Brad Eden

Fall Turkey Hunting...

mister grouse
On 10/22/2018 at 5:08 PM, Brad Eden said:

...I'll take spring gobbler season any day!

I killed a very nice gobbler in the fall some years ago. Fairly called in.  In big woods.  I have never felt right about it and won't shoot another one  in the fall.  And never a hen.

I dont show the lognbeards much mercy in the spring.  But shooting one on the fall just resulted in  a completely flat feeling for me. I was asking myself why I did this.   Each to his own, although today in many areas I think hens should not be killed in the fall as overall some states turkey populations have taken some serious nosedives.

Im not sure any bird hunting species evokes more different opinions about the ethics of the hunt , the weapon, or the season  than those found in the pursuit of turkeys, spring or fall.

Edited by mister grouse

phonefly

As I have said before on here  ------  and please each to his own thiughts----- we target hens in the fall.  We hunt with dogs and have targeted hens for 18 years.  We have better spring hunting than most other areas. 

We were shut out of one farm 12 years ago because we killed a hen.   The spring hunting went south.   We got back on that tract 4 years ago.   Now we fall hunt it only so they will have decent spring hunting.

I spring hunt for one reason only.   VA gives 3 tags and I can only use 2 in the fall, so that third one is used in the spring.  And in the spring I only hunt the last half of the season -- all day hunting allowed.  Never in the woods before 2 in the afternoon.

WMassGriff

A Jenny accepted my Thanksgiving dinner invitation this morning. Back to bird hunting!

dogrunner

I grouse hunted a spot last weekend, there was snow on the ground and I seen 1 set of turkey tracks. My pointer headed into the pines and a minute later her beeper is going off, I figured great a grouse right off the bat. I looked at her and flushed and to my surprise a big old hen took off.  I could have easily killed that bird, I was surprised it did not run more as it was very close to the dog. 

GSPpurist

I usually don't target turkey in the fall.  If my dog chases one toward me, I have a tag to get it.  The only turkey I took this fall was at a farmer's house.  We were about to drive his property and there was a flock of 30 in his yard.  3 jakes strutting and gobbling in October.  He wanted me to shoot all three but only had one tag.  They get on his vehicles and crap on his porch.  Made a mighty fine turkey enchiladas for pheasant camp.  

phonefly

Turkeys have learned to deal with technology.  See many on the game cameras.  We put the dogs in and nary a scratch found.  We have lunch and move to another location.  One guy forgets his new A5 leaning on a tree.  He goes back and the gun is not there - this is private land.   To cut losses, he goes to other side of path to retrieve a game camera.  There is the gun under the camera.    And. there were turkeys on the camera right where we had been standing.   Hard to explain this one.

Brad Eden

I've gotten soft...no fall turkey(s). Season ended yesterday. Upland bird and deer hunting and life took up most of my free time the last month. Typically I get an opportunity or two while grouse and Woodcock hunting and although I don't recommend it have taken a few on the wing, but nit this year. And although seeing copious amounts of birds, some right off or in my dirt town road, any opportunities were somewhat buggered up by houses close by or my lackadaisical attitude. That's never the case during spring gobbler season. Oh well.

MAArcher
On 10/26/2018 at 2:12 PM, dogrunner said:

I grouse hunted a spot last weekend, there was snow on the ground and I seen 1 set of turkey tracks. My pointer headed into the pines and a minute later her beeper is going off, I figured great a grouse right off the bat. I looked at her and flushed and to my surprise a big old hen took off.  I could have easily killed that bird, I was surprised it did not run more as it was very close to the dog. 

I've shot a turkey flushed off a point like a giant grouse.  Man those things make a thump when they hit the ground.

Brad Eden
19 hours ago, MAArcher said:

I've shot a turkey flushed off a point like a giant grouse.  Man those things make a thump when they hit the ground.

Yup...

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

you need a Springer..😉

Fishnfowler

I've always said that "Spring turkeys are for fun and Fall turkeys are for eating. IMHO, the best eating birds are always the biggest oldest tom you can find in the Fall.  I like to brine a fresh bird overnight and slow roast it at 250 until it hits 155 degrees.  Those old birds have an amazing fat layer that always knocks my socks off. YMMV, but it is one of my favorite wild things to eat. 

phonefly

Yesterday in East Central Virginia we busted 3 gangs.  The last had 32 birds in the mix.  I had a newby on board --she got hers.  Also, I got to see a well trained Brittany move like a rocket on the last gang.

I spring hunt for two reasons:  I want to fill my third tag and the brethren say I have to do three spring hunts in order to be invited back for the fall.  We are only allowed two in the fall hunts.

phonefly

Today we made this hunter very happy.  Dog busted a gang of about 40 birds. This big Tom may have been a curios on looker.  22 pounds an 11" whiskers.

turkey126.jpg

WAGinVA

Congrats, 22 pounds is a huge fall tom.