FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Speaks

pants

Speaks

I have always mostly hunted in jeans and thrown on Filson chaps when I needed a bit more protection. I am generally upgrading gear this year so was curious if there are good options for an upland hunting pant that would not require the chaps. 

MUSTANGER7

I use Redhead jeans with the brush guards part sew on the front and about to the knees on the back. Have the same two pair for four or five years.

Crazy Horse

Check out Duluth for upland pants.

john mcg

Look at the LL Bean pants.

Flairball

Pants? Who needs them?

Like you, I have had a preference for jeans and chaps. Still do. 

That said, I bought a pair of Orvis brush pants at an Orvis outlet, and they are the most comfortable brush pants I’ve ever worn. Love them. Sadly, they seem to be a discontinued model. I’ve not seen any similar to them online since I bought these. So this is no help to you. Sorry. Good luck with you quest. 

Rick (VA)

First question is where do you hunt? Big difference in walking the priaire vs. pushing through briars.

MEdooGuide

I wore pants for a while but found myself going back to my chaps last year. After a couple days in the field without a wash the brush pants stink like sour rearend and can stand up on their own.... 

Brad Eden

Never owned a pair of dedicated Upland pants. Just jeans and chaps. Maybe when I get older and more experienced.😎

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Check out Duluth for upland pants.

There ok but heavy and hot early in the season also I wish the pockets were deeper. 

SelbyLowndes

Jeans and chaps or just knee high snake boots or gaitors work for me.  No more Levis though...SelbyLowndes

WMassGriff

Partial to LLBean Pants. Wish they would reintroduce the ones with tick sleeves in the legs!

oak stob

I like a pair of pants that takes a nice crease down each leg as I believe that makes it easier to push thru switch in acting much like the prow of a ship.

However, I look to hunting wear for comfort which is why jeans do not make the grade in requiring a belt....chaps which I guess are those slip on deals may also require a belt for a top hold. Add in constriction going up hill and I will leave the jeans to those w/o my limits or my desires.

I do envy you folks a bit....more than a bit actually.

Oh.....another nod to LL Bean field trousers....the lightest weight and facing available.

A bit of scratches from multiflowery or greenbrier or whatever is absolutely ok, to me.

john mcg
Just now, WMassGriff said:

Partial to LLBean Pants. Wish they would reintroduce the ones with tick sleeves in the legs!

Yup--mine have the built in elastic gizmo, but I've noticed they no longer make those. Hard to understand that decision based on functionality.

I keep a pair of Filson tin chaps in the tote and they are handy now and then, but I find an over-sized pair of pants and the mighty gallus much more comfortable. Bibs when its colder are might fine, as well. Again--its that absence of something tight around the midsection, I find most best.