Jump to content
WI Outdoor Nut

Electric Bike for upland hunting?

Recommended Posts

WI Outdoor Nut

This past weekend while hunting for grouse and woodcock, I felt I spent a lot of time in "dead" areas, either crossing pine plantations or too young/old cuttings.  Many of these were a mile or better before I was able to get to the area I wanted.  I was debating of how to get to the good spots faster and thinking an electric bike would be about perfect.  Anyone use one of these for hunting?  Mount a gun rack on the handle bars.  Dogs can trot along until we park the bikes.  I hunt a lot of areas with 2 track roads that are gated fwiw.  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flush

It's been a long time, but at one point when I didn't have a dog I did a bit of hunting via mountain bike. 

I would break my SxS down and put it in a backpack. Wasn't a bad way to go.

 

On a side, but related note, I'm not sure what's going to happen with electric bikes in terms of them being able to be ridden in areas where typically only non-motorized bicycles are ridden. Currently I see a lot of people riding E-bikes where I don't think they are legally allowed....but I think for the most part they get away with it.

 

There is really nothing fundamentally different about an electric bicycle and a dirt bike.

If you argue electric (vs internal combustion) should be allowed, then these would be allowed too:

 

 

 

alta.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Speaks

Seems like a feasible idea. I dont know where the OP is in WI, but where I hunt quads are allowed most places so electric bike sure would be. I myself had been contemplating how to get further back in some areas without walking. I was leaning more toward how to have the dog  ride on the quad with me or exploring a UTV option, but electric bike with tog running along is interesting. From what I can see online though they seem fairly costly for what they are, at least given how I think I would use one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim Frazier

I always wanted to do this with an old Honda Trail 90 or 110.  Only reason I haven’t is no way for the dog to ride!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
E.Young

I have a friend who uses an e-fat bike from Rad Power Bikes to get to his tree stand and to quickly get way out in the NF. Don't think it'd be that useful off a trail/road, but following the dogs up a two-track to would be a lot of fun. The thing is really a blast to ride, I think it does something like 23mph. This is no e-assist, this is a full-on throttle, no pedaling required deal. 

 

On another note, as a bike commuter, I friggin' hate the things on the MUPs and think NPS should do a better job enforcing the ban. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wirehair
10 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

I always wanted to do this with an old Honda Trail 90 or 110.  Only reason I haven’t is no way for the dog to ride!

At one time I thought getting a Yamaha TW200 fat tired motorcycle and then a cart to pull behind it with crate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flush

I checked out the Rad Power website. Here is the e-bike for hauling dogs:

 

 

radpower.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Speaks
32 minutes ago, Flush said:

I checked out the Rad Power website. Here is the e-bike for hauling dogs:

 

 

radpower.jpg

Not sure this one would get through any rough areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airedale from NY

I purchased a Rad Mini folding fat tire bike a few weeks ago and will give it a big thumbs up! I did not buy the bike to use in a self powered mode, I have motorcycles if I want to ride that way. I use this bike only in the pedal assist mode of which there are several levels and allows this 70 year old geezer to go just about any where I would like with ease. Pedal assist and the gearing extends the battery's range up to around 40 miles depending on what levels you use. Because of the lousy weather I have not had the chance to ride it as much as I would like but I have given it a good initial workout here on the farm riding through the pastures and down dirt roads, up and down hills and on the road and it performs well and would do with no problem what the OP who started this thread wants. I prefer the Mini model because it folds up and will fit in the back of my little station wagon or truck easily. For hunting, camping or just plain fun and exercise.

 

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Those electric off road(ish) bikes seem to be becoming quite popular. Quietkat seems to be the biggest brand name right now. They advertise them in a lot of deer hunting shows and it does look like a quick and quiet and scentfree way to get to stands. But from the looks of it you still need reasonably flat land and trails and roads. I personally can't think of a single bird cover or deer stand I could use it to get to. Most of my bird covers are along dirt roads that I can drive close to, and my tree stands are way off trail. With a price tag of $2200 to $5500 I'll make a big pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martyg
On 10/23/2018 at 3:00 PM, Flush said:

It's been a long time, but at one point when I didn't have a dog I did a bit of hunting via mountain bike. 

I would break my SxS down and put it in a backpack. Wasn't a bad way to go.

 

On a side, but related note, I'm not sure what's going to happen with electric bikes in terms of them being able to be ridden in areas where typically only non-motorized bicycles are ridden. Currently I see a lot of people riding E-bikes where I don't think they are legally allowed....but I think for the most part they get away with it.

 

There is really nothing fundamentally different about an electric bicycle and a dirt bike.

If you argue electric (vs internal combustion) should be allowed, then these would be allowed too:

 

 

 

alta.jpg

 

Class 1 e-bikes only assist when the user is pedaling. Worlds of difference with something with a throttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martyg

I use a Specialized Turbo Levo for accessing some aspects of high alpine fly fishing. Most often, it is when a FS road is closed, early season, to keep motorized vehicles from compromising the road surface.

 

When those roads are gated I can run up 20 miles and 4,000' vertical feet with an overnight pack, hit wilderness area boundary, ditch the bike and hike in. I am often the first person to fish those lakes for the year.

 

For hunting I'd think that you'd really gas your dog. A regular pedal mtn bike might be a better tool.

 

You will see e-bikes being allowed more and more. The technology has changed the paradigm and discussion of various land managers, just as mtn biking did when it first come out en mass in the 80's. Some areas, like Snoqualmie - Mt. Baker National Forest do not allow mtn bikes on single track, which really hurts local economies. In SW CO land managers are a a bit more progressive. Mtn bikes are allowed on most, if not all, national forest trails outside of designated wilderness. That aspect brings cyclists here, and has made this corner of the world one of the hotbeds of mtn biking, if not the sport's incubator.

 

As boomers age e-bikes will also gain in popularity. If anyone, of any age, demos one, the first thing that you hear is cackling laughter. My favorite thing to do is pull an e-bike, not tell the person what it is, and have them ride. The responses are priceless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martyg
19 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Those electric off road(ish) bikes seem to be becoming quite popular. Quietkat seems to be the biggest brand name right now. They advertise them in a lot of deer hunting shows and it does look like a quick and quiet and scentfree way to get to stands. But from the looks of it you still need reasonably flat land and trails and roads. I personally can't think of a single bird cover or deer stand I could use it to get to. Most of my bird covers are along dirt roads that I can drive close to, and my tree stands are way off trail. With a price tag of $2200 to $5500 I'll make a big pass.

 

Quietkat may be the most recognized in the space, but they are not the most technologically advanced or can claim the most sales numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Virgil Kane

The area's I hunt that are gated have signs that say "no motorized vehicles. foot traffic only".  I'm sure you have checked but just want to point out that if posted an electric bike would be motorized.  Also the question comes up as to whether you would have to case your shotgun while riding from spot to spot whether the bike is or isn't motorized.

Not trying to be a killjoy, just pointing out some small but often overlooked laws.  I have been 8 miles into one of these gated semi-wilderness areas and had wardens pull up in a truck checking me out.  I was glad to see that the DNR is watching these areas but they must have had trouble with violators for them to be so deep into that area. YMMV

 

Virgil

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martyg
1 minute ago, Virgil Kane said:

The area's I hunt that are gated have signs that say "no motorized vehicles. foot traffic only".  I'm sure you have checked but just want to point out that if posted an electric bike would be motorized.  Also the question comes up as to whether you would have to case your shotgun while riding from spot to spot whether the bike is or isn't motorized.

Not trying to be a killjoy, just pointing out some small but often overlooked laws.  I have been 8 miles into one of these gated semi-wilderness areas and had wardens pull up in a truck checking me out.  I was glad to see that the DNR is watching these areas but they must have had trouble with violators for them to be so deep into that area. YMMV

 

Virgil

 

 

Well.... not necessarily.

 

And that is the discussion that land managers are having - is an electric assist pedal bike motorized?

 

If you are driving a truck into an area it in no way resembles wilderness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×