FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Clueless1

Handgun help; grizzly

C.J.L.

Honestly there are 1000's or 1,000,000's of posts like this on the internet about "what PP to use in griz country" and fact is those folks never needed what others recommended. Gun?  Spray? Both?  You're going the have spray and you're going to have a shotgun and you're going to have a bow.  I woundn't mess with you.    

Clueless1

Won't have a shotgun unless we get something down.  Then it will be on the return trip from the truck.

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

The Sig would be an awesome gun but I think its a 8rd mag? 

I believe so but I'd rather have a gun I shoot well as opposed to mag capacity. I simply am more proficient with my Sig Sauers than the Glocks I've had in the past. Probably why I have multiple Sigs and only one Glock in the safe. 

A double stack Sig 10mm would be nice though.🙏

parker 20

An old Alaskan guide once told me to make sure you carry at least a .44 magnum side arm but file the front sight off so when the bear shoves it up your ass it doesn't hurt so much.

Clueless1
5 minutes ago, parker 20 said:

An old Alaskan guide once told me to make sure you carry at least a .44 magnum side arm but file the front sight off so when the bear shoves it up your ass it doesn't hurt so much.

Haha!  I've heard that before.  Also heard the one

Know how to tell the difference between black bear poop and grizzly bear poop?  Grizzly bear poop will smell like bear spray. 

WyomingArt

Let us know what you decide. My take in reading a lot of these threads is the N frame S&W  in .44 Mag, w/  4 or 5 inch  bbl. likely is the most  popular carry for where you're going

(and what I carried for years in a stainless Smith.)   The newer N frame Smiths have a  rubber finger grooved grip that I like.  You might look to see if the .45 Long Colt goes for less money  in your area. 

Second the comments on practice, practice, practice, hard cast loads and chest holsters.  If you buy new, the stainless is probably worth  laying down a few more $$ ,  just one old guy's opinion. 

SelbyLowndes
16 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Won't have a shotgun unless we get something down.  Then it will be on the return trip from the truck.

I'd guess that's when you're most likely to need it...SelbyLowndes

Rob R

I'm not really in to semi-auto pistols but I'll toss a couple thoughts out on revolvers. Different grip shapes can have a big impact on recoil. For single action revolvers two of the best for handling recoil are the Ruger Bisley and the Freedom Arms 83. These can be had in barrel lengths of about 4 1/2" which is pretty good for carry. The grip shape on these makes stout 44 mag and 45 Colt rounds more tolerable for many folks. 

if you don't like the idea of having to thumb back the hammer for each shot in a hairy situation than a double action revolver like the S&W 44 mag or 45 Colt might make sense. A stainless steel Mountain Gun (not currently made but available on the used market) or a 4" 629 are worth a look. You might like the factory grips but there are many aftermarket grips available that can really help with recoil, like the Hogue. Also worth a look are the Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk. These you can get in the heavy chamberings as well. The Super Redhawk has a far better grip shape than the standard Redhawk for recoil.  The Super is available in an "Alaskan" model with short barrel for easier carry. 

Your ammo is also important as many have said. Good brands have been mentioned and another to consider is Garrett.  Their hard cast bullets have a great reputation.  Both 44 mag and 45 Colt are offered in various power levels. 

SUPER FOX

Near the West entrance to Glacier National Park in 2017, a US Forest Service LE Ranger was killed on his mountain bike

while on a trail by a 6-year old grizzly. The rider 50 yds behind saw the biker strike the bear with his bike. Hair at scene determined age. {It is

legal to CARRY a weapon in a US National Park-rules say not to shoot it-your Govt at work}

More than one reader will benefit from this thread series.

Having personal  Alaska homestead land tends to make one serious about  bear stopping cartridges.

For compact reliable carrying, recommend at least a 4-5 in barreled revolver, DA or SA in 44 Magnum or 45 Colt. I carry a 4 3/4 in Ruger Super Black Hawk

in 45 Colt with heavy handloads- Keith bullets. Backup would be a Colt New Service 45 Colt. Practice will make you confident with either  type of pistol.

SA revolvers don't jam and provide indirect sighting time as a benefit.  Choices are personal-make them count. Recent research in US-Canada show handguns & bear spray are more effective than originally thought. DO NOT rely on bear spray alone.

DO NOT carry your handgun in a backpack so as not to offend Sierra Club members. Choose a secure high-riding holster.

For REAL bear protection:  I own two (2): pre-war Winchester Model 71 rifles re-chambered in 450 Alaskan caliber. Virtually guaranteed to re-direct bears.

Chukarman
18 hours ago, SUPER FOX said:

...For REAL bear protection:  I own two (2): pre-war Winchester Model 71 rifles re-chambered in 450 Alaskan caliber. Virtually guaranteed to re-direct bears.

I have a Winchester Model 71 Deluxe Rifle but in the standard .348 Winchester. I saw a Model 71 in, I think, 400 Alaskan for sale at the shop where i bought my 71... it may still be there for sale - with ammo, brass and a die set. Pretty cool rifle.

dogrunner

Better keep those handguns ready. 

6B78D056-092F-4974-BE41-9ADD4F927FE6.jpeg