FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Urban_Redneck

Gumleaf Boots

Urban_Redneck

Has anyone owned a pair? I'm curious about sizing, fit, and ease of removal.

My old Muck boots are shredded and a newer pair are cracked at the ankle- I think I'm done with Muck.

Thanks!

Kieffer

I have a pair of the zippered ones.  I've only had them a month or so, but like them so far.  I typically wear a size 9 1/2 or possibly a 10 and the size 42 works well for me.  I was told if you're normally a half size, you should order down.  If you're looking for a really snug ankle, then these might not be for you.  They are snug enough for me and are actually a little snugger than the boots I've been wearing the last eight years or so, but not as snug as some Lacrosse boots.  I've never worn Mucks, so I can't compare.  Getting them on and off is pretty easy.

JCJ

I should have a pair of the Vikings today.

I hope they fit the bill as since LaCrosse discontinued their 12” hiker model several years back, I’ve spent quite a bit of time and money trying to find my ideal rubber boot.

duluthUPLAND

I own the Vikings as well and am in my second season with them. So far they absolutely have stood up to the challenge of the grouse woods. After I wore holes in the crease points of two consecutive pairs of Lacrosse Alpha Burlys I was looking for something better. The Gumleafs check all the boxes for me as far as fit, feel and function. Durability is where I'm hoping they exceed expectations but cannot yet confirm. That said, they have already outlasted my Alpha Burlys.

I will second what Kieffer said about sizing, I'm normally a size 10.5 and I went with the size down aka EUR 43 or US 10 and that's worked out really well. I've been experimenting with different thickness of socks now to get the best possible fit. Ankle fit and support is great as well. 

Full disclosure, Gumleaf does sponsor the podcast I host and they gave me a deal on my boots. I wrote about them last fall on Project Upland. I believe the price has been bumped since we posted the article but if you follow the below link and read to the bottom there's a promo code that will get you free shipping if you decide to order.

https://www.projectupland.com/bird-hunting-gear/gumleaf-boots-review/

JCJ - Hope the sizing works out for you!

Dave Quindt

Call them and talk through sizing and model selection. They only sell from their US reseller and not via retail which in this case is quite helpful. Make sure to know your calf diameter with a pair of pants on. If you have larger calves, like I do, not all models are a good choice as they are sized for pencil-legged Brits. 

I have a pair that I’ve enjoyed quite a bit. 

FWIW,

Dave

JCJ

Received my boots. They are very high quality and lightweight. Unfortunately the largest available, size 13, are a bit too short for my feet. 

ScottGrush

I bought a pair and was impressed with the quality but the boot was too tall for me. With each step the top of the boot whacked me in the fold at the back of my knee. 

Measured next to my Muck boot and they were a good 1.5" taller. Just a FYI if you are a tad vertically challenged like I am. 5' 9" on a tall day. 

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, ScottGrush said:

I bought a pair and was impressed with the quality but the boot was too tall for me. With each step the top of the boot whacked me in the fold at the back of my knee. 

Measured next to my Muck boot and they were a good 1.5" taller. Just a FYI if you are a tad vertically challenged like I am. 5' 9" on a tall day. 

I just bought some Lacrosse Burley airgrip boots. The plain green jobs with better traction. I bought the shorter 12 inch model. Another 'why haven't I tried this shorter size in a rubber boot' moment...FWIW these run very big. I wear a large 10.5 or 11 and these I bought are 10's and fit fine.

JCJ

I’ll probably go back to LaCrosse Grange boots as I know size 14 fit. Big feet and big hands really limit choices in hunting footwear and gloves.

Urban_Redneck

A pair of neoprene lined, Hunter Balmoral boots were delivered last night. Review to follow.

E.Young
On 10/4/2018 at 7:09 PM, JCJ said:

Received my boots. They are very high quality and lightweight. Unfortunately the largest available, size 13, are a bit too short for my feet. 

You return them or are you looking to get rid of them? 

vabirddog
On October 4, 2018 at 1:05 PM, Dave Quindt said:

they are sized for pencil-legged Brits. 

FWIW,

Dave

Bloody Hell!   What?

Dave Quindt
6 minutes ago, vabirddog said:

Bloody Hell!   What?

I don't have unusually large calves, am not very tall yet my calves are too big for the Royal Zip and could use some room in the Vikings. 

vabirddog
15 minutes ago, Dave Quindt said:

I don't have unusually large calves, am not very tall yet my calves are too big for the Royal Zip and could use some room in the Vikings. 

Ha I'm not British I just like their expletives. I am tall and pencil legged though.

Dave Quindt
Just now, vabirddog said:

I am tall and pencil legged though.

What a surprise