FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Scar

Running jugs in NE Oklahoma

Scar

On my annual fishing trip with my FIL this weekend. 24 pound flathead on a jug this morning.

31561359248_d67407b04a_b.jpg

john mcg

The pup and I saw a bunch of those yesterday.

congrats.

Scar

We got wet but had fun. At 47 I’m the youngest on the boat so they worked me to the bone. So damn much fun. 

mccuha

I don’t know how many states allow jugging but it is a ball   Over the years have caught some pretty nice cats. Very family friendly and I like to have kids involved. It’s enough action to keep there interest.  By the way. Nice fish I’m assuming this was in ok.  

Scar

Grand Lake of the Cherokees in NE OK.  A more aptly named lake I've never seen.  

john mcg
52 minutes ago, Scar said:

Grand Lake of the Cherokees in NE OK.  A more aptly named lake I've never seen.  

The lake is 185 yards out my back porch.

mccuha

Most people around here don’t start jugging until feb. during the cooler part of the spring some giants are caught.  Here in sc our jugging permit allows us to put out 50 jugs. We some times camp out for a couple days and and run 150 -200 jugs   As long as the winds don’t get up we have a great time and catch a ton of fish for a big fish fry.  When it starts getting hot I don’t jug anymore. The gars become a pain in the A 

fishvik
21 hours ago, Scar said:

On my annual fishing trip with my FIL this weekend. 24 pound flathead on a jug this morning

Scar, nice cat. Does OK have any health or consumption warnings on large cats caught there?

Scar
2 hours ago, fishvik said:

Scar, nice cat. Does OK have any health or consumption warnings on large cats caught there?

Not that I’m aware of. 

We’re running 24 jugs and between baiting and catching shad it makes for a busy day. We had a productive day today. A 22 pound blue this morning and enough smaller blues and channels to make approximately 25 pounds of filets 😁

mccuha

I used to use cut herring but now we use shrimp. It works well for us and the gars don’t like it as much

fishvik
16 hours ago, Scar said:

Not that I’m aware of. 

We’re running 24 jugs and between baiting and catching shad it makes for a busy day. We had a productive day today. A 22 pound blue this morning and enough smaller blues and channels to make approximately 25 pounds of filets 😁

Because of mercury, and ag chemical runoff concerns their is a human consumption warning on eating large cats here in Idaho.

Scar

My FIL grew up in North Texas eating catfish but now lives in the mountains of northern New Mexico.  We make an annual trek to Grand in the fall to stock he and my MIL up on fillets for the winter.  We caught three 20+ fish this weekend and a couple dozen 8-10 lb fish as well as other smalls.  I know he had 35+ pounds of meat in the freezer.  He's a pretty stoic guy but was smiling big this morning.

I'm uploading pictures and downloading video from the weekend this evening.  I'm sure I got some neat video of at least one of those big cats coming out of the water.  I'll put some stuff up when I get everything lined out.

Scar

45432093352_73961c5e34_z.jpg

45483489811_8328b3d4e6_z.jpg

44758495274_830d213529_z.jpg

31610031688_219d6868f8_z.jpg