REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jmrozinski

Getting cold...favorite bourbon?

kgb
1 hour ago, Mike Connally said:

I’ve spent 70 some bucks on bourbon before. But I knew I liked that bourbon. Spending that much just to try something new probably isn’t going to happen. 

Oh, I knew I liked the 14yo Arran they said they poured into my glass.  Only time I absolutely identified banana in a Scotch, I just hope it's the same experience when I open that bottle.  Or at least something equally enjoyable.  I recently lost a guess at a $54 bottle, 12yo Glen Grant.  Just too much of an alcohol blast every time.  It's bottled at 43% but had to be about drowned to knock the vapors off of it.  At about the same time I tried Craigellachie 13yo, it's bottled at 46% and does not have that haze of alcohol hitting the senses each sample.  The Glen Grant does have a nice bottle, if that mattered.  Craigellachie went on sale for $52 as did Dewar's 12yo for $26 so I did spend into the 70's on two known entities that will get me into the new year.

mhadley

I like Woodford Reserve double oak with just a splash of water. 

rideold
17 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

I’ve spent 70 some bucks on bourbon before. But I knew I liked that bourbon. Spending that much just to try something new probably isn’t going to happen. 

I've picked up Red Breast for under $50 on sale here in the Front Range.  You really have to watch and catch it at the right time.  I only buy a bottle a year or less so I'm with you on not spending $70.

rideold

I've picked up Red Breast for under $50 on sale here in the Front Range.  You really have to watch and catch it at the right time.  I only buy a bottle a year or less so I'm with you on not spending $70.

rideold

Mike Connally

I tried something new last night that I saw on a bourbon forum.  I’ve got an “Infinity” bottle started. You take the last one or two pours from each bottle and mix them in a container. I used only high end, favorite bourbons. All different proofs, ranging from 134 to 86. In some cases I had to think long and hard before I mixed that last dram. 

I was prepared to be disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised. 

6CA800F9-629A-4F4E-BDAB-1E847D9F17E5.jpeg

MAArcher
On 10/22/2018 at 9:08 PM, Jmrozinski said:

Looking for a winter night cap.  What’s good?

A pint or three of Guinness.

gordy

Cold night, the best whisky is not a bourbon but a scotch whiskey. Laphroaig . Nothing wrong with bourbon but Laphroaig pairs with cold weather

Bluegill68

This one has been mentioned in a couple of post so I broke down and tried it. Very nice indeed! 

7BA05BD7-AC9A-4D8A-9FB8-BFBDDAF25FCA.jpeg

Mike Connally

OK. It’s been 6 months now. 

Has anyone tried something new?

I like wheated  bourbons, so this one came home with me. 13 years old. Tasty, but not worth what I had to pay. 

Easily the most I’ve ever spent on a bottle of bourbon. 

6658EA0A-0D44-4FC8-BDF3-46229938E9B5.jpeg

A51B8A5B-87D8-4852-BCDF-E3B9DDFFB44F.jpeg

SEPAlander

Was gifted a bottle of Longbranch, distilled by Wild Turkey in a venture with Mathew Mcconaughey. Enjoying it quite a bit. As the actor might say, it’s alright, alright, alright.

Dogwood

Stopped by the store to buy a bottle of my favorite Rittenhouse rye but they were out. Shoot.  Grabbed a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye on a whim. A dandy!

Mike Connally
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Stopped by the store to buy a bottle of my favorite Rittenhouse rye but they were out. Shoot.  Grabbed a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye on a whim. A dandy!

If you like Rye, here’s one you definitely should try. 

C78E9000-F1C4-421E-9140-BDA33D984D4E.jpeg

1971snipe

Having a sip or two of Buffalo Trace this afternoon, with a couple dashes of bitters and a few ice cubes.  

My go-to rye is Old Overholt, ~17$ for a .75L bottle.  It was the go-to refreshment for a couple of old WWII vets I knew, and one Vietnam vet as well.  I vary all over the place with Bourbons, but I pretty-much always have OO on hand.   

Britlab

Try McKenna