61bhs

What is it?

61bhs

Found at yard sale.

CE901764-97D5-4852-AE0D-CF7AB6E88CE3.jpeg

A4241570-386D-4BFB-82BC-B3E7FEC3B75E.jpeg

BDC2F627-7410-4C5D-A286-946CB3EA89A1.jpeg

john mcg

Looks like a very cool old rudimentary Vernier Caliper.

OH Grouser

Yep, that is a vernier caliper produced by the L.S. Starrett company.

Roger

walt lister

It's a caliper but I don't see vernier markings on the sliding jaw. Looks like it's meant to be read in 1/64ths/inch increments.

BlacknTan

It's a caliper, but as Walt states, no vernier scale.

Probably first generation #25. I was in the trade since the late 1960's and have never seen one that old. That is a nice find, and in excellent condition. Remove the space bar near the fixed jaw, which in reality is not really fixed, and read externally. As it is, it is set to read internal diameters.

To paraphrase an old commercial.. "We've come a long way, baby!"

john mcg

I've learned something new! Thanks, fellas.

VizslavsBird

I have never seen a caliper with the sliding jaw like this one.  Can someone explain the function for the second bar/set screw as well as adjustment between the two sliding clamps?

OH Grouser

You guys are right, there is no vernier scale...

I've got an old Starrett #122 model, with similar jaw movement design. It does have the vernier graduations and is good to .001 inch, measures ID on one side and OD on the other. I'm not a machinist, and this thing was built way before my time, but it seems the sliding jaw is left unlocked during use. Position the sliding jaw and second bar close to the expected dimension, lock down the second bar and use the knob to move the sliding jaw back and forth to take measurements?

Or I'd go to our maintenance shop, and just grab the one with a thumb wheel and digital read out - like BnT said, we've come a long way. 

Roger

770793096_20180918_1657381.thumb.jpg.4257c646aad7d51c075662014616eacc.jpg 

2117663649_20180918_1658211.thumb.jpg.59f567412a9c90f08d99b88521b6f02a.jpg

max2

I have one that stay's in the console of my truck and it is amazing how often I use it.  Bought it on a gift card for home depot.  The one you found look's  to have a little more to it. Handy tool .Takes the guess work out of lots of different items . Nut's ,bolts, dowels, pipe and the list goes on & on.  It's quite funny how many times someone says  " hey got a caliper ? "  & I say  " ya i do "  :) 

BlacknTan
16 hours ago, VizslavsBird said:

I have never seen a caliper with the sliding jaw like this one.  Can someone explain the function for the second bar/set screw as well as adjustment between the two sliding clamps?

The "fixed" jaw can be moved to two different positions. As it is set in the photo, it reads internally, over the two smaller, radiused nubs at the end of the jaws. Loosen the set screw, slide the fixed jaw to the end of the beam, and read externally.

WI Outdoor Nut

Soooo......in the engineering field, but can say I have never seen one this old.  Very cool find. 

VizslavsBird

Thanks

bntsetter

Cool Find. The one I learned on had a dial....no digital read out for this guy.  Oh...not in the engineering field but my parents owned a machine shop where summer labor was required. ;) Personally I prefer a Mic but the vernier was easier and faster to read but the mic fit better in the back pocket.

Kemo Sabe

A newer version:

7B73C438-52EC-4EA6-A0B9-4C078F510E6C.jpeg