FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

On every dang cast...

Brad Eden

IMG_0855.JPG

A good friend of ours is in Maine for the summer and early fall. She is renting a camp on a small Pond nearby. I had never even heard about this pond that's just over a 1/2 hr drive from us. No motor boats allowed which is probably why there are no less than 5 Loons on the pond, along with a proliferation of fish. The first time we stopped in there last week  I was seeing a lot of rises and splashing going on. We went back yesterday afternoon so JoAnn could kayak with our friend and I brought my ultralight spinning gear. It was insane. I was hooking up on smallmouth and largemouth Bass on just about every cast from shore or from a canoe that was there. From finger sized fish the size of the spinner or plug to 14-15 inch Bass. The Pond is extremely shallow with a lot of rocky areas. What a blast. I can honestly say I must have hooked over 20 fish in an hour just drifting in front of the camp. It's remarkable how hard a Smallie fights compared to a more lackadaisical Largemouth. Fun stuff.

Reeba

Gotta love smallmouth and their locations

Irishwhistler

Brad,

I love those bronzebacks , pound for pound, great scrappers.👍

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

kgb
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

The Pond is extremely shallow with a lot of rocky areas. 

Sounds like a beautiful stretch of non-flowing bass river, you've got a local gem to hit up from time to time.  Cool.

oldbird

Try a fly rod with some Dahlberg Divers, my go to in the BWCA. Nothin but good ole fashion fun!

mccuha

I’ve caught a few smallies and you are right.  They are a lot harder fighters. I wish we had more around here.   There are some but the water has to be a lot cooler for them to flourish.  Sounds like you had a good day. 

john3903

I fished up your way at a warden supervisors camp, on Nash or Howard lake  and in 2 1/2 hours I caught and released 43 Small mouth Bass

I had a big one on and was just beaching it when the warden stopped by to see how we were doing. It was the day before Bass season opened and I asked if there was any way I could keep that bass.  It went 5 lbs on my scale.  The warden said there was one way I could keep it.  Play it until sun up tomorrow.  Lloyd Clark was his name.  That lake also had trout in it and I was using a fly rod and a brooktrout fin wet fly

There used to be a patch like the Big Buck of Maine Club that said 100 Bass a Day Club, anyone know if that is still in existence?

John3903

Clueless1

They had a Bassmasters something or other a 'few' years ago in Pgh.  We have a dock on the Allegheny River.  Most of the summer leading up to the event we had guys 'practicing' coming up through 4-5 locks to see if they could find 'a spot'. 

I had to crush one poor guys hopes when we were sitting on the dock one morning and he came up through, asked if he could throw a few plugs beside the dock, and if we knew of any great spots.  My answer "You are not finding the bass you want here.  I can show you where to find smallmouths but they aren't going to weigh what you want."  There are some really good smallmouths in there, but they just don't compare to what those guys want as a Florida strain of largemouths. 

The river that I grew up on was a disaster when I was growing up.  I don't think there was a fish that lived in it because of the coal mine acid drain off.  That river, that I would not even touch as a youngster, is now a thriving smallmouth haven.  It got the "river of the year' designation for PA a few years ago. 

Those smallmouths are something else.  if you throw a 3" lure in some places you will be 'fighting' a 3" fish.  They are unbelievable.  What fish is attacking, and thinking they are going to actually eat, something as big as they are?  Fun stuff.

Brad Eden

The problem may be access to this Pond. It's really small and I don't think there is a state boat ramp. This camp is right on the water and the owners/renters have a full time house just behind it on the same road in. I do want to get back there with my Bass flyrod. That could prove to be a blast.

Marc Ret

Not many freshwater fish can match the fight of a smallmouth bass. The Susquehanna River near my childhood home was a phenomenal smallmouth fishery up till the late 90s/early 2000s when "something" killed off a lot of the life on the river bed. Loved fishing it in the autumn months. Thankfully, it's rebounded and the fish are coming back. I haven't fished it much since the fishery tanked and I got in to fly-fishing around that same time. Just find I enjoy being in small secluded waters more than I enjoy being on large bodies of water in a boat. 

My father with a beautiful Susquehanna smallmouth caught in the shadow of TMI (roughly 400yds from where the pic was taken) in October 1995. 

image.jpeg

Another nice Susquehanna smallmouth caught by a friend's son who was with us in October 2016. 

image.jpeg

salmontogue

Maine's three northernmost counties have Smallies in abundance in the uncounted rivers, streams, brooks, lakes, ponds and potholes.  You could not fish them all in multiple lifetimes.  Thirty to forty years ago, Largemouths were rare but their distribution has expanded through stocking programs, some of which were by amateurs.

There are so many other freshwater species such as Atlantic Salmon (in specific inland locations) Landlocked Salmon, Brook Brown and Rainbow Trout, Lake Trout aka Togue, Yellow Perch, White Perch, Cusk, Whitefish, Pickerel, Pike, a few Muskies and various panfish species.  There are Walleyes but they are small and not widely distributed.

In recent years, Smallies, Lake Trout and Brookies have grown substantially both in numbers and size. 

If you are willing to spend the time, there are amazing opportunities, many in water not identified with a name.

Perk

SelbyLowndes

I'm a pretty dedicated fisherman, but the Smallmouth Bass is still on my 'bucket list'.  I can't imagine 'them ol' brown fish' being any better at pulling than a river bigmouth down here.  I'll just have to test that query out some day...SelbyLowndes

TimJ
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I'm a pretty dedicated fisherman, but the Smallmouth Bass is still on my 'bucket list'.  I can't imagine 'them ol' brown fish' being any better at pulling than a river bigmouth down here.  I'll just have to test that query out some day...SelbyLowndes

Poor guy...you don't know what you don't know. 

You know how people say if bluegills got to 4 or 5lbs you'd never get them in? Well that's a smallmouth. They just never stop. Plus they can jump higher than any green bass.

Tim

MAArcher
On 9/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0855.JPG

A good friend of ours is in Maine for the summer and early fall. She is renting a camp on a small Pond nearby. I had never even heard about this pond that's just over a 1/2 hr drive from us. No motor boats allowed which is probably why there are no less than 5 Loons on the pond, along with a proliferation of fish. The first time we stopped in there last week  I was seeing a lot of rises and splashing going on. We went back yesterday afternoon so JoAnn could kayak with our friend and I brought my ultralight spinning gear. It was insane. I was hooking up on smallmouth and largemouth Bass on just about every cast from shore or from a canoe that was there. From finger sized fish the size of the spinner or plug to 14-15 inch Bass. The Pond is extremely shallow with a lot of rocky areas. What a blast. I can honestly say I must have hooked over 20 fish in an hour just drifting in front of the camp. It's remarkable how hard a Smallie fights compared to a more lackadaisical Largemouth. Fun stuff.

Is it a clean cold spring fed pond?  If so, I'd make sure to remember to go back and take a few through the ice for some good eats.

Britlab

That’s fun on an ultralight