FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
gunsrus

Knotsmith Lanyards

gunsrus

Just thought I'd let the masses know my experience .

A couple weeks back Larry (Knotsmith Lanyards) put up for sale a couple Lanyards . I always wanted one and even bid on last year's that Don won .

I always thought "someday" I'll get one . Well , getting long in the tooth , that "someday" has to be soon cause the "next day" may not come . I pm'd Larry and it was mine . Here's where it gets interesting . I asked if the TruNord compass could be added . Larry said sure but I may wait a few weeks because the compass has to be calibrated for Maine prior to shipping . I was in no hurry , especially knowing that it is Fall and the beginning of Hunting Season and everyone is jammed getting ready . I told Larry , I was meeting several UJers in Camp Oct 14 and that if it was possible , I would like it before then but no big deal , I can wait till whenever . He said he was waiting for a compass to come in for another client and said he probably would not have the compass on time and be able to work on it by my departure date . 

Enter TruNord Compass Mr Gayle Satre who calibrates my compass and sends it along with the one already ordered for the other client .

I just received the Lanyard and Compass today . It is an heirloom for sure . In today's world , customer satisfaction is really appreciated .

You will notice this guy in UJ camp with a big smile on his face even if I miss a few birds here and there . 

Thanks again to Larry and Mr Saitre .

gaberdeen

Can’t wait to see it at camp Al!

BlacknTan

Yup...

We should be good to ourselves as we get on in life...

Enjoy the lanyard.. it certainly is one piece of equipment that no one else can top!

markbrit

No photo?

oak stob

Baler twine works but a true lanyard can become a connection to past days and dogs to which a scattergun or a pair of boots can only dream.

Enjoy slipping it ‘round your experience.

Marc Ret

A handsome compliment to the new XE, Al. Getting close to time to start adding a little history to both. 

SelbyLowndes

I bought the other, the black one.  Outstanding workmanship!  Just a whistle on it now; I'll work up to a compass or something when the time comes...SelbyLowndes  

Don Steese
5 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Just thought I'd let the masses know my experience .

A couple weeks back Larry (Knotsmith Lanyards) put up for sale a couple Lanyards . I always wanted one and even bid on last year's that Don won .

I always thought "someday" I'll get one . Well , getting long in the tooth , that "someday" has to be soon cause the "next day" may not come . I pm'd Larry and it was mine . Here's where it gets interesting . I asked if the TruNord compass could be added . Larry said sure but I may wait a few weeks because the compass has to be calibrated for Maine prior to shipping . I was in no hurry , especially knowing that it is Fall and the beginning of Hunting Season and everyone is jammed getting ready . I told Larry , I was meeting several UJers in Camp Oct 14 and that if it was possible , I would like it before then but no big deal , I can wait till whenever . He said he was waiting for a compass to come in for another client and said he probably would not have the compass on time and be able to work on it by my departure date . 

Enter TruNord Compass Mr Gayle Satre who calibrates my compass and sends it along with the one already ordered for the other client .

I just received the Lanyard and Compass today . It is an heirloom for sure . In today's world , customer satisfaction is really appreciated .

You will notice this guy in UJ camp with a big smile on his face even if I miss a few birds here and there . 

Thanks again to Larry and Mr Saitre .

I really love mine! Glad I out bid ya'!!   But I'm also glad you got one!  It's something I really don't need but that makes me treasure  it even more. I envy people like Larry who can craft something beautiful with their hands.

rawhide

Y'all are most welcome, and I appreciate the comments. 

Since the two orphan lanyards were so well received,  for the next month or so  I am making members of UJ the following offer: I will make a T2 Lanyard with brass swivels (or the nickel steel swivels and scissor snaps) for $250 (that's a 15% discount) plus shipping. You may specify color(s) and length.  You may add options and accessories at the prices posted on the T2 page   (as gunsrus did with his compass).   I will give such orders as much priority as I am able.  Contact me via PM, email, or call.  I wish y'all great seasons!    Thanks.

gunsrus

Some eye candy . It really is a work of art .

IMG_1008.JPG

Ted Moore

That's a beauty! Truly a work of art. Can't wait to see it in person. 

DennisMcFeely

I have one also, it's beautiful.  Larry's craftsmanship is top notch.  A Crazyhorse engraving on the whistle tops it off.

Crazy Horse

This is my "old" Knotsmith lanyard. I like it because it is also a short lead (30 inches??). It comes in handy while crossing roads and such. The alligator clip un-clips from the small loop just below the hand hold loop. I keep a compass and an old nickel plated whistle on it.

Just the other day I got a package in the mail from Larry. In it was a T2FN lanyard that is simply beautiful. I really like the flat braid around the neck. It has 2 counters. I think one is to record my kills, and the other is to record my misses. The only disappointment I have is that with these counters I won't be able to lie about how many birds I missed. I'll be forced to tell the truth. They're not gonna let me in hell anymore. I'm gonna miss all my friends (male & female) down there.

I'm sure you've seen a lot of braided lanyards, anywhere from parachute cord to leather, but you ain't NEVER seen the likes of a Knotsmith lanyard.

Lanyard Smith.jpg

Lanyard 2.JPG

oak stob

I found that Larry will happily work with translating one’s ideas for a lanyard, into a lanyard.....color, knots and so on and he will also work to see that a fella is pleased with the end product.

While mine has seen use, abuse, sweat, and Time all of which have darkened the lighter braid areas, I still see what I imagined a number of years ago.

The main braid, tan with a darker stripe which, when the main line is held together, makes a fine semblance of a pheasant’s tail feather.

The main knot itself is a ruffed grouse tail feather...Larry worked on that one til he got ‘er as I wanted and the dark knotted balls siding the counter represent the dark eye of a woodcock.

He also made the lanyard long enough so that when I have the whistle in a shirt pocket, the grouse feather knot hangs vertical.

You will be surprised and pleased if you take the time to imagine, and then ask, in making a Knotsmith lanyard into a personal totem of sorts.

911FD875-5897-48E3-8CE0-AF6A505195A3.jpeg

oak stob

I’ll also add that I purchased a shooting glasses security lead of a smaller diameter braided lace, as I have been known to lose my glasses in tight cover....and never notice untill I reach the truck.

There is a nice pair of Morgans somewhere on an Ohio hillside woodcock cover....just waiting.

I tried ....never found ‘em.