FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
DocE

I'm Amazed (or not)

DocE

I'm amazed at the number of people who are running HTs or FTs when hunting seasons

are open....... Maybe hunting isn't open in some areas, so HT and FT would make sense.

Hal Standish

Maybe so or maybe no! Canine activities are a hoot none the less.  

max2
5 minutes ago, Hal Standish said:

Maybe so or maybe no! Canine activities are a hoot none the less.  

When I got my first GSP the breeder asked me what I intended to do with the dog  ?  Trial he asked ? No I replied . I want to hunt w-c & grouse in NY.    He came back with you should consider trialing him.  My response was and is still the same - I am not competitive  and not sure if it would be for me.  With that a big laugh as he turned and walked away from me. I could hear him say start trialing you will become competitive . I loved that response . It still puts smile on my face.  I know what he meant now .  Just watching a dog put it together is a hoot.  To take one to the place that the serious folks bring them. Well (IMO) that's a whole other place. 

I do enjoy following the  dog posts  and  my hats off to all that take it to the top shelf ! Good stuff !   

kgb

You might have to define hunting seasons.  We hold our Fall test in early October.  Grouse season opens in September and runs through the Fall but the big draw of course is pheasant/quail which don't roll in until the end of October.  Not many tests offered after that happens, and the timing seems good for those who get out in September for grouse to kick off the season and then come play a game before the main events. 

For a number of years we held our tests in SE Nebraska at a farm where Prairie Chickens often roamed around the back course.  First to run are always Master Hunter dogs and few survived contact with the chickens.  They would at least vacate the area once airborne so they didn't persistently fail dogs, but nobody wanted to be in the first or second brace.  

Grifish

Dogs, Hunt Tests and Trialing is responsible for my wife’s new found love of hunting.  I am more than happy to sacrifice a weekend hunt for a weekend trial.  Going to Nationals has allowed me to hunt places that I would never have hunted with a wife who would not have hunted. Life’s a compromise, I rather compromise somewhere else. 

We are going to Maine in a week. Trial in NY on the Sunday on the way up and Trial in ME on the way home.  End of October, Nationals and a bit of woodcock and grouse. Works for us!

2B699091-F6C3-439B-882D-1834779522E0.jpeg

RSOutfitters

Good luck Sam and Kurt!  Cant wait to see that champion again at The Fly Fishing & Wingshooting Expo!

Biggggybmf

Why cant you hunt and trial at the same time?  Trial on the weekends and hunt on the weekdays?  Not sure why both cant be achieved in a season?

DocE
6 minutes ago, Biggggybmf said:

Why cant you hunt and trial at the same time?  Trial on the weekends and hunt on the weekdays?  Not sure why both cant be achieved in a season?

Because I work 4 days a week,

I run dogs in HRC and there aren't very many HTs in HRC once hunting starts up.

Biggggybmf
1 hour ago, DocE said:

Because I work 4 days a week,

I run dogs in HRC and there aren't very many HTs in HRC once hunting starts up.

I work 6 days a week and make it happen so....... sounds like a personal problem