MDash2

Alpha 100: How to check battery status

MDash2

After about 3 hours of use while hunting the handheld battery went dead. As these things go it happened while grouse hunting several miles from the truck. Old school compass as the backup got me back (a reminded of the importance to have a backup). Anyways, I had fully charged the battery that morning so I'm puzzled as to the issue. My main question to forum members is how do you check the battery status on the handheld? Never noticed before that there is no icon (at least that I can find) for the battery status.  

E.Young

If you hit the side button, it should give you the battery % as part of that screen view, I believe. 

MDash2

Thank you. That does show the battery status icon. 

E.Young

Turn the brightness down and adjust the response rate and you should get a lot of battery life out of the handheld. 

MDash2

I didn't even get 4 hours of use from the handheld battery. Apparently there was a software update, that I had not uploaded until this morning, that amongst other things corrected a battery issue some users were experiencing. The collar also had a software update and my Fenix 3 watch as well. Had not connected with the computer to sync the Garmin gear since last hunting season so hopefully that resolves the issue. Anyone else who has not done a sync lately might want to do that before heading out this season.   

dogrunner

If I run my handheld all day I still usually have about 50% left and I run it at 80% brightness. I just updated my handheld and it only took a minute, I only do it once a year and never really see a difference. I have never did the collars, didn't know you had too. I always have 2 batteries ready to go. 

gunsrus
14 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

If I run my handheld all day I still usually have about 50% left and I run it at 80% brightness. I just updated my handheld and it only took a minute, I only do it once a year and never really see a difference. I have never did the collars, didn't know you had too. I always have 2 batteries ready to go. 

I do the same .

I have not updated my collars , no issues . I think Tony (hayslope) told me not to if I have a mac .