FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Treerooster

Saving part of a deer hide

Treerooster

I have a friend who's son is into fly tying. Told her I'd save some feathers and such for him.

I got a deer that I just finished cutting up and wondered about saving part of the hide for him. Figured I'd just borax the part I save.

But what part of the hide is wanted by fly tyers? 

I don't want to save the whole hide, just some strips of it.

Irishwhistler
5 hours ago, Treerooster said:

I have a friend who's son is into fly tying. Told her I'd save some feathers and such for him.

I got a deer that I just finished cutting up and wondered about saving part of the hide for him. Figured I'd just borax the part I save.

But what part of the hide is wanted by fly tyers? 

I don't want to save the whole hide, just some strips of it.

Here's a hint, ye ever hear of a buck tail streamer?  Strip the bone out and salt it with fine grade table or dairy salt.

Mikey 🍀🇺🇸🇮🇪

Treerooster

But...but...I can't find the tail. I think my "bird dog" may have stolen it. 😔

fishvik

I'd save a patch of the thicker, heavy body hair for spun bodies and a patch of finer hair for tying wings.

Irishwhistler
9 hours ago, Treerooster said:

But...but...I can't find the tail. I think my "bird dog" may have stolen it. 😔

T'is why they're called DAWGS. 😂😂😂😂😂

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Chubs

The white hair on a deer's belly is often exceptional for spinning up deer hair bugs.

Clueless1

I know nothing about fly tying but I used to give my deer tails to my buddy to use and he was always thankful.  Wish he was still doing it, felt good to know another part of the deer was getting used. 

dogrunner

I just gave a bunch of wc feathers to a guy at work for tying. I'm gonna keep bugging him till I see those fly's. 😁

mccuha

I’m sure there are other parts but the only part friends that make buck tail jigs want the tail.  

Just a little off the topic.  A friend does a lot of squirrel hunting and saves the tails.  He says that mepps will buy them from you.  He hasn’t sold any yet.  

Treerooster
3 hours ago, dogrunner said:

I just gave a bunch of wc feathers to a guy at work for tying. I'm gonna keep bugging him till I see those fly's. 😁

Which feathers?

Reeba

For deer, I like a chunk of body hair for tying hair bugs.  Most places will do just look the hair over. I like coarse hair for bass bugs, softer finer hair for trout flies. Just borax the hide.  The tier can dye the hair if they want.  On woodcock I like mottled soft feathers off the back and shoulders and parts of the wings.  I'd just pull off a bunch of feathers from random areas, put them in a plastic bag and they can pick and choose. One woodcock and one grouse provide a lifetime supply for one tier so it's not real fussy.  There is a wide margin of error.  No worries about the tail, I've never used buck tail, but I understand some folks like them for jigs.

dogrunner
9 hours ago, Treerooster said:

Which feathers?

Gave a assortment of wings, back, belly and rump so he had all the colors. 

Chukarman
On 10/24/2018 at 7:50 PM, fishvik said:

I'd save a patch of the thicker, heavy body hair for spun bodies and a patch of finer hair for tying wings.

^^^ This.

Canuck
On 10/27/2018 at 7:09 AM, Reeba said:

No worries about the tail, I've never used buck tail, but I understand some folks like them for jigs.

There you go! They call them buck-tail jigs for a reason.