Chukarman

New to me Landcruiser diesel

Chukarman

I just bought a Toyota Landcruiser model HZJ73 - short wheel base. Six cylinder Toyota diesel with an H55F manual 5 speed transmission. This is my new 'company truck' and I will be using it for company marketing and 'research and development'.

HZJ73 Landcruiser.jpg

Cooter Brown

Wow...now THAT is the real successor to the FJ40.  Looks like it even has a removable top.

Grey market?

You have the neatest toys, Batman...I mean Chukarman.

Cold Iron

About all I can say is damn. I know a few made it into Canada. Even fewer into the US down through Canada. 70's series LC Diesel. I'm not jealous. At all.

My FJ55 Iron Pig I bought ~1980 with less than 20K on it for $3,900. 

23444438242_b2e56ef7bd_z.jpg

Of course that would be roughly $12K in today's dollars.

If you ever decide that you need someone else to do some R&D with it I know a guy in Mn....

Chukarman

My first Landcruiser was an FJ40. bought new off the lot in 1972 for $3800 USD. I had many years of excellent adventures in that truck. Since them I have owned an FJ60, FZJ80, and a 100 series, which I am currently driving. They do whatever is needed and never disappoint. The HZJ73 is the latest and is a 1993 from the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM in Landcruiser lingo). It was bought from the midwest and is legally registered in the USA. It is VERY clean and has an outstanding interior and no fluid leaks and only a couple of very minor body dings, which hav been touched up. On the drive from the midwest it got 30 MPG and crusied at 70 to 80 MPH.

It goes to my Landcruiser guru tomorrow for ARB bumpers, roof rack, and some love. We will display this vehicle at SEMA in October, along with a vintage Camel Trophy Land Rover Defender 110.

Dogwood

Cool.  What are your favorite sites for perusing rigs for sale?

gunsrus

The abridged title on the right says , "New to me Landcruiser dies" . I was expecting something else . Good luck with it Mike .

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

The abridged title on the right says , "New to me Landcruiser dies" . I was expecting something else . Good luck with it Mike .

That's what I saw too.  I thought it was gonna be a vehicle memorial thread.

Dakota Dogman

As a vintage 4x4 guy that thing is beautiful (yes of course in a pug so ugly it is cute sort of way).  Very similar to my IHs, but a whole lot nicer and 30 mpg? Wow. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

God bless...

Ps. I just picked up another 77 Scout II from a guy who new I liked them but was in financial straights... I don't need 3 Scouts in the driveway. Just ask my wife. You wouldn't want to trade? 😂😈

Rockdoc
7 hours ago, Chukarman said:

The HZJ73 is the latest and is a 1993 from the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM in Landcruiser lingo). It was bought from the midwest and is legally registered in the USA. It is VERY clean and has an outstanding interior and no fluid leaks and only a couple of very minor body dings, which hav been touched up.

What side is the steering wheel on?

BTW, it's a very nice looking rig!

Steve

Chesepeakes_Man

Mike,

That is a very nice rig !

I am in the market for a BJ44 or 46, basically a diesel with an elongated wheelbase. I would prefer a LHD and they are rare. I may have to bend to a RHD but I will keep searching for one.  I scan several sites but this site is a good one https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/bj42-fj43-bj44-fj45-fj45lv-hj47.327/ 

Have fun, Dale 

Chukarman
3 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

What side is the steering wheel on?

BTW, it's a very nice looking rig!

Steve

Steve - right hand side steering wheel. Not a problem for me as I spent many years driving in the former British colony of Jamaica.

Chukarman
1 hour ago, Chesepeakes_Man said:

Mike,

That is a very nice rig !

I am in the market for a BJ44 or 46, basically a diesel with an elongated wheelbase. I would prefer a LHD and they are rare. I may have to bend to a RHD but I will keep searching for one.  I scan several sites but this site is a good one https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/bj42-fj43-bj44-fj45-fj45lv-hj47.327/ 

Have fun, Dale 

I am very familiar with IH8MUD... a great soruce of information for anyone interested in Landcruisers.

A left hand drive TLC diesel would probably come from central America... seem to be quite a few down there.

Chesepeakes_Man

Mike,

If you guy's need a "rep" up here in Canada I'm your guy !

Dale  

E.Young

Funny you should post this... The truck in the attached was parked outside my house today. Clean as a whistle, a real beauty and the first I've seen in person.

20180922_162552.jpg

Chukarman
23 hours ago, Chesepeakes_Man said:

Mike,

If you guy's need a "rep" up here in Canada I'm your guy !

Dale  

Hmmm... maybe we should talk.