FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BlacknTan

Tractors and calcium chloride

BlacknTan

The rear tires on my Kubota are ballasted 75% full with a calcium chloride solution. This has been the tried and true method for eons. It's cheap, weighs 30% more that plain water, and is freeze proof to about -50 F. There is one tiny problem, though... it is hideously corrosive. Theoretically, filling the tires to such a degree should keep the metal of the rim beneath the solution... not exposing it to air. As I have found out, theory and practice do not always agree!

I need to replace two rear rims, two R4 tires and re-ballast to the tune of almost $2,000. No Browning Superposed for this boy.. at least not this year!!

VizslavsBird

This is the way things have been done here in the southwest for better than 50 years.  Seldom see a failure before 10 years, then its normally the valve stem area.  Of course were talking major ag manufactures, not the new comers.  Sorry to hear of your problems.  

Rusty Hill

had mine filled with windshield washer fluid. works great and not corrosive.

BlacknTan

Here's a nice primer on liquid ballast. The idea is to find a material heavier than water, that has anti freeze properties and is non toxic...

https://www.yanmartractor.com/resources/tractor-tips/liquid-ballast

Beet juice is very sticky. If the need arises to add air, it can easily gum up the valve core. My wheels lasted 12 years with CC. I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, because if the new wheels last another 12, I'll let my heirs worry about it. But, there is a new solution that my dealer has been using and recommends. It is known as Ballast Star. I will probably give it a try, as more corrosion inhibitor can be added as necessary.

VizslavsBird

Did you have tubes in those rear tires with the calcium chloride?  That link jogged my memory, all our filled tires had tubes.