Jump to content
FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
john mcg

Mothers?

Recommended Posts

john mcg

What ever happened to them? Several years ago, I bought a Mother’s Vest Pack and used it but once or twice in the Northwoods. I do believe it’s going to come in real handy traipsing over miles of prairie. Pulled it out of a tote the other day and got to google wondering. Nada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

They were one of the first UJ Ad Sponsors, and went out of business many moons ago. Some people bought inventory including myself. I Auction MOTHER vesta had Packs every summer on the Auction like I just did this Summer.

 

Member martyg created, owned, and ran MOTHER. Rather than me so speculate, I'll let him address this. He is quite active here so will no doubt chime in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martyg

We had a variety of businesses going in design, manufacturing and tech. One of those businesses was designing and manufacturing, under contract, the products that many people on this board waxed philosophically about. That was quite robust. MOTHER was a brand extension of those efforts. As long as I had an office in China and all of the infrastructure it was easy to launch a brand.

 

At the end of the day, MOTHER was 3% of revenue, and about 20% of effort. The math just didn't pencil out, so we shuttered it. It was fun, but ultimately it did not meet our ROI goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john mcg
34 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

They were one of the first UJ Ad Sponsors, and went out of business many moons ago. Some people bought inventory including myself. I Auction MOTHER vesta had Packs every summer on the Auction like I just did this Summer.

 

Member martyg created, owned, and ran MOTHER. Rather than me so speculate, I'll let him address this. He is quite active here so will no doubt chime in. 

I didn't realize it was Marty's gig. I bought it way back then and its been in a tote with other various types of packs...hydration and otherwise. I could have a yard sale or better yet open a pack retail store and re-home some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john mcg
3 minutes ago, martyg said:

We had a variety of businesses going in design, manufacturing and tech. One of those businesses was designing and manufacturing, under contract, the products that many people on this board waxed philosophically about. That was quite robust. MOTHER was a brand extension of those efforts. As long as I had an office in China and all of the infrastructure it was easy to launch a brand.

 

At the end of the day, MOTHER was 3% of revenue, and about 20% of effort. The math just didn't pencil out, so we shuttered it. It was fun, but ultimately it did not meet our ROI goals.

Thanks, Marty. Mine is like new and going over it yesterday---its a fine design and it will see a carton of use now that the prairie is outside my door.

Much thanks, for the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martyg
2 hours ago, john mcg said:

Thanks, Marty. Mine is like new and going over it yesterday---its a fine design and it will see a carton of use now that the prairie is outside my door.

Much thanks, for the effort.

 

Right on. I kept a few packs for my old age. Hopefully my supply will outlast me.

 

Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NECarson
4 hours ago, martyg said:

 

Right on. I kept a few packs for my old age. Hopefully my supply will outlast me.

 

Enjoy.

Shouldn't you hope that the outlast the long lasting supply? Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Steese

I've spent a lifetime searching for the perfect vest.I'm still searching but the closest I've come is my Mother lightweight summer model. If it goes I wanna go too and we can be buried together.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WI Outdoor Nut

Agree - great vest.  I wore mine over 10 season.  I really had a tough time retiring this vest, but due to too many seasons in the grouse woods, I was starting to lose shells and water bottles from the holes.

 

Was a great vest, but understand the business model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martyg

If I trip across a few extra units I will post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john mcg
1 minute ago, martyg said:

If I trip across a few extra units I will post.

Not enough to hit the 'like' button.

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×