FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
GSPpurist

Upland Vest, Bottles or Camelbak water system

GSPpurist

I started my serious upland career about 10 years ago with a Bird-n-Lite Pro vest which holds water bottles.  Has worked well for seven years but I found stuff (Shells, etc) would fall out of the pockets often especially when rushed to grab a dog or in a fall.  Switched to the Tenzing BV 15 which I like but found the Water backpack system to be more of a pain that it's worth.  Like many things, good in theory but hassle to use.  Not a big fan of these now.  Tenzing is holding up but barbed wire and sun fading, showing it's age.  Consider replacing once this wears out which may be sooner that I would like.  

Would like insight to what people like, use.  

kgb

Bota and squeeze bottles in the vest work but I could still use greater capacity. Backpack styles seem to have heavily padded shoulder straps, I imagine a larger bota-style bladder strung across the body would be closer to ideal. Maybe two, Kwai Chang it and get the hat albeit in blaze orange. 

Swampy 16

Today for the first time I’m trying a Camelback style pack under my strap vest. It’s $20 at Walmart with the bladder. I’ll give a report later. I have a Camelback from years ago. I can’t find it at the moment.

bill

I just stick a couple good size water bottles in inside my game bag and march on I like a vest with alot pockets now my back bothers me some i just wear hot patch grin and bear it

oak stob
8 hours ago, GSPpurist said:

Would like insight to what people like, use.  

Water bottles...2-4 depending.

Simple solution and since a loop might only be a big hour+ that is sufficient for a dog and myself...normally.

Stretch out the expedition to multiple hours and pitons then I suspect there are all sorts of fancy ways to tote water.

With bottles, I only work to find a cap that is easy to open and a dog is slow to lick shut.

I found that mix in some "spring" water bottled in WI...not sure of the name.

Used to carry around extra caps that worked till I discovered all bottled water does not use the same thread pattern....Briley needs to offer up a good water bottle and cap.

WMassGriff

I use a dedicated 24oz bottle for the dog, and a 36oz aluminum canister for me and refills for the dog. They balance pretty good in my Orvis Strap Vest. I will say that the dog prefers flavored water from the skankiest puddles he can find, and this year there are plenty!

The simplest solution honestly that I myself could come up with was a wingworks vest. Best there is! More than you'll ever need for anything. 

RDG

Bottles here.  I carry two 20oz bottles. One on each side of the vest. That’s usually enough for me and the dog. He drinks from puddles if available anyways. Usually there’s extra water in the truck if really needed. 

I dislike camelbaks.... there hard to clean and smell funky quickly.  

With bottles I get home from a hunt,  rinse them out, fill them back up and throw them in the beer fridge where the kids won’t find them. 

Then went it’s time to hunt, I just grab and go. 

Heres the bottle I use currently. And I do carry one of those collapsible dishes for my dog.  Wastes less water. 

https://www.camelbak.com/en/bottles/sport-bike/R02031--Dirt_Series_Podium_21oz?color=0294243de32c44e38b04c9b3e1eec858

Jack L
11 hours ago, kgb said:

Bota and squeeze bottles in the vest work but I could still use greater capacity. Backpack styles seem to have heavily padded shoulder straps, I imagine a larger bota-style bladder strung across the body would be closer to ideal. Maybe two, Kwai Chang it and get the hat albeit in blaze orange. 

Ah grasshopper , we used botas back in the day at football games.  You string a lot of those around you, but they didn't carry water!

For bird hunting I carry a couple of cheap 20 bottles in carriers on the sides of my vest.

bmeador

I carry 2 aluminum bottles or 2 20 oz. Plastic bottles. Here in the east dogs usually have no problems as creeks are everywhere. 

boutdoors4

I've had the Quilomene vest with the hydration pack for over 10 years now and love it the hydration  can hold enough water  for my 2 dogs for  a 2 hour loop ( old hydration pack was better as it held 160 ozs. compared to the newer one which only holds 120 ozs.). I usually carry 2 16 oz. water bottles for myself. I usually hunt in the desert areas.

john mcg

Nalgene bottles with booty depending on weather.

On short jaunts, sometimes just grab a spring water bottle or three--Toni keeps it around.

A small collapsible nylon bowl takes very little space and makes for less waste...I have used my cap.

TB Owl

I use my old Filson strap vest and love it, toss water bottles in the game bag with feathers, empty shells, and hopefully birds.  Nothing like pulling out a water bottle and having feathers stuck to it.  😀

Blackjack

I use a few different vest depending on the hunt and weather and all have the ability to use a bladder. I find the bottles easier to use for me and the dogs.  I carry 2-4 depending on the hunt.

WPG Gizmo

I throw a couple of large squeeze bottles in the vest and call it good the dogs can find plenty of water and they normally do