FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Speaks

Rubber Boots?

Speaks

I have always grouse hunted in leather boots, properly sealed they have kept my feet dry enough and although I always hear a decent number of people saying they use rubber while grouse hunting I always just thought they really are not needed where I hunt. This morning it occurred to me that maybe that was the answer to the wrong question, they are fine for where I hunt but am I missing out on good covers that I just dont go into because of this. 

What do you guys think, do you frequently go into covers that are swampy enough to require rubber boots? I have a set of alpha burlys I may take along with me next weekend and try some new areas. 

Samuel Hoggson

The NYS preserve I haunted for years had a heckuva lot more water than most grouse/WC covers up here.  But the scratch phez hid on "islands" in swamps, and most were too lazy to get them.  Dogs knew where the birds were - what's a guy to do?  Used Nokia Retkis for most part, till I couldn't find them. 

Switched to Muck Wetlands.  They've hold up better than the Nokias, though I use various adhesives (lately gorilla glue) to stop leaks.  Cuz I'm cheap.  Wife, son, and I wear these things for all "boot" purposes, including birding.  I stuff metatarsal pads in mine or neuroma acts up.  Guy I hunted with up here always wore leather.  We both noticed I was the one going through the wet stuff, though.     

Have a nice pair of Meindls.  Most comfortable things I own, but they have never been worn outside of elk/deer hunts out West.  Key to rubber boots is finding what's comfortable walking, and insulated in accordance with activity level.  Enough, but not too much.   

Blackjack

I always bring a pair of rubber boots with me when I hunt. I was just in Northwestern Maine and wore them everyday. 

Flairball

I wear rubber boots almost exclusively. I have just found over the years that almost every place I grouse and woodcock hunt has lots of wet spots that must be navigated. Without fail a decade old, over grown skidded trail, which looks firm, will swallow you up good. Alpha Burlys are a great boot, too. The way they are ankle fit provides quite a bit of support. 

topdog1961

This thread reminded me that I need to replace my rubber boots. I mentioned about a year ago that I really like my Itasca Black River Rubber Boots. There were a couple concurrences. I bought mine at a TSC end of season clearance for $19.99, and liked them a lot. But after 4-5 years of use, they were cracking. The online price is $59.99 and I just located a pair in my size at a local store for $49.99. I'm picking them up after work. They are a lot of boot at that price. I've went to TSC several times looking for them without any luck. I tried all the muck boots on for twice that price or more, and didn't like them as much. They have neoprene uppers and 400gr thinsulate. Highly recommended. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/itasca-mens-black-river-rubber-boot

Brad Eden

Boots need their own dedicated Forum or sub forum....if still looking for advice I suggest Searching for the word rubber, and choose this forum. Then take a year off to read...

shoot-straight

rubber knee boots for pretty much everything and everywhere. i like lacrosse. 

MNice

Some of my best spots, which I call islands, are only accessible by trudging through swamp land. So yes, I wear Grange exclusively. 

Treerooster

I hunt N Wis and the ground I hunt is pretty flat. Grouse & woodcock are upland birds around here...but just barely upland. I have also hunted quail in hip boots (the Lacrosse ankle fit), use them to get to where weekend warriors don't go.

I hunt almost exclusively in Lacrosse Grange knee high boots. I tried one pair of boots with neoprene uppers and they lasted one hour...ONE HOUR...before I had a hole in them. A good size hole at that.

The Grange are THE most comfortable boot for me. Lacrosse also sells a felt liner and they make them in 2 different thicknesses. I can micro fit the boot to my foot with those liners and they increase comfort significantly. Never had a blister from that boot set up...ever.

The problem with the Grange boot is Lacrosse makes them out of cheap rubber now. So now I have to condition them twice a year and a patch kit is mandatory, but the last way more than an hour. Lol

JCJ

Grange until ground freezes and Burly with Air Bob soles when ground is frozen.