FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
ccavacini

Suicidal squirrels----death by car

ccavacini

I've seen more squirrels running around this year than ever.  Had to slow down many times to let the buggers cross the road. Unfortunately, some just decided to end it all.

Even had one try an insurance scam on me.  Waited till I slowed down, then jumped up and hit my headlight.  When I got out of the car, he was on his back, writhing in pain.  When I pointed to my dash cam, he squeaked and ran away.

Felix

Around here chipmunks are the worst. They can't making it across the road without changing their minds 4 or 5 times right in the middle of the road!

mccuha

must be a cycle year for squirrels this year. I heard grouse cycles follow close behind this phenom

Rockdoc

What I'm getting to really dislike is suicidal deer. The last two deer actually hit me! The first launched himself from the shoulder and crashed into the side of my right front fender while I was in Iowa. My second encounter was last year in Nebraska on "Deer Kill Highway" (my name for SH 6) when I suddenly came upon two deer blocking both lanes of the highway. I would've made it through okay if they'd both just cooperated and stood still. But no! One deer spun around as I was starting to pass and hit my right front fender with its ass. How do I know this, because there was a large smear of deer crap along with a new dent in my fender. Damned suicidal deer!!! 

It's interesting, I've seen coyotes wait for traffic to clear both ways before crossing a road. I guess they're not suicidal (or just plain stupid).

Steve

WPG Gizmo

In NH we have had a explosion of squirrels last year there was an abundance of food in the woods for them and they acted like rabbits so the population exploded.  Now they are searching for food the roads look like a war zone there are bodies everywhere not ones and twos but 20 and 30 at a time in a 20 yard space we need a heavy rain to wash the blood splatter off the road it is that bad.  You drive a mile and count hundreds dead we have had to resort to using street sweepers to clean them up.

At least the Crows are getting fat

Curt

I've noticed it here in PA this year as well, just in the last week or so there seems to be a dead squirrel every couple hundred yards on some roads.  Do animals make suicide pacts?  Is this the year of the Hale-Bopp comet? 

Samuel Hoggson

Well that is interesting.  My wife was visiting our daughter in CT last week.  Got home Wednesday, and couldn't get over how many dead gray and black squirrels she'd seen on the roads.  

WMassGriff

Around me, nature's Garbage Men: Turkey Buzzards, Crows and Coyotes are enjoying the smorgasbord!

sneem

At the NRA convention I saw a very funny Remington commercial about squirrels. They had a guy in a squirrel costume doing the stupid things they do. The guy in the costume would stand by a car, smile and wave it past. As soon as the car started to move, he'd jump in front of it. Get up do the same thing and jump again. Really funny and so true.

Marc Ret

ccavacini

comedy-wildlife-photography-awards-finalists-2018-24-5b9b5781852a1__880.jpg

Bert in W N.C.

The death march is happening here in N.C.. We are are also getting a lot  of bear movement a little early. My thought is the lack of acorn mast. We "got nothin". It may be a tough year for the critters. 

mhadley

I think they are trying to teach us a life lesson about decision making or lack thereof. Squirrels don’t get hit because they are slow. 😁

john mcg
On 9/14/2018 at 5:20 PM, SelbyLowndes said:

Squirrel migrations have been a recorded phenomena in North America since the 1800's at least.  Merriwether Lewis wrote about it in 1803.  See hotlink below:

<https://www.deltafarmpress.com/massive-squirrel-migrations-recorded-north-america>

...SelbyLowndes

Thanks for that link. I had never heard this before. Ya learn something every day.