oldbird

Brake job!

oldbird

Got 115,000 on  my Tundra. Time for brakes, should I go to dealership for OEM parts job or Midas etc?

WPG Gizmo

Midas warranties the parts that is where I would go plus they are not going to give you a list of things that you should have done like the dealer would do

jeff88

Most tire chains do brakes as well and warranty their work, if you go to one already they can be good enough.  Since you are out of warranty, why go back to the dealer?  I take my rides to the dealer only when under their warranty, once over, bye bye.  The exception is tire/wheel stuff like alignments, balance and tire installs...

Cooter Brown

Neither.  Due to bad experiences at both, I stay away from dealerships and chains.  Ask around and find a good independent shop--they are out there, I've got two.

You'll have to do some legwork and reach out to friends, coworkers etc.  It's well worth it.  A good independent mechanic can save you money and do better work.

Mike da Carpenter

If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools, then do it yourself and save a ton of $.  I hate paying someone for something I’m able to do.  By saving $500 on doing my own breaks, I put that money right in my “gas money for hunting” fund.

Speaks
13 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools, then do it yourself and save a ton of $.  I hate paying someone for something I’m able to do.  By saving $500 on doing my own breaks, I put that money right in my “gas money for hunting” fund.

I used to do this until I factored in what my time is worth to do it. That and my Tundra is a heck of a lot harder to work on than the trucks that I used to work on (77 F150, 98 Seirra, 2002 F150). I tried to do the oil once on my Tundra and before the skid plate was fully off I realized I was in the red and brought it to the dealership. 

I have generally seen Toyota dealerships that I have dealt with to be competitively priced on SOME work they do. I think the brake job on my Tundra was under $400, but I could be remembering wrong. I did it at about 125k along with tires and some other stuff as well.  

aje4

I have a good local shop that does all the work on my vehicles....very reasonable and does good work....

topdog1961

I don't like to mess with drum brakes, but do all my disc brakes. I only replace the pads, nothing else unless the calipers are frozen or the rotors are warped or you waited to long and they are severely gouged. With most modern aluminum wheels, you can see the pads and change them before its to late. Our Miata needed pads on the rear so I did them last Sunday. Eeezy peezy. The fronts were 50% but for the low cost of pads I replaced them while I had the tools out. All 4 took me about an hour and a half and I enjoyed it. Cost me $50 for all new brakes after $20 coupon from Advance Auto. 

But I concur, if you don't want to do it yourself, a good honest local mechanic is the best route for brakes. We have a guy who was once the service manager at our small town GM dealer, before GM closed all those. Now he has his own shop and is a real asset to the community. His shop rate is $54 per hour, about half of a dealer, and they get things done fast. 

Clueless1

My guy is $65/hr and for a brake job he doesn't charge me the full hour.  I can't justify doing it myself at that price.  When he retires I expect to be back to doing them myself for awhile until I luck into the next guy.

airmedic1

I had a front wheel bearing go out on my 2007 Nissan Frontier with 111k miles.  It took me an hour to get it apart (because I have never had this type of setup apart before) and I purchased a Timken replacement for both sides for $150 each and that includes the anti-lock sensors.   I found replacement WAGNER pads AND rotors for $100 shipped for the front.  For $400 in parts and a couple of hours of my time I replaced both front wheel bearings, anti-lock sensors, rotors and brake pads for less that an independent shop wanted to just replace the wheel bearing.  I worked as a mechanic 30 years ago so I do have some mechanical aptitude but before I started I watched a couple of YouTube videos that were very clear.  

If you have any mechanical ability you can replace your disc brakes without problems and for not much more money replace the rotors as well.  Look on YouTube for a video and see if you can handle it before you start. 

AM

E.Young
1 minute ago, airmedic1 said:

I had a front wheel bearing go out on my 2007 Nissan Frontier with 111k miles.  It took me an hour to get it apart (because I have never had this type of setup apart before) and I purchased a Timken replacement for both sides for $150 each and that includes the anti-lock sensors.   I found replacement WAGNER pads AND rotors for $100 shipped for the front.  For $400 in parts and a couple of hours of my time I replaced both front wheel bearings, anti-lock sensors, rotors and brake pads for less that an independent shop wanted to just replace the wheel bearing.  I worked as a mechanic 30 years ago so I do have some mechanical aptitude but before I started I watched a couple of YouTube videos that were very clear.  

If you have any mechanical ability you can replace your disc brakes without problems and for not much more money replace the rotors as well.  Look on YouTube for a video and see if you can handle it before you start. 

AM

This. I had a wheel bearing go on my Tacoma and it cost me $900 for ONE side. Of course, this is DC so the price is grossly inflated, but I didn't even go to a dealer. 

When the other side bearing went, I ordered an OEM pair of them, already pressed, for $120 shipped on sale. I also bought new front rotors and pads for $150 total. I did have to borrow a jack, but all in it took me ~2hrs. If you guys is giving you parts at a reasonable rate, sure that make sense, but the mark-up around here is at least 100%.