Cattail

Help! Alpha tt15 collar lost!

Cattail

Any ideas I appreciate. Took dogs out in woods for short walk. Batteries were near dead in transmitter but we were close so didn’t care. Well batteries die, no big deal. Until my Brit shows up and his collar slipped off! Not sure what the batteries were at on the collar so any ideas I’d appreciate it. 

What i I gather is I need to get within ten feet to relocate once I get a charge on my transmitter. I love the fall colors and leaves on the ground until you have a red collar lost. 

Thanks guys. 

Allen McCallie

Doesn't the TT-15 collar have the option to make lights flash on the collar?

If so, figure out how to activate the lights then get into the woods at low light as soon as ya can! Make 'em flash and there you are.

J_ellard

Maybe leash your dog and hit the tone button. If he hears it he'll probably at least look, it could point you in the right direction. That and the light like Allen said. 

Cooter Brown
30 minutes ago, Allen McCallie said:

Doesn't the TT-15 collar have the option to make lights flash on the collar?

If so, figure out how to activate the lights then get into the woods at low light as soon as ya can! Make 'em flash and there you are.

That's a great idea, Allen.  Those lights are really bright.

Pudgy gopher

Once your transmitter is charged you can go to your dog list. Click on the dog collar that was lost. Click on go, It should take you to to where the collar is (if the collar had enough charge to send a signal to your transmitter after it is charged). You can then use the lights on the collar to see it when dark. 

Cattail

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had no clue where the collar battery was at when I took it out. Really just trying to get dog used to it as season approaches and see if things worked properly. Just out my back foot, you know? But collar battery does not appear to be strong enough to pick up and I was within 100 yards. 

If you’re reading this and counting “strike one...strike two...” you’re right. So mad at myself.  Brand new tt15 mini so looks like we’re going back to the full sized. 

PS kudos to Adam at Garmin calling me back and explaining the race against the collar battery. Growing up a TT guy I was nervous moving to Garmin for support. Put your collars on their chargers tonight boys. 

greg jacobs

Charge for 15 minutes. Hit compass instead of map and walk to collar. Use tone when you get close That's what the thing is made for. Finding your collar which is usually around your dogs neck

Cooter Brown

That is an expensive lesson.

If you're ordering a new collar get another battery for the handheld.  They're not expensive and being Li-ion they hold a charge for a long time when not in use.  I carry an extra one in my vest.  It takes seconds to change the battery.   While you're at it get another splitter cable so you can charge both collar and handheld in a vehicle.  Cheap insurance.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here but I try never to hit the ground without the collar and handheld being fully charged.  On a multi day hunt one of the first things I do at the end of the day is charge the stuff, even if I've only hunted a few hours.  An extra battery and splitter in the vehicle can help if you forget to do that, and if you're on a long day can you charge between spots if you're hunting multiple covers.

Why do you think a Mini is more likely to come off than a regular TT15?  Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

BlacknTan

Like Cooter, I charge after every use. And, I have an extra splitter and an extra charger. Lately, I use a seperate charger for each component...

If I lose a dog, I want as much battery life as possible!

oak stob

In the future and if running a loose collar, a feller might take one of the small zip-ties and connect to the main collar...if a main collar is run.

I charge every night....replace battreys, as they say, before they are totally gone and especially, when cold weather hits.

Like diapers with kids, battreys are the cheap factor in the equation.

dogrunner

Not sure how it could come off. I  charge all GPS stuff used every night, just did it for 2 weeks straight, its the first thing I do when getting back to the motel. So I know in the morning everything is ready for a full days use. Been running a TT 15 mini for 2 seasons now never had an issue no matter what dog I run it on. 

Cattail

Expensive lesson no doubt. Was just going for a quick walk on the nature trail in the backyard. I’ve never had a collar slip off a dog before either. I hadn’t trimmed the collar strap yet (that new) and I’m guessing the dog worked it loose somehow with that extra 12-16” hanging. 

Bigboy collar systems need to be charged a lot more than my old TT upland. Also hurt a little more when I need to replace. I’m going to get the neighbor kids to start looking by offering a reward. 

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, Cattail said:

Was just going for a quick walk on the nature trail in the backyard. I’ve never had a collar slip off a dog before either. I hadn’t trimmed the collar strap yet (that new) and I’m guessing the dog worked it loose somehow with that extra 12-16” hanging. 

I’m going to get the neighbor kids to start looking by offering a reward. 

Yep--the "aw, heck, I'm only messin' around the house" has gotten me in trouble too.

You really should consider getting another battery for the handheld.

Getting the kids to look for it is a great idea.  Best of luck.

greg jacobs

Having a hard time understanding. You should have been able to charge the handheld for 15 minutes and gone out and found it.

jwc

The transmitter is on the dog, the handheld is the receiver.  As long as the handheld was on it should still show the last location the collar was, correct?