FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Hammergun

Fedoras

Hammergun

My old Stetson LL Bean Moose River Fedora has shrunk and doesn’t fit so much anymore. I’m thinking of updating it with a new Fedora with a medium width brim but not a full cowboy style hat. I thought that this would be a good new topic to throw out here and see what you all like. I haven’t looked at any companies including Stetson yet. Please share your favorites. 

Thanks

JeffAA50813B-C856-450C-BC38-E8B05EA754D9.thumb.jpeg.70f8e558e12d72808b87ae6c4ebdbf8c.jpegb

topdog1961

Sorry, I can't help you here. You wear it well, but my mug ruins the look of any hat short of a brown paper bag. 

Felix
14 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

Sorry, I can't help you here. You wear it well, but my mug ruins the look of any hat short of a brown paper bag. 

This ^^.

Fedoras clash with my farmer bibs.

C.J.L.

The black one is a Scala Classica and the camo is a Lite Felt.  I like a wider brim since I don't really care for getting my ears whipped walking in woodcock cover.  Also helps with keeping spider webs in the eye lashes.  Really dislike that too.  

20181012_093536.jpg

Dongotto

If you check ebay you can pick up the cabelas lite felts new. I also love my cabelas stetson three forks 

UplandHntr

Ive worn cabelas lite felt  blaze orange for over a decade. Cant find them anymore. Everything Inlike goes out of style.  The one I wear is really sun bleached and I fully expect a CO to call me out on it at some point

Cooter Brown

Have you considered having it blocked?  I think a good hat shop could get it to fit again.  On another thread I said people get in the weeds over pool cues the same way they do over shotguns and golf clubs--fedoras seem to be the same way.

That kind of hat is very practical.  I have an old Aussie rabbit fur hat that's a good one, but I seldom wear it because the headrest interferes with the rear brim when driving.  The one you're wearing has a narrower brim and you could probably drive with it on.  I haven't figured out a way to carry the thing in the car without it getting smashed.  In cooler weather I wear a Filson hat--I throw it on the floorboard--it starts off smashed.

Brad Eden

IMG_0875.JPG

Scala Classico "Trailmaster". Can't remember when or where I bought it. Can't say how rugged it is since I don't wear it often. But I'm gonna start. 

john mcg
2 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

https://www.sheplers.com/cowboy-hats/mens/outback-hats/      The wool felt hats cost less but they will shrink if they get wet. 

Yup---Hats and boots. Top down and well worth spending a few bucks on.

Sacrifice a night out at the restaurant twice and you have it.

😀

jackh

I've worn hats all my life: Cowboy hats growing up and throughout my "cowboying" years, then more of a fedora the last 18 years since I came back in the military.

I like Akubra hats...and I get years and years out of them.

Here are my two favorites.  The first is a Cattleman I had on last Christmas in Kuwait.  The second (my actual favorite) is a Territory last summer fly fishing in Colorado.  I look at these two hats like "family"; they have been all over the world with me from hunting, to deployments, to business in DC, etc.  If I can't do it in one of these hats...it ain't worth doing 🙂

IMG_4757.JPG

jackh

oops...here is the second one

DSC00117.JPG

Hammergun
21 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Have you considered having it blocked?  I think a good hat shop could get it to fit again.  On another thread I said people get in the weeds over pool cues the same way they do over shotguns and golf clubs--fedoras seem to be the same way.

That kind of hat is very practical.  I have an old Aussie rabbit fur hat that's a good one, but I seldom wear it because the headrest interferes with the rear brim when driving.  The one you're wearing has a narrower brim and you could probably drive with it on.  I haven't figured out a way to carry the thing in the car without it getting smashed.  In cooler weather I wear a Filson hat--I throw it on the floorboard--it starts off smashed.

That’s a good idea. I had the band replaced a number of years ago. I may have it reblocked. I have had hats reblocked and enlarged in the past but I have not had them stay enlarged. You have a good point with the brim of my hat being very functional which is true. I have had it since 1990 so it’s a good one. 

john mcg

I have a Resistol Hottdogger I bought in the late 70’s while living in Idaho. It has held up well, but a RE blocking did not hold either.