FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
john mcg

Bamboo

john mcg

For giggles and other stuff that is fun and or rewarding. I acquired an Orvis Battenkill 'Impregnated' rod some time back.

The only other printing on the rod is a number '3380'.

It is, other than the cork which shows some use, like new without a mark on it. It feels like a 5 wt. with a very pleasant soft action that is a joy to fish.

IMG_5671.jpeg

IMG_5672.jpeg

IMG_5673.jpeg

IMG_5674.jpeg

Marc Ret

Very nice. 

You may already know this but you can call Orvis and they should be able to give you some info on the rod. Assuming they still offer the service, you should at least find out the build date and who made it. 

Get that thing on the water. 

john mcg
1 hour ago, Marc Ret said:

Very nice. 

You may already know this but you can call Orvis and they should be able to give you some info on the rod. Assuming they still offer the service, you should at least find out the build date and who made it. 

Get that thing on the water. 

Yup--I will do that.

I have fished in in NH and upstate NY. I liked the action so much, I purchased a Reddington Classic Trout, which also a softer action rod. Both make for a pleasant 'relaxed' speed to make nice loops.

watermen

You  getting into any of the trout near you yet?

john mcg
11 hours ago, watermen said:

You  getting into any of the trout near you yet?

No I haven't. I did some exploratory trips during the heat of the summer. The tailwater below Tenkiller and  the Roaring in Missouri--while there, I learned of a small stream with native trout that shall remain unnamed. Word has it that it isn't fished over much because of its difficulty. I look forward to checking out the Roaring downstream when things cool down some. Near the headwaters is far too much like ducks in a pond for my liking. Frankly--we have been busy getting settled into our new digs and such. PM me, if you want to get together. Maybe chase some of those 'doodles?

🙂

john mcg

I asked for information on the rod at a fly rod forum and got this reply...quite a complete answer.

LOL

It's the 8-foot, 4 1/4-oz, 13/64-ferrule, medium-action model. The rod was made in late-1962. Orvis recommended a HCH or HCF silk line for the rod--about equivalent to synthetic DT7 or WF7 lines.

This model was produced from the 1940s (it's listed in the 1948 catalog) through 1962--you have one of the last ones. It was also available in the lower "Manchester" and "99" grades.

Orvis adopted the weight-based AFTMA line standards in 1963. They changed a number of rod tapers that year to better cast the new lines--the 8-foot, 13/64-ferrule model (now 4 3/8-oz) was one of them.

It, and the later 4 3/8-oz model were Orvis' most popular rods by a wide margin. Orvis heavily promoted them as all-around fly rods. I've used my 4 3/8-oz rod for #18 BWOs to Great Lakes steelhead and it does a very nice job. I take it out when water conditions are uncertain because of its versatility.

JonR

Orvis keeps very complete records of their bamboo rod production - send them the serial # they could probably tell you who varnished the guides and what he had for lunch that day.

Excellent find - FWIW I wouldn't use it for steelhead, but it's not my rod.  :)

john mcg
11 minutes ago, JonR said:

Orvis keeps very complete records of their bamboo rod production - send them the serial # they could probably tell you who varnished the guides and what he had for lunch that day.

Excellent find - FWIW I wouldn't use it for steelhead, but it's not my rod.  :)

I wouldn't either. The action is said to be Medium, but it doesn't seem so to me and I have a WF 6 on a reel that I've set to it. Its a 2 piece with a fair spine to the cork side, but the second has, to me, a soft action that requires a very relaxed swing. It sure lays down a dry gently.

Big Pine

Nice rod!  I also have a 8' rod of the same vintage, a custom order with the original owner's name written above the cork.  It's a nice rod.  

Orvis bamboo is fun because it's tough, pleasant to cast and fish, and relatively easy to find and buy.  Enjoy it!

john mcg
3 minutes ago, Big Pine said:

Nice rod!  I also have a 8' rod of the same vintage, a custom order with the original owner's name written above the cork.  It's a nice rod.  

Orvis bamboo is fun because it's tough, pleasant to cast and fish, and relatively easy to find and buy.  Enjoy it!

Back at ya....and thank you.

bbermann

NIce rod! Based on the length and ferrule size, this rod was likely made for HDH line which translates to a 6 but a lot of people do go a line lighter on these. I have a few Orvis bamboo rods I fish.

3380      1/24/47 Special - 16/64 & 10/64 ferrules
8 1/2 - 3

Built by Cal Skinner