FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
max2

wireless phone/internet for the home

max2

Has anyone tried this ? I am tired of hardline phone co & high prices. Thinking of switching to a wireless set up. I have a go phone for cell and hardwire for house phone/internet . Thinking of getting a smart phone to take care of phone. They (ATT) offer a wireless setup they claim will allow me to use my home computer as I currently do. If I get rid of my flip phone and get a smart phone I can do a lot more with the phone on the fly .  One phone to do everything  sounds pretty good. Also being able to run home computer doesn't sound to bad.  But will it work ?

Anyone  - Ya or nay ? 

Mike da Carpenter

Last April 1st, we “cut the cord” so to speak.

Got tired of paying way to much money for internet, landline phone and TV that was full of crap and commercials.  

We did a ton of research to find what would be best for us, and ended up going with Comcast/Xfinity.  We bought our Modem at Best Buy, as it was cheaper in the long run than renting one from the provider.  We already had smart phones, so there was no change there.  For TV, we bought an Amazon Firestick for each TV, and can watch anything we could possibly want to watch especially since my wife also got a subscription to Netflix.  Also hooked up an antenna in the garage attic to get local channels.

All in, we get to watch what we want, when we want to, have pretty good internet.  Not to mention we don’t get calls ALL THE TIME!!!

It cost us a bit to get out of our contract with AT&T (to me their customer service and product sucked), the antenna Netflix and fire sticks cost also, BUT for $125 a month savings it was all worth it.  Took us 4 months of upfront costs to save that $125 per month.  So to my wife and I, it was WELL worth it.  We are now in our 3rd month of “profit”, and it feels GOOD.

Any questions, please feel free to ask me.  I’ve helped quite a few people “Cut the cord”.

greg jacobs

We have refused to buy in. Antenna for local tv. Smartphones wirh unlimited data, mine is a, free to me, work phone. Hotspot and netflix. Can't get much cheaper or more simple.

max2

Thank's !

topdog1961

Check that AT&T internet plan. We have unlimited data with Sprint on our smartphones, but if we want a hotspot so we can use computers and smart devices there is an additional charge and a data limit. And the price is steep, even more so if you go over the data plan. 

airmedic1

We did that a few years ago.  We have Spectrum in our house and Viaero at our cabin.  Unlimited WiFi and we used Roku's but if i had it to do all over again I would consider the FireStix.  I think you have a little more flexibility with them.  We have NetFlix and Sling that will work at both places in different Zip codes.  We tried to use HULU Plus but they won't let you change zip codes.  We saved a couple hundred a month at the two places.  We also put up a digital antenna that allows us to get local channels at our main home.  WE have smartphones and laptops and iPad's that are looked to the WiFi, it works great.  The only thing we don't get is some sporting events in real time.  They can often be watched later but by then you already know the score so we usually just listen to them on digital radio.

AM

garyRI
On 10/8/2018 at 8:17 PM, max2 said:

Anyone  - Ya or nay ?

I vote yes. I dropped my land line a couple months ago. If the adults in a household you have cell phoneswhy would a private residence need a land line? For years the only reason I had mine was laziness.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:34 PM, airmedic1 said:

We have NetFlix and Sling that will work at both places in different Zip codes.

I have no experience with Sling but I have a Netflix streaming service and can watch it at home or on my iphone/smartphone.