MEdooGuide

Yeti Cooler Sizes

MEdooGuide
6 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Make sure you really visualize and try if you can packing one. For the size and weight they don't hold that much relatively speaking.

I know you said, I'm still getting one, but if Yeti wasn't an option, what would be your second option?

Probably an Orca but Yeti takes good care of guides.

UplandHntr

I have a 65qt RTIC. I like it but what the H do I know about coolers. Wait, I do know its a heavy SOB. If that thing was loaded with ice and cans it would be impossible for one guy to carry. I like the rubber feet but it does make it almost impossibe to slide on a carpeted truck floor which isnt good when its really heavy. I know that's the intended purpose but...

stripersonfly

We have an RTIC 65.  Personally I would save the $ and buy an RTIC vs. a Yeti.  As others have state the 65 is about as big as I think I would go unless it was a semi-permanent installation on a larger boat.  Anything much bigger than a 65 is going to take up a lot of space in the back of an SUV or even a truck and be a pain the the rear to move around.

IMHO, these top end coolers excel in one niche area, and this is on extended trips where you need to keep things cold for a long period of time.  They are much more efficient than a comparable Coleman.  You will need less ice to last you for 3 - 4 days, so actually will end up being able to fit more into the Yeti/RTIC/Orca than a Coleman (or similar brand) of comparable size.  There is also no denying there is the wow/cool factor to Yeti's which I would like to say I do not care about, but we all like to own nice things.

Be realistic, if you are mostly just talking day trips, than I think a Yeti or similar is really overkill and going to be heavier to boot and I would get a Coleman or similar.  Or get the Yeti and be cool:-)

bigdog MN

Just an observation, don't mean to get into a brand discussion. My buddy's son brought a RTIC 45 to my place a couple weeks ago and left it in the kitchen for the weekend. A little small on the inside but would work for a day in the boat.  When he opened it on Sunday to load birds for the ride home his ice was still frozen from Friday morning when he packed up.   I have not used my RTIC 65 since I got it but I was impressed with this performance.

One additional thought, the softsided coolers are very light and do a good job for day trips.  I use an RTIC 20 and/or 40 every week and they do a suprisingly good job of keeping things frozen.  A buddy borrowed the 20 for a boundary waters trip and it keeps steaks froze for a couple days.

406dn
5 hours ago, MEdooGuide said:

I dont but they take good care of us guides too. 

That might be why they reach so far into everyone else's pocket. 

braque du upstate

I Have the rtic 65 its big and heavy . I need a good reason to use it . Great for barbecues , camping, trips. Day to day its too much. Rtic g ot sued by yeti . They are the same cooler. Husband and wife that divorced.  One went yeti / retail.  One went factory direct /rtic. I can be a brand whore at times. Buy what makes you happy . Understand u paying hundreds more for "yeti " branding.  

whiskyjack

I have a Yeti 45. Suits my uses very nicely to be sure though, it is a heavy bugger when full. In addition to drinks, it will hold a 3 day limit of pheasants (Alberta limit)

I plan to buy another Yeti, the 75 is in the running. Although, a second 45 as suggested might also be appropriate.

I like the idea of the 75 as it will hold an entire, boned out Mule deer.

Jeff

Jakeismydog2
16 hours ago, bigdog MN said:

Just an observation, don't mean to get into a brand discussion. My buddy's son brought a RTIC 45 to my place a couple weeks ago and left it in the kitchen for the weekend. A little small on the inside but would work for a day in the boat.  When he opened it on Sunday to load birds for the ride home his ice was still frozen from Friday morning when he packed up.   I have not used my RTIC 65 since I got it but I was impressed with this performance.

One additional thought, the softsided coolers are very light and do a good job for day trips.  I use an RTIC 20 and/or 40 every week and they do a suprisingly good job of keeping things frozen.  A buddy borrowed the 20 for a boundary waters trip and it keeps steaks froze for a couple days.

I have a Yeti and 2 soft side RTIC's those Rtics get used all the time. The Yeti? a couple times a year.

NECarson

I've got Yeti stuff. 

Tundra 45 and 65, for hard coolers the versatility of two is nice for my uses. Separate food and drinks on longer trips, the right size when I need less capacity or for day to day use. I also do a fair bit of smoking for groups, so one hot and one cold is used a good bit as well. 

I've got a Hopper 20 as well (the original style) and although I'd be hard pressed to pay retail for one (I got it pretty cheap off a buddy) it is nice, and sees a lot of use. 

I'm not going to say how worth it they are, but I don't regret spending the money, at all. I guess my biggest point is to think about how it will see most of its use. I don't (and probably never will) own a boat, so footprint there has never been a consideration. 

martyg

YETI 65 here. Mostly used for multi-day trips. We use it for day trips as well, and when half filled with food / ice / beverages the weight is not too cumbersome for day use. It does take up real-estate though. Wouldn't go any smaller for my purposes.

Brock A

I use a Tundra 75 and I have the hopper 30 as well. Love them both

rugerno1

I have a Hopper 20 which gets used all summer along with my Yeti can coolers, a Tundra 65 for trips, and an Rtic 30 soft side cooler for keeping in the car when we travel.  I packed up the Tundra 65 on a Friday afternoon with ice and meat for vacation.  It was in the trunk of my black car from Friday (August) afternoon until we arrived at the beach on Sunday evening with very little melt. 

Brad Eden

Topic edited. Keep politics off the Board.

tmoneysju
On 10/15/2018 at 7:38 PM, MEdooGuide said:

Before I pose my question, yes I know yeti coolers  are expensive, yes I know some folks have had better luck with other coolers, but i want one and I'm still getting one......

Now that we've got that out of the way.....

haven't read the thread yet, but my prediction, lol....

people can NOT RESIST....politics, religion, cooler brands.

tmoneysju
17 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Topic edited. Keep politics off the Board.

I should have read the thread....

god bless the moderator.