FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SODAKer

Leaf Blowers

SODAKer

Of all things my 12 year old son is wanting a new leaf blower, go figure. I mean I can't complain but it did have me scratching my head in this day and age; I must of done something right raising him up to this point, lol. 

Anyways he is thinking gas powered or battery. No major lawn for us unless he takes the notion to go around the neighborhood and blow leaves for money.

For those of you in the business, are they all the same or do you have a preference of one over the other for reliability. He says he willing to pay up to $150 or ask for it for Christmas, lol.

WMassGriff

Stihl Handheld Gas Blower is my recommendation. (And I live in the woods so I'm getting ready to start it up for my Fall Chores)

atticus

I have a Stihl backpack leaf blower for a 1.5 acre lawn+-. Awesome tool. It'll even clear my driveway of an inch of dry powder in winter. As for leaves, it's best if you don't need to bag.  I send mine into the woods. 

It it was about $300 though. 

gunsrus

Stihl backpack 600 magnum . Leaves soaking wet and tons of em , It blows with ease . Put one up in Maine too , it actually will blow a few inches of snow off the cars . They are pricey but mine has lasted 10 years and still going strong .

Marc Ret
46 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Stihl backpack 600 magnum . Leaves soaking wet and tons of em , It blows with ease . Put one up in Maine too , it actually will blow a few inches of snow off the cars . They are pricey but mine has lasted 10 years and still going strong .

You don't do anything half-a*@#d, do you?😉

On occasion, I help a friend with his landscaping business. He runs Stihl 600s or 700s that I'ved used a good bit and agree they are beasts.  IMO, a set of ear plugs is a must when running them, or any equipment for that matter. 

spinfly

Stihl handheld gas powered, I've owned my BG55 for 15 or more years. Also, get the gutter cleaning attachments, then he can really make some money in the neighborhood.

SODAKer

Thanks guys. The Stihl is what he has been eyeballing. 

bigdog MN

I have a Stihl 65SH or 85SH(?). At the time it was the larger power model with shredder so I could vac sticks and acorns out of the rocks. Had it since about 2001, only service items were to replace the impeller twice due to being chewed up by acorns and one carb rebuild 2 years ago. Local dealer said I was the only one that had ever purchased a replacement impeller.

Uplander

A rake is a lot cheaper, and works a lot better....  

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, Uplander said:

Only if the blower is out of gas. 

topdog1961

I personally let Mother Nature blow my leaves out of my yard, with the exception of a few nooks and crannies around the front porch that traps them. Fortunately I have no neighbor's to complain about this practice. 

For several years I've used a no name $99 gas handheld in my underground dog fencing business. I use it to blow off concrete and asphalt drives after I cut them to accept the wire.  It's always been a PIA and I hate using it. It is cold minded and takes a couple minutes to run right even on warm days. The kill switch stopped working long ago so I have to choke it to death. I've kicked myself in the butt for not spending $50 more and getting the Stihl, but this one keeps on doing the job, no matter how much I hate it. But recently it's cutting in and out, likely a result of that faulty kill switch. So a new one is in my near fiture. Thanks for confirmation about the Stihl. That gutter attachment sounds good too. 

Steve Van Dis

I'll add another vote for a Stihl gas leafblower. Mine is almost 15 years old and still running like a champ.

MAArcher

A 12 year old kid wants to use his OWN money to buy a leaf blower to do yard work for dad?  BS! BS! BS!  I call major BS!!

I won't believe that unless its proven with a thorough FBI background investigation.

The only thing a 12 year old kids would want a leaf blower for is to try and build some kind of jet back or something. 

Or just for the sheer power like this kid:

gunsrus
7 hours ago, Uplander said:

Not a chance and it doesn't dig up the lawn like a rake does. 

I've got better than 25,000 sq ft of lawn . With a ton of leaves and the blower maybe two hours tops . Raking the leaves , probably six at best . What's your time worth , nothin ?