FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
WMassGriff

Burley Airgrip w foam Insulation vs Muck Wetland

WMassGriff

Had a blowout on my old rubber boots today. Looking for another pair of hunting rubber boots with light insulation and considering these. Ankle support important. Any comments you care to share? thanks

Curt

Just took delivery of a new pair of Muck Wetland boots a couple weeks ago and took them out for a test drive last Friday.  I'll be using these to hunt creek bottoms, swamp edges, etc., or just on any really wet day.  I logged about 2 miles in them on Friday along a local creek bottom with several beaver ponds and lots of brushy cover.  They have good support and fairly deep tread for sure footing in mud, etc.  I had to put a pair of Spenco arch supports in them to give me added support and the snug fit I wanted but I do the same with my Danners as well.  Just based upon my initial usage I think I'm going to like these boots.  I bought mine from LL Bean, they were offering free shipping.

Speaks

Never used either of these specific ones, but do like my alpha burleys. They just seemed to fit me better than Muck for some reason. 

I have also heard real good things about gumleaf boots, never used them myself either though. 

Brad Eden

Timely. In a nutshell. I have a pair of Muck Wetlands that I've had for over 10 years. At this point the neoprene uppers are pretty well shredded but the bottom rubber is still fine. So they do leak if submerged up past the upper. But hey, over ten years of hard use.  Always liked them a lot. Only issue is they absolutely stink. I don't generally have smelly feet but after wearing these they smell like a lion pissed in them. My boot dryer cuts that down but same thing after I wear them.

I bought the high Burley Air Grips a couple months ago via internet, bought size 11 after researching, and I was swimming in them. Sent them back. Turns out I saw a 12" high pair at a local store just a week ago, tried on a size 10 and they fit great. (I typically take a large 10.5 or an 11 so BUY small) The jury is out with what little use they have seen, but so far so good. Very comfortable, and I sort of like the shorter size. Only problem....is they stink...not inside but the boots really smell like rubber, so they won't be seeing any bow hunting right off u less that smell goes away, but will try them for wet Upland hunting and maybe early morning wet rifle deer hunting....and slip them on over winter for quick snow removal chores.

salmontogue
27 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Timely. In a nutshell. I have a pair of Muck Wetlands that I've had for over 10 years. At this point the neoprene uppers are pretty well shredded but the bottom rubber is still fine. So they do leak if submerged up past the upper. But hey, over ten years of hard use.  Always liked them a lot. Only issue is they absolutely stink. I don't generally have smelly feet but after wearing these they smell like a lion pissed in them. My boot dryer cuts that down but same thing after I wear them.

I bought the high Burley Air Grips a couple months ago via internet, bought size 11 after researching, and I was swimming in them. Sent them back. Turns out I saw a 12" high pair at a local store just a week ago, tried on a size 10 and they fit great. (I typically take a large 10.5 or an 11 so BUY small) The jury is out with what little use they have seen, but so far so good. Very comfortable, and I sort of like the shorter size. Only problem....is they stink...not inside but the boots really smell like rubber, so they won't be seeing any bow hunting right off u less that smell goes away, but will try them for wet Upland hunting and maybe early morning wet rifle deer hunting....and slip them on over winter for quick snow removal chores.

Have you contacted the manufacturer with your observations?  It would be interesting to hear their observations.

Perk

bwjohn

I had a pair of muck’s that lasted about 5 or 6 years and really liked them.  Got a new pair recently and they are already falling apart.

brandon

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

Have you contacted the manufacturer with your observations?  It would be interesting to hear their observations.

Perk

About the lion pee smelling Mucks or the mis-sized rubber smelling Burleys?

WMassGriff

Heading to Maine tomorrow for a vacation with Mrs. I will try both on and see which fits best. I do have a pair of non-insulated Lacrosses and while thin, with minute chevron tread, have worked in bow season. They did stink of rubber when new but have toned down according to last years spike horn. Just a little too slick for a lot of slippery walking. I had to put in a sheepskin fleece liner to take up space as they fit generous.

vabirddog
6 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

Ankle support important.

I did this in a pair of grange boots after I forgot my pronghorns on a mountain gobbler hunt a few years ago. Pull on boots and ankle support are mutuually exclusive in my book. YMMV.

hog camp ankle 005.jpg

salmontogue
9 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

About the lion pee smelling Mucks or the mis-sized rubber smelling Burleys?

Either or both. 

Responsible manufacturers like to hear from consumers even if the comments are negative.  They spend a lot of time and money on advertising and marketing and some view consumer feedback as helpful.  About five years ago, my wife had purchased a nationally known brand of mayonnaise for a family get together including chicken, tuna, egg, pasta and a variety of other salads.  All four jars looked good but the contents had a strangely sour taste.  She was more than a little annoyed because the trip to the nearest grocery store for a replacement is twenty miles from the lake.  The store where the mayo was purchased is close to forty miles distant.,

She called the company on their consumer 800 line and discussed the lot numbers on the jars, point of purchase and gave an involved description of the contents.  They sent a FedEx label and she sent the jars to them.  Within a week she received enough free product coupons for a small mountain of mayonnaise.  They cared.  We remain loyal consumers.

Just before Christmas I purchased packs of batteries made by a well known manufacturer.  All the use by dates and the lot numbers were identical.  Roughly thirty to forty percent of the batteries had voltages of 1.04 to 1.09.  Fresh from the package batteries usually test at 1.55 or above.  I contacted the company.  They asked for use by dates, lot numbers, a copy of my receipt and a photo of a bad battery being tested.  Ain't technology wonderful.  I emailed all of those items along with pictures of some of the batteries being tested on a Fluke multimeter.  Several weeks later, I received enough free battery coupons to keep me going for several years.  They were pleased to get the information.

I'm not suggesting that all manufacturers are responsive but the good ones are.  You should try it.  You never know.

Perk

salmontogue
6 hours ago, vabirddog said:

I did this in a pair of grange boots after I forgot my pronghorns on a mountain gobbler hunt a few years ago. Pull on boots and ankle support are mutuually exclusive in my book. YMMV.

hog camp ankle 005.jpg

Double ouch.

Brad Eden

I get your point Perc. And generally agree.

I'm not sure why the Mucks ended up smelling bad inside. I think it's my fault. Maybe because I only just got a boot dryer and they sat with foot sweat after every outing for over 10 years. I use to stuff newspaper inside but that only does so much. As far as the Burleys, they simply smell like a new vehicle tire. It's the nature of the rubber. That wouldn't be noticed by most people, unless they were deer hunters particularly bow hunters like me who can be scent obsessed. I would still recommend the Muck Wetlands regardless, and so far the Burleys as well. I'm not  sure that contacting the manufacturer about these two "issues" is necessary or would amount to anything. JMO.

john mcg

Brad...I wonder if dumping. A bunch of baking soda in the stinky boots would help.

salmontogue

Jackie suggests a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water.  Cornstarch to help in drying.

Perk

john mcg

Foot stink juice is acidic.