headed for the Pacific.  I was very happy to get my line back.  I was using a 9' 6wt and 12 pound test with 150 yards of backing.  We fooled around for awhile with the last 30 yards of backing before it boogied for the last time. My wrist and shoulder still ache.  I've landed 14 pound steelhead with this same line/rod, but this fish was way beyond that class. I was fishing a sinking line and a #8 muddler in a deep hole.  It could have been a king salmon, but was more rambunctious than they usually are.

NW River Mac

Great story.  I enjoy stories of guys doing their best and still getting beat by the fish that got away.  You must have had some fun with that fish and perhaps a small grin on your face while recovering your line.

SelbyLowndes

Sometimes when Snook fishing in south FL a big tarpon will take.  I usually fish with bass size bait-casting tackle.  A big tarpon will spool you every time unless you crank up and chase him.  Then, when you get close he'll likely jump in the boat and try to kill somebody...SelbyLowndes