FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
MAArcher

Wool cloths - any suggestions for where to get a deal?

MAArcher

Last year and now this year, I've become much more sensitive to cold weather than I used to be.  So to avoid that keeping me from going outside, I'm going to buy some good wool clothing.  I have a pair of Columbia Gallatin Range camo wool pants and jacket that I've worn for years and they are pretty thread bare, and being the least expensive wool I could find, they aren't great but still outperformed synthetics as far as breathability, water resistance and warmth.

So what I'm thinking now is a good set of wool long underwear.  The prices on this stuff kills me, $150 for a set and I've worn the crotch out of the bottoms in just a season or two, but it works great.  I have some Cabelas ECW long underwear and it just doesn't breath as well as wool.  Its fine for a short easy walk into a deer stand, but for tracking or long hikes in, I sweat to much and then I'm cold.

King of the Mountain and Sleeping Indian stuff costs a small fortune.  Is it worth it though?  Alternatives?

I lost the best piece of hunting equipment I've ever had, it was a wool had that was camo/orange reversible.  Dick's sold them years ago for like $15.  Now I can't find a wool reversible hat anywhere.  Warm breathable wool for doing deer drives, I could flip it to orange when I was driving, and back to camo when on stand.  Anyone know where to get one?

Flairball

A few years ago I started wearing Minus 33 merino wool thermals. They are the best, and can be found on eBay. 

Quality wool isn’t cheap, but I think worth paying for. That said, deals can be found. If you don’t mind used outerwear check your local Savers (frequently). Also, check Sierra Trading Post, and The Sportsman’s Guide. 

I like the LL Bean wool stuff. I’ve got a pair of their pants that I’ve had a long time and serve me well. 

SARGENT

I use REI wool long underwear and buy them on sale.  When I buy a set of REI or Smartwool I buy the bottoms that fit very tight and that helps with the crotch from getting blown out that can happen with even a little baggy pair. I wear a thin wool bottom most days for work in the winter months so I have a few pairs.  I am sure there are higher end sets but you don't see them go on sale very often.    

rideold

watch camofire for the black ovis merino long underwear.  When it comes around it's usually a pretty good deal.

C.J.L.

If you want fellas to give you 2 cents on wool, go to a "trad" bow site and ask. You'll get a dollars worth.  Those guys are CHEAP as CHEAP gets so you will hear Goodwill is the place to go for wool at a deal.  Dead men don't wear wool and it ends up at Goodwill when their family cleans out the closet.  Being a "trad" guy myself (hate that word by the way) I've done the whole wool thing thinking it was the way to go.  Wool is only OK keeping you warm is what I've learned.  I still have a lot but wear Sitka Gear these days in the winter.  Better to be warm than look the part I guess. I do think Cabelas wool mate stuff is pretty good and I wear their vest and pants sometimes. Course it's not 100% wool.  I have a lot of First Lite stuff to but you will freeze to death if you just wear their wool clothes in winter. Their true cold weather gear isn't wool.  And wool under britches is just that, under everything else that keeps you warm.  

MAArcher
55 minutes ago, john mcg said:

That would actually be a great hat if it didn't have chin straps and the ear flaps were shaped to just cover the edges of your ears and not come down the back of your neck so far that it scrapes on your collar.  I'd love a hat like that.

MAArcher
47 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

If you want fellas to give you 2 cents on wool, go to a "trad" bow site and ask. You'll get a dollars worth.  Those guys are CHEAP as CHEAP gets so you will hear Goodwill is the place to go for wool for a deal.  Dead men don't wear wool and it ends up at Goodwill when their family cleans out the closet.  Being a "trad" guy myself (hate that word by the way) I've done the whole wood thing thinking it was the way to go.  Wool is only OK keeping you warm is what I've learned.  I still have a lot but wear Sitka Gear these days in the winter.  Better to be warm than look the part I guess. I do think Cabelas wool mate stuff is pretty good and I wear their vest and pants sometimes. Course it's not 100% wool.  I have a lot of First Lite stuff to but you will freeze to death if you just wear their wool clothes in winter. Their true cold weather gear isn't wool.  And wool under britches is just that, under everything else that keeps you warm.  

The tech clothing can keep you warmer if you are just standing there, but I haven't found any that is breathable enough.  If you sweat in tech gear its like you're wearing a plastic bag.  I don't care what Gortex of any of the "breathable" tech fabric folks say, I hike up a hill in a foot of snow and I'm soaked.  But when I wear my wool, at least I'm less soaked and I will dry out in a bit.  With tech gear it leaves me wet and cold the whole rest of the day.  

If anyone can really swear that some brand of technical fabric is actually as breathable as wool, I will give it a try if I don't have to take out as second mortgage to afford it.  

What did you try for wool?  Maybe you have some for sale then?

I'd love to get the chance to just try some King of the Mountain stuff to know if its as good as I think it is.  May have to just pick up one piece off ebay to try.

If I want just standing around warmth I have a really nice LL Bean gortex guide goose down parka that's a great fowl weather ice fishing/snowmobiling/snowblowing jacket.

john mcg

What exactly are you wearing and how are you layering it to experience what you say?

Speaks

I do always use a merino wool base layer, $150 for a set seems a bit high but close, its worth it to me. If I am really layering up I wear fleece on top of that, some mid weight stuff. It wicks away as well and with the merino between it and yourself you still get some of the other good properties of wool. After that it depends on conditions, if your sweating shed a shell layer assuming you are not getting active snow. My outer layers are most commonly unlined gortex but can get up to a Striker Ice Suit. If very active I will shed the jacket though. I hiked up a mountain in Utah in temps around 0 with just a light merino base later and mid weight fleece on top. Bottom I had the gortex pants for snow proofing. If I stopped down puff jacket and gortex shell came out of the bag but came right off when I got moving. 

MAArcher
4 hours ago, john mcg said:

What exactly are you wearing and how are you layering it to experience what you say?

Any synthetic fabric.  Gortex, scentloc, various Cabela’s products.  The only things that have the breathability I need is cotton and wool.  My Columbia Gallatin Range wool jacket and pants work well with wool baselayer but they don’t make them anymore and I need just a bit more warmth.  

I used to have cold cold feet then I started wearing silk or polypro liner socks with wool socks and it’s not a problem any more.