FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Flushing Whip

Auggie, 1st Red Setter to NAVHDA VC Champion has died

Flushing Whip

We received word last night that Amy Gauthier's Augie had died. Augie was 14 years old and was the first Irish Red Setter to earn a Versatile Championship back in 2008. He was trained and handled by Amy and was an extraordinary hunting companion. She purchased the dog and within a few months was beginning to train him. She took Augie to some Minnesota game lands for a run.  She had a check cord on him and as she was getting him out, the dog took off like a rocket. Before she could grab the cord, he was out of sight. She walked the grounds calling for him for over 4 hours but NO LUCK. What if the check cord had trapped him by tangling around a tree root or stump?  There was a pretty large coyote population in the area and Amy was beside herself. She searched for several days, posting signs and talking to locals... but no one had seen the dog. Then things went from bad to worse. Minnesota burns off local game lands to control weeds and encourage native habitat. When she arrived to keep looking, the lands were in the midst of burning. She returned home and pretty much gave up hope of finding the dog. He'd been gone over a week.

But then the phone rang. On day 12, one of the parishioners from her husband's church called. He lived adjacent to that area and he reported that for just an instant he thought he'd seen a flash of run running through the ashes. Amy jumped in the car and went to the area. She stood in the middle of the ash covered grounds and screamed out Augie's name.  Within second the little pup came leaping up over a hill, and jumped into her arms. He still had the clip of the check cord attached to his collar but most of the cord was burned away. Like a Phoenix he'd risen from the ashes and found his way back to mama. Amy took him directly to the vet who pronounced him in good shape and damn lucky besides.

A great bond was formed between the two and Augie went on to be the first Red Setter to achieve a VC. Needless to say-- her loss this morning is profound! They recently took a new church assignment and have moved but if any of you felt inclined to send a card, I'm sure she was so appreciate it:

Rev. Jerry and Amy Gauthier, 850 East Hill Street, Wabash, Indiana. 46992.  

Needless to say, our club is deeply saddened by the loss-- he showed us just one more arena where the red dawgs can enjoy great success!

1Covershot (1).JPG

1lake2.jpg

1opening.jpg

cardshot.png

1medalion (1).jpg

frak

Heartfelt condolences to Amy and the entire Red Setter clan.  

Irishwhistler

What a great story about AUGIE and yet a sad ending at the loss o' this fine Versatile Champion.  My condolences go out to the Gauthiers.   Slan Abhile to ye AUGIE.

Sincere Regrets,

THE DOG WHISTLER 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

NC Quailhunter

Beautiful dog and sad to hear of his passing.

dogrunner

I like the looks of Reds. 

Ted Moore

I remember hearing of Augie and sorry he is gone. He was a beautiful boy. I still laugh about when I tested Pepper in NAVHDA, she ran out about 200 yards and went on point and it took the judges forever to get to her as they were used to "closer working" dogs. After they flushed the bird, she took off on another cast and found the other bird in the field, about 200 yards away. They flushed that bird too and then said they had seen enough and that she passed the pointing part of the test, and said I should just take her into the woods to kill the rest of the time that was allotted for finding birds. I was proud of my red setter that day (even though she failed the track). 

henryrski

A very handsome dog. I am sure he will be greatly missed. My condolences.

Chukarman

That is a really fine looking setter! It is too bad that she lost the dog... they all go too soon.