FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
john mcg

Orvis

john mcg

I wonder how much they pay catalog models...and whether discounts are available for said employed.

paul frey

I have a friend who modeled for Eddie Bauer.  Not sure what they paid him, but he has a lot of nice Eddie Bauer upland gear. 

BlacknTan

They don't send me their catalog... I'm too pedestrian.

If they had items pre-torn, I might be interested.

oak stob

Oh, Orvis...thought the question might have been in regards to Men’s Warehouse.....never mind.

Cooter Brown

I've never understood the reverse snobbery I see about Orvis.  We bitch about big retailers like Cabela's and Bass Pro and others before them racing to the bottom and then turn around and bitch about Orvis being elite poofs when they strive to maintain good quality and service and have the temerity to charge for it.

I've had nothing but good quality products and excellent service from Orvis.  As far as I know it's still how they operate.  Of course the good customer service and warranties are built into the price, but they always are and have to be.  This ain't Venezuela yet.

It doesn't bother me one bit that I'm too ruggedly handsome to be a model for their catalog.

john mcg

I'm serious. I need a few extra bucks.

The models are far too pretty for the context. I may campaign for change.

BlacknTan
18 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

I've never understood the reverse snobbery I see about Orvis.  We bitch about big retailers like Cabela's and Bass Pro and others before them racing to the bottom and then turn around and bitch about Orvis being elite poofs when they strive to maintain good quality and service and have the temerity to charge for it.

I've had nothing but good quality products and excellent service from Orvis.  As far as I know it's still how they operate.  Of course the good customer service and warranties are built into the price, but they always are and have to be.  This ain't Venezuela yet.

It doesn't bother me one bit that I'm too ruggedly handsome to be a model for their catalog.

I was just teasing a bit...

I have no problem with Orvis. That said, they don't send me their catalog anymore...

John...

I haven't seen a recent photo, but I say go for it. I'd enjoy seeing you togged out for the uplands, and a later cocktail party.. And, keep those muddy Setters out of the back of the Range Rover!!

Cooter Brown
1 minute ago, BlacknTan said:

I figured that about all the responses and wasn't targeting anyone in the thread, but Orvis does sometimes seem to attract unwarranted derision.

I've dropped off most mailing lists myself--I used to get every catalog imaginable.  I think it's partly because I'm not ordering as much as I used to and partly because internet commerce has changed the market so much.

john mcg
18 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

I have no problem with Orvis. That said, they don't send me their catalog anymore...

John...

I haven't seen a recent photo, but I say go for it. I'd enjoy seeing you togged out for the uplands, and a later cocktail party.. And, keep those muddy Setters out of the back of the Range Rover!!

Ha! You are gonna have to order a catalog.

😂

pa'tridge hunters

We were in the Orvis store in Manchester last winter, the sales lady went so far out of her way to be helpful that went sent an email to store manager say how happy we were the service. We have always be happy with the online service as well. You get what you pay for.

Flairball

I think all the models are “friends”. I was surprised to see a guy I know posing in an Orvis catalog a couple years ago. Often the pics have captions saying who the model is. 

Cooter Brown
22 minutes ago, Flairball said:

I think all the models are “friends”.

Amish?

DennisMcFeely

If I'm not mistaken one or two of the "models" I've seen in the catalog are twentysomethings Perkins who work for the family business.  I like that.

john mcg
27 minutes ago, Flairball said:

I think all the models are “friends”. I was surprised to see a guy I know posing in an Orvis catalog a couple years ago. Often the pics have captions saying who the model is. 

So much for making a few extra easy bucks.

Brad H

I have become a big Orvis fan. I have had a few really good customer service experiences with them.

One time I bought a bunch of shirts, some of them shrunk and some didn’t. I contacted the customer service to see if they could help me figure out the model numbers so that when I bought new shirts I just bought the type of shirts that did not shrink. I had bought the shirts over a long period and the customer service rep went through my order history to find the information for me. I was really pleased that they would take the time to do that

Then they asked me if I would like to return the shirts that shrunk. I told them that I have had them for months and washed and worn them several times and I did not think that it was appropriate for me to return them. The rep said that I want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase and we would like you to return them. I was really surprised that they would do that.

It was a good plan on their part because at the time I was looking at a pair for $350 Schnees boots and I decided to buy them from them because of their customer service. Since then I have bought a lot of stuff from them.

I get a kick out of the models in the catalog, some of them appear to be guides and the Perkins family. I think that it is great to see them in the catalog.