FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
sxsneubaum

FT WIN!! The Tough One... the First one

sxsneubaum

This past weekend was the Sportsman's Spaniel Club of Calumet Field Trial held at Des Plaines Fish and Wildlife Area near Wilmington, IL.  Web was entered in the amateur stake.

Saturday was WINDY.  First series was AWESOME.  First bird was a nice find, the bird went up, it was shot, and as I released Web the judge groaned.  That's usually a REALLY bad sign, one I'm kind of used to.  I watch the dog, I don't watch the fall, the judge and gunners are for that.  What happened was the shot bird fell and was hung up in a tree.  The judge said the bird is going to fall, we just don't know when.  He said to call the dog in, I didn't, when Web came out of the timber the bird fell, he smelled it and we were off.  Had to change to the next course. 

Cast him off, he started making scent but it wasn't an ears back blow the place up it was moving.  The brace put up a bird, Web honored and sat right there, he was on the downwind side and his head turned to his right.  He'd stare to the right, look at me, stare to the right, look at me, he's not moving.  I heard the judge softly say, "He's sitting on a bird." The other side changed dogs, so he sat there for a while.    Carry on, I gave a soft "Release", Web was a laser beam, bird went up, he came off his feet.  Bird flew to the right and dropped 40 ish yards from him. 

The trial was suspended in the beginning of the second series due to wind.  Winds were steady at 25-30 gusting to 50, trees were snapping off, one fell on a truck in the parking lot.  Came back Sunday morning.  It was frosty, but no winds, which means scenting is not optimal. 

Second series, his first find was ok, retrieve wasn't, bird was in thick frosty grass, he overshot it, made it, but ugly.  Second find was on a moving bird, I didn't like it.  And a fly away.  But we made the 12 dog 3rd series,

Third series, temps were up wind came up, scenting was good, the cover was excellent.  He blew his first find out at 15-20 yards, bird went down at the end of the course at 50 yards.  Straight line out, picked it up on the run at it, direct line back.  Birds were not running in the third, they were sitting.  His second bird  was moving and moving in circles.  He worked it and kept at it, the only issue I had is  that he turned toward me and snapped his head an body in a U and trapped the bird, instead of the bird flushing. 

The whole trial Web worked with me, he didn't pull me down the course, he used the wind, and had nice finds.  I've been trialing seriously for about 4 years and have never had a win.  This was the first one for me and it was a sweet one.  Web has his FC earned that with the pro I use.  The next placement we get, no matter what it is Web will earn his AFC.  I bred this dog and I trained this dog, I have used a pro a long the way, but I established the foundation and have dealt with the hiccups along the way. 

Sportsmens WIN 3.jpg

Sportsmens WIN 4.jpg

Sportsmens WIN 5.jpg

Sportsmens WIN.jpg

jackiep

Wow what a fantastic trial and a great read.... congratulations!  There is something so rewarding with a win when you do a big part of the training yourself.   

Can't wait to hear when he gets his AFC!

SpringerDude

Congrats!  Been there, done that.  incredible feeling of accomplishment when you both are on the same page and are rewarded with the Blue!.   

Remember when you ran a Junior Test in March 2007 with Web's sire, I believe.   

Nicely done!   Good luck as you progress through the Fall and head to National Amateur.  

Irishwhistler

Nice Teamwork.  Congratulations Mate.👍

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

sxsneubaum
5 hours ago, SpringerDude said:

Congrats!  Been there, done that.  incredible feeling of accomplishment when you both are on the same page and are rewarded with the Blue!.   

Remember when you ran a Junior Test in March 2007 with Web's sire, I believe.   

Nicely done!   Good luck as you progress through the Fall and head to National Amateur.  

Yes I do remember that. 

Grifish

Congratulations to both you and Web for a job well done! Especially in high wind, that is a great test of a dog. On to AFC!

UplandHntr

Thats just awesome! Congrats to both of you!!

JAM

AWESOME John & Web! Congrats!!

Pat Berry

John, you have been able to maintain a positive attitude through some trying times and difficult trials-- something I'm not sure I would be able to do. This one is well deserved, and I applaud all of your dedication and hard work. I am finding out that getting a win can just be so darn elusive. But now you've got your blue ribbon!

MTRookie76

Congratulations!

ScottGrush

Really nice. Congratulations. 

ESSNovice

Congrats! The last picture is great; pure springer lovin' after a hard-earned win.

dogrunner

Congrats John and Web. 👍👍

welsh

Congratulations!

Right now, I'll settle for a placement ... the win is the tough one.

Pat Berry
21 hours ago, welsh said:

the win is the tough one.

No kidding.