FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Flairball

Bailey’s debut

Flairball

Bailey ran his first trial today. I entered him in the Patriot club open stake, where Steve Church handled him. It did not go as well as I’d have liked, but it wasn’t a disaster, either. 

He he had a nice first series with a find and a real nice retrieve, followed shortly by an honor, and then his second find right off the honor. His second bird as a fly away, but that was good enough. 

His second series was different. He started out nice, but while honoring his brace mates flush and retrieve he became enthralled with the area of the mark. After his brace mate’s retrieve was completed, Steve cast him to the left ( away from the previous mark) but Bailey made a quick turn and crossed the entire course, blowing off the whistle 😡, to investigate the area of the fall, before returning to Steve, who promptly picked him up. The good news is, he didn’t get into any trouble with other birds on his exploration, so there was zero reward for his effort. 

Oh well. He’s just a pup doing what a 16 month old should be expected to do. I’ve no doubt with more training, and experience he’ll come around. 

Pat Berry

Missed this topic earlier. I shagged for Bailey in the first series, and while he did some puppyish things, he's doing very well for such a young dog. There's clearly a lot of upside for Bailey and he's in great hands with Steve Church. Good luck moving forward, Larry.

Coalman

I saw Bailey this summer as Gracie and I trained weekly with Steve. Bailey is in good hands with Churchie's Kennel and Gun Dog Training School.

Gracie will be 9 months old on the 28th and will be hunting wild birds in October. I love the way Steve trains. It is all about birds and Gracie was a good student.