FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Speaks

dog containment

Speaks

Hey guys, looking for some advice, not exactly hunting dog related but I assume there could be cases where the same thing applies. My wife works for a boxer rescue, well not technically employed but volunteers nearly full time. We occasionally take in a foster dog that has some type of issue that makes it hard to find a foster for.

This week we picked up a boxer greyhound mix (who knows for certain but we are pretty sure that there is some of both of those in there, there could be more). Her issue is that she is an escape artist. She can clear a 4 ft chain fence like nothing and I am told it is also true for a 6 ft and that she once got over an 8ft. During her short stay at my place I dont think she will ever be outside off lead but we also want to have some solid advice to give her future adopters about how to contain her when outside. 

A privacy fence would likely help since it would remove the visual stimulation to cross but would not want to bet on that, and not sure how much I trust tie outs if the dog is unsupervised. My gut reaction is that she really should not get any unsupervised time outside and then only in a yard with a privacy fence or on a tie out. She does have a pretty good recall but can cover ground fast if on her own. 

Otherwise she is a great dog, her house manners are good, she is great with other dogs and cats, and she takes training like a champ. She spent all week in my office with me this week and I got a chance to work with her a bit and she takes training as well as any dog I have ever worked with. Unfortunately I cant keep her as I have 4 dogs (all not hunting at the moment unfortunately) and a setter pup coming home in December but I want to set the people she is placed with up to not loose her. 

VizslavsBird

I have friends that rescued a Gordon setter.  Said GS could clear an 8ft fence with ease.  They ended up adding 2.5ft to their wooden privacy fence, that leans into their yard at a 45* angle above the existing 8ft.  I personally think it looks like a prison yard now, but the dog stays in.

Gunguy

When I am away or at work I keep my dogs in an enclosed kennel. I got it at costco. Welded wire fully powder coated and came with a roof. I poured a concrete pad to set it on so there is no chance of digging out either. It works great and is going on it's 3rd year. An outdoor kennel would be the best / most cost effective option in my eyes. I think this is the one I got. Can be set up for 10 x 10 or 10 x 15.

https://www.costco.com/Lucky-Dog-6'H-x-10'W-x-10'L-Black-Modular-Welded-Wire-Kennel-with-Kennel-Cover.product.100419525.html 

Korthaar
8 hours ago, Gunguy said:

When I am away or at work I keep my dogs in an enclosed kennel. I got it at costco. Welded wire fully powder coated and came with a roof. I poured a concrete pad to set it on so there is no chance of digging out either. It works great and is going on it's 3rd year. An outdoor kennel would be the best / most cost effective option in my eyes. I think this is the one I got. Can be set up for 10 x 10 or 10 x 15.

https://www.costco.com/Lucky-Dog-6'H-x-10'W-x-10'L-Black-Modular-Welded-Wire-Kennel-with-Kennel-Cover.product.100419525.html 

An outdoor kennel on block or a concrete pad is your best bet. I do exactly as the fella above except my kennels are on less permanently located pavers.  This way, you know your dog is safe, clean, not tearing up your property while unattended, and you aren't spending a bunch of money on new fencing. When this foster leaves, you're set for the next.

Speaks

Yea that might be the best bet. To get to run her a bit more I found an abandoned tennis court with high enough fencing to prevent any escape and let her retrieve enough to burn off energy. Looks like she will be around a bit longer than I thought so a solution at home will be required as well though.