Jump to content
Brad Eden

Fall Turkey Hunting...

Recommended Posts

Brad Eden

....gets no respect.

 

Maine Fall turkey season began last Monday and runs for a month. Two wild turkeys of either sex depending on where you hunt. There are droves of flocks all over. Upwards of 24 plus mixed poult flocks and large and small bachelor groups of big Jakes and Tom's. I'm not fooling, it's a thing up here. I have two such flocks right on my road that I see regularly. The problem isn't when you can shoot one or two, it's if you can because they hang out on roadsides and close to houses. I keep Turkey gear, calls, camo and a turkey dedicated shotgun in my truck in case an opportunity presents itself, and I have time to play around.

 

I'm looking for turkeys in fields or in areas without houses. I typically watch them for a spell to gauge direction of travel. Park out of sight and sneak in front of them. Settle in behind brush or trees and do some yelps and kee kee/lost hen calls. They are curious birds and will steer themselves your way often enough. I've tried the whole scatter routine popular down south but without a dog they generally just run or fly in the same direction. I could train my Springers to scatter but I don't want them keying in on turkeys while we are grouse and Woodcock hunting.

 

Anyone actively Fall turkey hunting right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phonefly

Will be soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaberdeen
16 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

....gets no respect.

 

Maine Fall turkey season began last Monday and runs for a month. Two wild turkeys of either sex depending on where you hunt. There are droves of flocks all over. Upwards of 24 plus mixed poult flocks and large and small bachelor groups of big Jakes and Tom's. I'm not fooling, it's a thing up here. I have two such flocks right on my road that I see regularly. The problem isn't when you can shoot one or two, it's if you can because they hang out on roadsides and close to houses. I keep Turkey gear, calls, camo and a turkey dedicated shotgun in my truck in case an opportunity presents itself, and I have time to play around.

 

I'm looking for turkeys in fields or in areas without houses. I typically watch them for a spell to gauge direction of travel. Park out of sight and sneak in front of them. Settle in behind brush or trees and do some yelps and kee kee/lost hen calls. They are curious birds and will steer themselves your way often enough. I've tried the whole scatter routine popular down south but without a dog they generally just run or fly in the same direction. I could train my Springers to scatter but I don't want them keying in on turkeys while we are grouse and Woodcock hunting.

 

Anyone actively Fall turkey hunting right now?

Hmmm... another option for next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
8 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

Hmmm... another option for next week.

Pretty sure you would need a big game license and of course the turkey license. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lee sykes

I see huge flocks of them everywhere.   More than usual.  Reminds me of the trouble with tribbles episode of star trek.  I am forever dodging them with my truck. 

Vegan vultures.   I'm glad that people like to hunt them. Just wish that more did!  I think part of the problem is that people don't want to pay extra for the privilege. 

Meanwhile, they breed like rats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oak stob
1 hour ago, lee sykes said:

I see huge flocks of them everywhere.   More than usual.  Reminds me of the trouble with tribbles episode of star trek.  I am forever dodging them with my truck. 

Vegan vultures.   I'm glad that people like to hunt them. Just wish that more did!  I think part of the problem is that people don't want to pay extra for the privilege. 

Meanwhile, they breed like rats.

 

Totally agree.....rats, indeed. More folks should kill deer.

 

Oh, wait a minute...I bet you were speaking of turkeys. Whoops.  😯

 

Autumn turkeys can have their own appeal...a different smell and feel to the woods, as well.

My first turkey was an autumn turkey on Middle Mountain just off an old narrow gauge logging railroad deep in the WV mountains.....always have a good feeling for autumn turkeys. 

Different than Spring thunder but, still a nice time apart from birddogs.

As I carried that first bird in to the check station, a couple cars honked and I got some thumbs up.....different times, decades ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lee sykes
1 hour ago, oak stob said:

 

Totally agree.....rats, indeed. More folks should kill deer.

 

Oh, wait a minute...I bet you were speaking of turkeys. Whoops.  😯

 

Autumn turkeys can have their own appeal...a different smell and feel to the woods, as well.

My first turkey was an autumn turkey on Middle Mountain just off an old narrow gauge logging railroad deep in the WV mountains.....always have a good feeling for autumn turkeys. 

Different than Spring thunder but, still a nice time apart from birddogs.

As I carried that first bird in to the check station, a couple cars honked and I got some thumbs up.....different times, decades ago.

You have a deep tradition of turkey hunting..like the Waltons. I envy that.  Our turkeys arrived concurrently with ultra mags and realtree. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oak stob
21 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

You have a deep tradition of turkey hunting..like the Waltons. I envy that.  Our turkeys arrived concurrently with ultra mags and realtree. 

 

 

😄...arrived somewhat concurrently with that....complicated....Rob Keck feller, I suspect...the selfish NWTF certainly over-reached in the quest for banquet tables.

Losers followed.

 

I envy any who can still find joy in deer, my friend....not to mention ruffed grouse waving hello just off the back stoop. 😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lee sykes
22 minutes ago, oak stob said:

 

😄...arrived somewhat concurrently with that....complicated....Rob Keck feller, I suspect...the selfish NWTF certainly over-reached in the quest for banquet tables.

Losers followed.

 

I envy any who can still find joy in deer, my friend....not to mention ruffed grouse waving hello just off the back stoop. 😊

 

I think still finding joy in deer is free access to plenty of land to hunt.  A few deer to follow on familar ground,  to be on the ground with them. To hear them digging for acorns just the other side of a screen of hemlock,  remaining still with heart pounding, hoping to see a good one.  Not about antlers but a couple of shoe lengths from backbone to brisket lightens the spirit.  A tradition that predates qdm, food plots and stink seal jumpsuits. Taught from father to son and most deer are "nice deer".   At least, that works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Happiness is a warm deer gut pile and the stench of wild turkey innards on the tips of your fingers.

 

Oops sorry, wrong crowd.

 

Here.

 

Contentment is the aroma of fermenting leaves, while admiring an English Setter, statue still, with the scent of ruffed grouse making aquiver its noble nose.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mister grouse
47 minutes ago, oak stob said:

arrived somewhat concurrently with that....complicated....Rob Keck feller, I suspect...the selfish NWTF certainly over-reached in the quest for banquet tables.

Losers followed.

 

 

amen -  multiple times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paul frey
20 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I think still finding joy in deer is free access to plenty of land to hunt.  A few deer to follow on familar ground,  to be on the ground with them. To hear them digging for acorns just the other side of a screen of hemlock,  remaining still with heart pounding, hoping to see a good one.  Not about antlers but a couple of shoe lengths from backbone to brisket lightens the spirit.  A tradition that predates qdm, food plots and stink seal jumpsuits. Taught from father to son and most deer are "nice deer".   At least, that works for me.

I belong to a gun club that is primarily a deer hunting club( no more grouse in this part of NY).  Some of the guys wanted to turn it into a "Trophy" hunting club but there were a few of us against that idea.  Shoot what makes you happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lee sykes
2 minutes ago, paul frey said:

I belong to a gun club that is primarily a deer hunting club( no more grouse in this part of NY).  Some of the guys wanted to turn it into a "Trophy" hunting club but there were a few of us against that idea.  Shoot what makes you happy

No club here.  Thanks, I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WMassGriff

Our season in MA starts in a few weeks. I will be out trying to get a nice small one to cook whole for Thanksgiving. The birds are a lot more vocal in the Fall, but can be hard to pin down as they cover a lot of ground for food. Of course my Griff will be very disappointed when the gun case comes out and he stays home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×