john mcg

Orvis

oak stob

When Orvis introduced their Wing-Shooting Handbook....I bought one.

The little book supplied, in a trim nutshell, the basics and importance of scattergun dimensions, along with all the other stuff.

Even tho I had seen the same information in numerous other sources for years, the presentation appeared to have affected me and forced me to measure as there were scribbles of pitch and drop on several pages.

For example, I must have been shooting a 627EL at the time, as it’s 1/8” cast-off was noted.

I send a belated thank-you to Orvis for fueling the imagination and feeding the interest of a birdhunter ever looking for reasons.

I suspect they are still performing much the same good work....helping birdhunters and helping those who we birdhunters turn to for all the fiddly stuff of wonder.

BlacknTan

I find it a bit sad that some joking, tongue in cheek responses characterized as mockery...

I guess we all have our prejudices and ill conceived notions of what others are truly thinking. I'm no better... I often suffer the same affliction.

john mcg

I was not mocking--just having some fun. Not meant at all to cast any negative light on Orvis. I like Orvis.

I thought it might be something everyone could relate to and have some fun with.

I do need to make some extra money and am trying to leverage my leverage.

BlacknTan
7 minutes ago, john mcg said:

I was not mocking--just having some fun. Not meant at all to cast any negative light on Orvis. I like Orvis.

I thought it might be something everyone could relate to and have some fun with.

I do need to make some extra money and am trying to leverage my leverage.

I think you be a great model, John..

You're an able and conscientious sportsman of impeccable character and credentials, and most of all, you run classic setters which fits the personae of the Orvis clientele quite perfectly.... Pip, pip, old chap!!

Just kidding Orvis.... No mockery here. You really should give John a look for the next catalog. It would add a realistic component, and something we could all relate to.. having one of our own.

And, please be sure to send me a copy... I might purchase something!

Disclaimer... this was penned by a relatively unintelligent, lifelong blue collar worker, so please take my comments from where they come..

john mcg
1 minute ago, BlacknTan said:

I think you be a great model, John..

You're an able and conscientious sportsman of impeccable character and credentials, and most of all, you run classic setters which fits the personae of the Orvis clientele quite perfectly.... Pip, pip, old chap!!

Just kidding Orvis.... No mockery here. You really should give John a look for the next catalog. It would add a realistic component, and something we could all relate to.. having one of our own.

And, please be sure to send me a copy... I might purchase something!

Bill--thanks for the belly laugh.

That was awesome!

😂

Brad Eden

Ad sponsors know going in that they are not immune to critiques, sometimes negative and hopefully also positive responses. It's the nature of a discussion forum. Post away. But I will always point out an Ad Sponsor when they are being discussed no matter the tone. They deserve it. I sensed it as mocking, but then again I have a totally different perspective than Members, given that I need to keep this ship powering forward, obviously. 

BlacknTan
2 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Bill--thanks for the belly laugh.

That was awesome!

😂

I was not merely stroking you John... That's how i felt about you years ago, and nothing has changed..

john mcg
3 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

I was not merely stroking you John... That's how i felt about you years ago, and nothing has changed..

Gee wiz--thank you Bill, but I feel I don't deserve such.

Brad Eden

Bromance.

BlacknTan
11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Bromance.

I think good and ethical people should be lauded for their good character. No bull...

Besides, he just might be in an upcoming Orvis catalog... or perhaps a calendar of honest, no BS Sportsmen.

Cooter Brown

Clearly Orvis fans here.  The reverse snobbery I was referring to is really prevalent on some of the local boards around here where out-tough-guying each other seems to be a sport as popular as the fishing and hunting the boards are supposed to be about.  And Orvis stuff is seen as only used by the sort who look the part but don't play the game.  You might as well try to start a discussion on Emily Dickinson.

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Clearly Orvis fans here.  The reverse snobbery I was referring to is really prevalent on some of the local boards around here where out-tough-guying each other seems to be a sport as popular as the fishing and hunting the boards are supposed to be about.  And Orvis stuff is seen as only used by the sort who look the part but don't play the game.  You might as well try to start a discussion on Emily Dickinson.

I wonder how much of that is due to the attitudes of some of Orvis' patrons they may have encountered or is it just preconceived notions by the individuals you reference? I live in the heart of some of the east's most famed trout waters and will say I have had a few instances  where I've overheard comments or gotten "the look" on those streams because I don't quite look like I stepped off the cover of a fly-fishing rag. 

Not at all meant as an indictment of Orvis or their clientele as a whole. They sell a lot of great gear. I don't care for snobbery of any kind, regardless towards whom it's directed.  Just an observation from a couple interactions stream side.

Typical look for cool days on the creek (Filson waders under and Filson vest over the ratty sweatshirt and camo  jacket. I do have a great appreciation for quality gear🙂). 

image.jpeg

apachecadillac
16 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

You might as well try to start a discussion on Emily Dickinson.

Well, I recently tried to start a discussion about Milais and Courbet vs. Renoir and Monet, but I didn't get any takers.  Of course that was over in the Cabela gun room bashing thread, not here in the precincts of Orvis.

So, Cooter, you read your Emily Dickinson and I my Robert Frost, and we note our place with book markers that measure what we've lost.

Cooter Brown
Just now, apachecadillac said:

Well, I recently tried to start a discussion about Milais and Courbet vs. Renoir and Monet, but I didn't get any takers.Of course that was over in the Cabela bashing thread, not here is the precincts of Orvis.

So, Cooter, you read your Emily Dickinson and I my Robert Frost, and we note our place with book markers that measure what we've lost.

Hell, one time here on the UJ quailguy and I discovered we both liked Jane Austen.

mccuha

They do make some nice stuff. Back when I started spending my on money orvis was one of the places I salivated over.  I have an orvis bird hunting vest I bought back in the early 80’s. I used it up until 2yrs ago when I switched to a Q vest.  It’s a little tattered but when I take someone hunting and they need a vest I let them use it. Also have a canvas shirt I got from there about the same time I got the vest.  I had to retire the shirt a couple yrs ago due to it falling apart