FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
bmeador

Laptop Recommendations Needed

NECarson
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Hmmm, you might be able to get all you need with an iPad or other PC tablet, all touch screen. Much less expensive than a laptop, different sizes, easy to travel with, etc., etc. you can get refurb iPads from the Apple site at a discount with all the same warranties as new. I spend 95% of my screen time on an iPad and only power up my desktop iMac about once a week. One caveat is if you type a lot. The screen keypad isn't nearly as good as a regular keypad....bit you can but a cordless keypad for tablets as well.

Excellent point. 

I use a tablet for the vast majority of my "computer" activities. 

Marc Ret

My ancient (I think it's 13 or 14) Sony laptop needed replacing earlier this year. My needs were similar to yours- Typing up contracts for work, Google Earth and just limited general use as I use an IPad the majority of time. I really like Apple products but wasn't willing to pay the cost of a MacBook for the little use it would get. I read a bunch of online reviews and settled on this Acer . Wasn't overly costly and has worked well for everything I've used it for. Still not a Windows fan though.🙄

Speaks

While a tablet can do a lot and do more than it could years ago they are still not as functional as a lap top, at least that is true if running an android os, I am less familiar with more recent apples. 

I am a PC guy but I can see some real appeal to apple for a personal machine. If mine was not also used for work I could see considering it. In terms of specs the one think I would for sure not skimp on is ram. Windows 10 does not run well without enough of it. I would say 8gigs is bare minimum and 16 is worth the money. 

I use a surface pro that I really like, looking at current specs and price for them though I would point you toward a Mac before the surface. 

Looking at best buy right now you can get a dell with 16 gigs ram, an i7 processor and 256g solid state drive for around $550, or a refurbished mac book pro for $700 or a new mac book air for $900. 

john mcg

An iPad Pro with a bluetooth keyboard is pretty robust these days. What I most like about Apple stuff other than reliability and the UI is the fact that they talk to each other so well. iPhone, iPad and iMac--if its on one, its on the others. Seamless hand-off.

I'm biased, as I've been a Mac guy before they were Macs.

LOL

NECarson
49 minutes ago, john mcg said:

An iPad Pro with a bluetooth keyboard is pretty robust these days. What I most like about Apple stuff other than reliability and the UI is the fact that they talk to each other so well. iPhone, iPad and iMac--if its on one, its on the others. Seamless hand-off.

I'm biased, as I've been a Mac guy before they were Macs.

LOL

I am envious of how well my wife's stuff all syncs. Two iPhones and an iPad. 

I use android just because it's what I know... 

john mcg
4 minutes ago, NECarson said:

I am envious of how well my wife's stuff all syncs. Two iPhones and an iPad. 

I use android just because it's what I know... 

True for the vast majority of our fellow humans...."just because".

bmeador

I decided to go ahead and go bigger and better than I first thought.  Got an HP Pavilion 17.  Tina said it would be nice to have all the bells and whistles, ability to watch a DVD out in the boonies...  So now I am learning how to use it, this is the first post.  LOL

dvmweb

We just got an HP stream that should work. For about $300.

It has usb, hdmi, and a card slot.

Starts pretty quickly.

I love my iPad.

NECarson
2 hours ago, john mcg said:

True for the vast majority of our fellow humans...."just because".

The devil you know...