FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
fishvik

Sometimes it's not the fishing.

fishvik

I was asked to host a fishing trip for our local TU club at a reservoir south of Pocatello. I've been fishing Daniels for over twenty years and it is known for big rainbows. IDF&G manages it for trophy fish, so it is all artificial lures and flies that are barbless hooks and no fish can be kept under 20". You fish it out of small boats, float-tubes, or pontoon boats. We caught a lot of 'bows between 10 and 20 inches and these fish "have shoulders", hard hitting and aerial. But the best part of the place is what you see while you're floating around. Bald Eagles, White Pelicans, Double-crested Cormorants, Great Blue Herons, a Common Loon, numerous species of ducks, grebes, hawks and shorebirds. On the banks about 20 head of mule deer were feeding along with a cow moose and her twin calves. On the drive home I saw Hungarian Partridge, sharptailed grouse and pheasants in the farm fields around the reservoir. I was a great day

mccuha

The cormorants around here have become a problem eating a lot of fish. On santee lake they have had a somewhat season for them after duck season.  Just recently the cormorants just wouldn’t leave   My lease in ms has catfish ponds on them and the owner has a permit to shoot them any time.  I’ve seen them there by the hundreds to over a thousand. They really work those ponds over as well if not pushed out.  Glad you had a great trip. Sounds like you had a blast. 

fishvik
3 hours ago, mccuha said:

The cormorants around here have become a problem eating a lot of fish. On santee lake they have had a somewhat season for them after duck season.  Just recently the cormorants just wouldn’t leave   My lease in ms has catfish ponds on them and the owner has a permit to shoot them any time.  I’ve seen them there by the hundreds to over a thousand. They really work those ponds over as well if not pushed out.  Glad you had a great trip. Sounds like you had a blast. 

During the drought years in the early 2000's in southeast Idaho white pelicans were  a real problem on spawning Yellowstone cutthroat. Well over 60% of the spawners trapped on the Blackfoot River coming out of Blackfoot Resv. at the lower than normal flows, had scars from being grabbed but consumed by the large white pelican population in SE Idaho. Some were flying over 50 miles to target the spawning run. Both White Pelicans and Yellowstone cuts are species of concern in Idaho. One solution was to put badgers on an island that was being used as a pelican rookery in Blackfoot Resv. The badgers left the island. The problem was resolved when normal flows were resumed in the Blackfoot above the reservoir due to good water years.

mister grouse

Back in the southeast the bald eagles, osprey, mink, otters, those damned cormorants, herons of several species, , turkeys, deer, all the hawks, all the songbirds , hummingbirds, and this gorgeous fall wildflowers make a nice day in late summer and fall.   We could sure do without the otters and the cormorants though as they are taking a serious load of trout out of our trout rivers every day. Far more than the fisherman.

dogrunner

Cormorants in my state eat too many perch. 

idcut

Putting Badgers on the island reminds me of an experiment that was tried on Hood Lake in Anchorage, when I was living there. Too many geese nesting on an island on the floatplane lake, created a dangerous situation for the planes taking off and landing. Pigs were put on the island in the early spring, before nesting and removed some months later. They took care of the goose situation and were nice and fat when removed.