FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Curt

Walkie Talkies ?

Curt

Just wondering if any of you guys use walkie talkies when bird hunting?  You know, to keep in touch with friends who may be hunting a few miles away or so where there is no cell service.  Just something I've been pondering lately.  If you do, what brand do you use, what are the good ones?  I see Motorola makes some with a claimed 35 mile range,  I wonder how realistic that claim is.

terrym

If you are on water in perfect weather you might but for hunting birds I doubt you get more than a mile. 

SelbyLowndes

I have used them to communicate boat to boat with others I have fished with in the Everglades. Regular VHF with an antenna works better, but if you are in a boat without one, the walkie talkie can get you out of a jam..SelbyLowndes

oak stob
2 hours ago, Curt said:

Just wondering if any of you guys use walkie talkies when bird hunting?  You know, to keep in touch with friends who may be hunting a few miles away or so where there is no cell service....

No, they might ask if I heard all that shooting in my direction.

Skybuster
1 hour ago, terrym said:

If you are on water in perfect weather you might but for hunting birds I doubt you get more than a mile. 

Yeah that. I used my Motorolas grouse hunting with friends once and the range was less than a mile. I don't carry any more weight than I need to.

EB&Me

We will use them sometimes to comunicate, generally we're only less then a half mile apart. They are handy sometimes. They help me keep tabs on my dad, who is 83 years old. I worry about him falling or something and I don't know exactly where he is. He doesn't like having his hand held,lol.

QuailhunterNZ

When out hunting with someone else usually take a pair of GME TX6160 TP 5 watt walky talkies. Saves yelling to get your partners attention or chasing them to say the quail went the other way! Sometimes reception can be patchy in hill country but not as frustrating as trying to find your mate who's playing "find me if you can". 

terrym

We actually use them in winter when we hunt jackrabbits on snow. Farms we hunt aren't huge so they help coordinate when we start drives.