Dogwood

Electronic locking differential; really valuable or not so much?

Dogwood

So I'm gonna buy a used Ford F150 2015-2017.  Very few are available with ELD's .  Should I make it a high priority to find one with this feature? 

I will be using this truck in the grouse woods and periodic western hunts.  

Flush

It all depends on how much "difficult" off-road driving you do.  If you drive in places you frequently get stuck where a locker would have kept you from getting stuck, they are really valuable! 

For most people 4x4 alone with open (or limited slip) diffs is fine and they rarely if ever would actually use a locker. 

dogrunner

I always order my F150s with it, its not that much extra and to me I think it is a good usable tool in poor terrain. 

River19
29 minutes ago, Flush said:

It all depends on how much "difficult" off-road driving you do.  If you drive in places you frequently get stuck where a locker would have kept you from getting stuck, they are really valuable! 

For most people 4x4 alone with open (or limited slip) diffs is fine and they rarely if ever would actually use a locker. 

This sounds about right.

Especially if you don't do much with significantly uneven terrain where one wheel or two are off the ground allowing the free wheel to just spin etc.

blanked

never heard an outdoorsman complain they have too much 4x4 performance

BlacknTan

I too think that most folks are better served with limited slip. E-Lockers are fine though.. Auto Lockers (rotational) are just so much junk.

Toyota has a system called A-Trac, that actually can make the e-locker unnecessary for most. It creates nearly full 4WD, by braking the spinning wheel, front or rear, to provide traction to the opposite side. A bit noisy and jarring, but it works.

Flush

I totally agree if you are buying new it's absolutely worth the cost to get it, it doesn't add that much cost and even if you never use it, it's a good selling point.

But when buying used it's a bit different because it's going to greatly decrease your options to choose from. Might be a matter of how much of a hurry you are in to buy. 

If you aren't in a hurry, just wait to find a good deal on a truck that has the E-locker and all is good, just might take a while.

If you aren't even sure if you need a locker, your probably don't, and therefore I don't think I would pass on a really good deal on a truck that doesn't have the e-locker. Carry a set of chains and good folding shovel and you are probably going to be fine. 

rideold

If you really want one you can put in an aftermarket one.  That would probably be easier than finding the needle in the haystack of used trucks.

henryrski

I think it is a good option. without rear wheel you really just have 3 wheel drive.

River19
1 hour ago, BlacknTan said:

I too think that most folks are better served with limited slip. E-Lockers are fine though.. Auto Lockers (rotational) are just so much junk.

Toyota has a system called A-Trac, that actually can make the e-locker unnecessary for most. It creates nearly full 4WD, by braking the spinning wheel, front or rear, to provide traction to the opposite side. A bit noisy and jarring, but it works.

I can attest to the ability and capability of ATRAC, I have had it come on a few times in my GX and it was seamless and flawless in getting us going or keeping us going, that being said it was odd to have the car take over driving itself for a second but it was all over before I knew what happened.  Almost like someone comes along and goes "let me help you out here buddy".....and the pedal goes numb for a second and it just claws its way up a slippery spot etc.

I also like the comment about never having too much 4WD performance.  No one has ever said "I just have too much damn traction when it is slippery"......unless of course they did something stupid..... 🙂

Speaks

Personally I would like to have it and order it if buying new, but as others said you might wait awhile for a deal on one in the used market. 

Dogwood
1 hour ago, rideold said:

If you really want one you can put in an aftermarket one.  That would probably be easier than finding the needle in the haystack of used trucks.

Hm I did not know they could be installed after-market; I figured the entire transaxle would need to be switched out ie megabucks but maybe not?

Flush

They can be installed after-market, as could be an ARB locker, which is air actuated, not electronic but they end up functioning much the same way. There are pros and cons of both types. 

If you are going to have it installed, and not do it yourself, I suspect you are looking at $2k pretty easy possibly more. 

Unless you already have a fantastic deal lined up on a truck without a locker, it would probably be cheaper to expand your search and find a truck with a factory locker if you really want one.

A factory locker will be better for resale too.

dogrunner

Here’s what my new trucks Locker cost. Not very much and I would rather spend the little bit on that then a bunch of other stuff I don’t need. 

28A33BFA-E304-4ECA-95FC-B7F3CDE04599.jpeg