FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Flairball

Compass, where do you carry it?

Flairball

The Orvis vest thread touched upon a subject I was pondering yesterday, and not wanting to hi-jack the thread,.....

Where do you carry your compass? 

I have been carrying my compass in the left hand pocket of my San Carlos. The compass is on a lanyard attached to the vest so it cannot be lost. Lately I have been wondering if there may be a better way. The pocket has a magnetic latch, and there is usually a few shotgun shells, and other metallic objects in the pocket. I also carry a Garmin GPS attached to a zinger which I stuff in that pocket. Whenever I pull out the compass it spins around a few times before settling. I don’t want to doubt my compass. Nothing good ever comes of that. 

So? Is there a better way? Because I primarily hunt grouse and woodcock I don’t like the idea of just having the compass hang from my vest. Too many opportunities for it to get hung up/snagged on something, and maybe pulled off. Also, because my eyes aren’t what honey once were, a pin on compass can’t be read, and the last one I had got ripped off in the woods within a week. 

Looking for suggestions. 

UplandHntr

I have a round globe shaped compass thats about 1" and has a clip which has been on my left side chest of my blaze jacket with my GPS for years. Never have to touch it.

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

UplandHntr

holy sideways pics.... sorry

MNice

A Silva around my neck along with the whistle (tucked in). Usually don't need either though.

john mcg

This Tru-Nord pin on type has been here for twelve years.

Just a glance down.

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

lee sykes

I like the pocket watch type with settable needle.

doodlecrazy

My right shirt pocket. I don't carry anything "attached" to me. Everything is in a zippered or buttoned pocket. I learned that the hard way with my Alpha transmitter.

dogrunner

Game-bag, i usually use my phone or my Alpha. 

Uplander

Old brass compass goes in my right front pocket.

Bede

Tru-Nord on the wrist.

Speaks

I wish I carried one on a knotsmith lanyard. For now though in left front pocket with my truck keys and lighter. 

Brad Eden

I have an old brass compass pinned to the strap of vest and carry a modern plastic job in one of the front shell pockets.

NW River Mac

Left front pant's pocket with a lanyard looped around my belt.  

WMassGriff

I have a ball compass pinned to my upland vest. In a vest pocket I have a Silva which I setup for "the direction out" every time I leave the truck. I also use an Alpha for bird hunting but haven't used the topo feature yet. When doing other hunting I do use a GPS especially to mark honey holes and find them on maps when I get home. 

WPG Gizmo

I have a brass Marbles that I carry on a lanyard along with the brass whistle