oatmeal

E-collar/gps buyback

oatmeal

I currently run an old Astro 220 and a separate tritronics e-collar. I would like to update my astro, and I wouldn't mind updating the other collar though it is just fine - I only mention this because I'd consider an alpha. Has anyone participated in a buy-back program for collars? If you have done this, what experiences have you had? You can be appropriately vague if necessary. It sure would be nice to trade in these collars rather than sell them separately, or let them collect dust.

Lurch

I looked into trading in my old Tritronics with one of the major retailers when I bought my Alpha  a couple month ago, but they were only offering less than $100 for it, so I figured I'd hang on to it for now, maybe offload it on Craigslist or something

studdog

Collar clinic will offer a trade in on most collars.  Good outfit to deal with.

Cooter Brown

I've think the Alpha is superior for hunting and a dedicated e-collar is better for working with a young dog.

If you ever plan on getting and training another dog keeping the dedicated collar makes sense to me.  They don't seem to bring a lot on trade in or used anyway.

mudbatt

For 13 years I have always run a bell and dogtra 2502 t&b in point only mode.  I'm getting a pup in the next couple of months and I'm considering a garmin alpha but have some concerns:

1. No beeper

2. I hunt in the jungles of New Hampshire  so thick that sometimes I could not fall over if I tried.  I like the beeper and in these situations & would not want to be looking at a screen.

3.  I have direct tv  out here in the woods.  I loose sat signal on occasion.  What about lost satellite signal on these collars?

oatmeal

This is a bit tangential, but 99.999% of my use of the e-collar is a beep, no stimulus. At least, with an adult dog it is. I've trained the beep to mean, 'turn, look for me, pay attention'  with my tritronics collar. A nonstop beep means come-now-I-don't-care-what, ie. emergency. I can hunt silent without a whistle with these commands, and if my dog is 800yds away I still get a response. So, does the alpha collar have a beep? I assume so but never looked it up.

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, mudbatt said:

For 13 years I have always run a bell and dogtra 2502 t&b in point only mode.  I'm getting a pup in the next couple of months and I'm considering a garmin alpha but have some concerns:

1. No beeper

2. I hunt in the jungles of New Hampshire  so thick that sometimes I could not fall over if I tried.  I like the beeper and in these situations & would not want to be looking at a screen.

3.  I have direct tv  out here in the woods.  I loose sat signal on occasion.  What about lost satellite signal on these collars?

I've used the Alpha and TT15 collar in all weather, cover and terrain conditions all over the southeast and upper midwest.  I've never had a reception issue with either the collar or the handheld.  Woodcock cover in middle Georgia and laurel/rhodo in the mountains is as thick as anything I can imagine being huntable.

In really thick stuff I use a Lovett's beeper in addition to the Alpha.

15 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

So, does the alpha collar have a beep? I assume so but never looked it up.

The TT15 collars, regular and mini, have both beep (they call it tone) and vibrate.  And of course momentary and continuous stim.

They also have extremely bright white LED lights you can fire up.  Very festive.

mudbatt
On 10/2/2018 at 7:30 PM, Cooter Brown said:

I've used the Alpha and TT15 collar in all weather, cover and terrain conditions all over the southeast and upper midwest.  I've never had a reception issue with either the collar or the handheld.  Woodcock cover in middle Georgia and laurel/rhodo in the mountains is as thick as anything I can imagine being huntable.

In really thick stuff I use a Lovett's beeper in addition to the Alpha.

The TT15 collars, regular and mini, have both beep (they call it tone) and vibrate.  And of course momentary and continuous stim.

They also have extremely bright white LED lights you can fire up.  Very festive.

So how loud is the beep on the tt15?  I dont see a speaker.  Is it as loud as a dogtra t&b 2500?

john mcg

It is plenty loud for the dogs. I can't compare it to the Dogtra.

Curt

I had similar issues several weeks ago.  Had my old Astro 220 w/ DC30 & DC40 collars that I'd used for several years but wanted to upgrade.  Most of the time I'd run Dogtra 2502 collars with the DC30 & 40 in point mode only as you have done.  I wanted to like the Alpha, spent some time at LCS trying it out etc., but in the end couldn't like it enough because of the touch screen feature, which I really didn't care for.

I ended up buying a new Astro 430 with the tt5 and tt5 mini collars and keeping my dogtra 2502's, I have two sets of those.  So far I'm really happy with my choice.

I sold the old Astro with the DC30 & DC40 for about $260. on the internet within a week or so.

Cooter Brown
55 minutes ago, mudbatt said:

So how loud is the beep on the tt15?  I dont see a speaker.  Is it as loud as a dogtra t&b 2500?

It's nowhere near loud enough to use to locate the dog.

It's intended to be used as a signal to the dog.

Allen McCallie
41 minutes ago, Curt said:

I had similar issues several weeks ago.  Had my old Astro 220 w/ DC30 & DC40 collars that I'd used for several years but wanted to upgrade.  Most of the time I'd run Dogtra 2502 collars with the DC30 & 40 in point mode only as you have done.  I wanted to like the Alpha, spent some time at LCS trying it out etc., but in the end couldn't like it enough because of the touch screen feature, which I really didn't care for.

I ended up buying a new Astro 430 with the tt5 and tt5 mini collars and keeping my dogtra 2502's, I have two sets of those.  So far I'm really happy with my choice.

I sold the old Astro with the DC30 & DC40 for about $260. on the internet within a week or so.

Although I own the Alpha and really like it, Curt's setup here is still the one I prefer.  If I were starting today I would be hard pressed not to recommend the Astro 430 (with new TT-5 or TT-15 collars) for tracking, and the Dogtra 2502s for beeper and 'lectricity (unfortunately those great units are no longer sold). I think my preference for buttons over touch screens is probably the difference maker.  If the Astro is less expensive, that too would be a factor.

WPG Gizmo

I had mulled over get a new set of GPS collar to replace the 220 I am running now but the cost is prohibitive a new set up with 2 collars is $900 and change with the maps while the 220 is dated it still is in fine shape and works as intended that and and the Dogtra 2002T&B is all I need.  The 2002 I can hear just fine the 2502 I had was way to muffled for me to hear.

The 430 will soon be dated as Garmin just came out with the 900 with the new T9 collars.

Locher
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, Cooter Brown said:

I've think the Alpha is superior for hunting and a dedicated e-collar is better for working with a young dog.

I thought really hard about an Alpha but was worried about the instant, no-look, dedicated e-collar for training.  So I took one of my Tritronics Pro 550 collars and added a DC40 GPS unit to it.  All on one collar and it fits my needs perfectly.  And hopefully the dog appreciates his neck not being stretched to accommodate an extra collar.

mudbatt
18 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

I had mulled over get a new set of GPS collar to replace the 220 I am running now but the cost is prohibitive a new set up with 2 collars is $900 and change with the maps while the 220 is dated it still is in fine shape and works as intended that and and the Dogtra 2002T&B is all I need.  The 2002 I can hear just fine the 2502 I had was way to muffled for me to hear.

The 430 will soon be dated as Garmin just came out with the 900 with the new T9 collars.