grouse28

The Marketing Genius of Yeti

Mike da Carpenter

What I find interesting about all this “spend money on stupid Chit” crusade, is that very few people think twice about buying bottled water.  The most widely available product that could easily be had for FREE has been marketed perfectly to get just about 99% of the population pulling out their wallets and spending green on it.  If it isn’t the actual product, then it’s the container to put the water into.

The best part of having your own money is spending it as you like whether someone else agrees with it or Not shouldn’t be a consideration in the purchase.  I own Sitka Gear, and Kuiu too, because it’s lightweight and quite frankly...IT WORKS.  I’ve got a Yeti coffee mug and it’s nice, but keeps the drink to hot for too long.  I also have a Grizzly cooler that held ice for 9 days of a moose hunt a few years ago with daytime temps in the 70’s (miserable for moose hunting, but great for walleye), then when Rtic lost the lawsuit with Yeti and had to liquidate their entire product line, I picked up some amazing coolers for next to nothing.  

I don’t care what name is on something I own/use as long as it does the job I ask it to do, with one exception...simply cannot own a F*** Truck.

grouse28

I am waiting on the Ozark Trails Yeti knock off dog dish, I think Ti and the Drum will have a matched set.

At least the Weathertech guy has a good Schtick on his dog bowls.

Not really dissing Yeti, but it is more of a status symbol for most outdoors people who never get their trucks dirty.

As to bird vests, I have about half a dozen and probably more than a grand in them. Which do I pick up for a hunt? A $35 Duluth Trading close out strap vest! Simple and it works in the grouse woods and prairies. Just don’t keep a compas in the pocket cause they have magnetic closures.

If Yeti made a vest, it would cost 1k and most hunters with pristine brush pants would just have to have one.

grouse28
3 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

What I find interesting about all this “spend money on stupid Chit” crusade, is that very few people think twice about buying bottled water.  The most widely available product that could easily be had for FREE has been marketed perfectly to get just about 99% of the population pulling out their wallets and spending green on it.  

Ive got a Yeti coffee mug and it’s nice, but keeps the drink to hot for too long.  I also have a Grizzly cooler that held ice for 9 days of a moose hunt a few years ago with daytime temps in the 70’s (miserable for moose hunting, but fret for walleye), then when Rtic lost the lawsuit with Yeti and had to liquidate their entire product line, I picked up some amazing coolers for next to nothing.  

I don’t care what name is on something I own/use as long as it does the job I ask it to do, with one exception...simply cannot own a F*** Truck.

Yes don’t get me started on bottled water and the need to stay hydrated and attached to a bottle all day!!

WMassGriff

Love my Yeti coffee cup! For coolers I like Polar Bear soft sided. Yeti is too heavy and expensive for what I need. My cheapo colman cooler which is probably 15 years old works really well for transporting meat if the meat is chilled and you line the cooler with an emergency space blanket. Done it many times for air travel with no issues.

MichiganMan

I have a good buddy who owns a bunch of yeti and won't shut up about it. He is they type of guy who gets mad at me when I dont knock the mud off my boots after a hunt while cramming into his crossover. 

Anyways the other day he bought a bag of ice and put it into his empty yeti cooler. I asked him what he was doing and he said "pre chilling". Apparently according to him you have to burn a bag of ice to prepare your yeti to keep ice for multiple days. When I asked him, "isnt the point of yeti to not spend money on ice?" He didnt have a great answer hahah. Yes the thing does keep ice but I can hardly get him to spend a full day in the woods let alone multiple. He just likes owning things that say yeti and that's fine, he knows that the cost is the loss of my repsect.

gwponr
12 minutes ago, MichiganMan said:

I have a good buddy who owns a bunch of yeti and won't shut up about it. He is they type of guy who gets mad at me when I dont knock the mud off my boots after a hunt while cramming into his crossover. 

Anyways the other day he bought a bag of ice and put it into his empty yeti cooler. I asked him what he was doing and he said "pre chilling". Apparently according to him you have to burn a bag of ice to prepare your yeti to keep ice for multiple days. When I asked him, "isnt the point of yeti to not spend money on ice?" He didnt have a great answer hahah. Yes the thing does keep ice but I can hardly get him to spend a full day in the woods let alone multiple. He just likes owning things that say yeti and that's fine, he knows that the cost is the loss of my repsect.

Before birddogs I flyfished, a top name at the time was Sage. I had a buddy who would buy Sage patches and sew them on all his bags and apparel, apparently they made him look cooler without spending the big dollars. cost of cheaper shirt + cost of patch= lady to sew patch on= might as well have just bought  the Sage gear

Me I was a boy scout i'd of sewed that patch on myself........If I gave a sh**😎

terrym

I did a trade show recently and there was a Yeti booth there. Normally after the show all exhibitors sell off/trade with others or sell off product at cost. Figured it was a good chance to buy a Yeti coffee mug 1/2 price. The rep in the booth refused to sell anything and while chatting her up all she could talk about was the “brand” and “image”. I’m sure they are great products but I’m thinking you pay a premium for that name. Just can’t cough up $44.99 + taxes for a coffee mug. 

Greg Hartman

I have a YETI water bottle.  It was a gift.  I really like it.

Brad Eden

Getting confrontational for no good reason. Topic edited.

From my signature lines:

If you  feel you will be indignant, or become hostile about having your Reply/Posts edited or deleted, or Topics locked and removed, please do not participate on the Upland Journal Discussion Forums.
Board Guidelines since 2002

chilly460
11 hours ago, MichiganMan said:

"Yes the thing does keep ice but I can hardly get him to spend a full day in the woods let alone multiple. He just likes owning things that say yeti and that's fine, he knows that the cost is the loss of my repsect."

Hilarious.  

I haven't seen the solution for throwing 50* beer into 32* ice and not losing a little to melt though...but I'm sure the solution is coming.  

DAG

They do look good with a UJ sticker on them. 

6D1208BE-1212-40E9-BA40-68341F828646.jpeg

E.Young
12 hours ago, MichiganMan said:

I thought... "this must be BS" so I Googled it...

START WITH A COOL COOLER

If stored in warm places, a significant amount of ice will be wasted cooling the cooler itself. Preload your cooler a few hours prior to use with a sacrificial bag of ice to cool it down

Now, I'm no cooler expert and the closest thing I own to a Yeti is a cheap Ozark Trail knock-off coffee cup that costs $7, but this feels like a real CYA move here, a precondition that MUST be met in order to meet their maximum ice retention claim. Obviously not many folks are gonna do it so when they complain that the ice lasted 4 days not 8, Yeti can say "Well, did you pre-chill your cooler with a sacrificial ice bag? There's your problem. 

Clueless1

I really don't care what anyone spends their money on.  "I want it and can afford it" is good enough for me.  As mentioned, I do fine without needing to keep ice for however many days they claim.  I use the 'sacrificial bag of ice' on day one when I load the cooler, and then a 'non-sacrificial bag of ice' if and when the first bag isn't cold anymore.  

What I do find humorous are the mental gymnastics required sometimes for someone to justify the purchase.  My friend decided to buy a Yeti.  All well and good, but then he had to try to explain himself to me.  (I don't care but apparently he did, at least enough to try to justify it to me.  Or possibly still to himself.)

It went like this:

Him "It holds ice for 7 days."

Me "When was the last time you were in a position of not being able to get ice for 7 days?"

Him "Well, just in case.  And its grizzly bear proof."

Me "The closest grizzly is 1600 miles away."

Him "My wife said I could get it."

Me "Cool!"

co_setter

The smart aleck young bucks in the area have taken to using a black marker to write "Yeti" on thier low dollar beer coolers.  😎  I wish I was doing more expedition trips that justified a big time cooler but until then I am abusing my cheapies.

I agree on the crazy heat retention of some of the mugs.  My RTIC keeps coffee too hot for a trip of under an hour.  Short trips I use another mug.  Long trips use 2 one for the first hour and the RTIC for later.  I could use ice cubes but that would require more forward planning and I am just trying to get out the house with phone, keys, wallet and coffee.

martyg

A trip of four days or more on the San Juan, Rogue, Salmon, Middle Fork of the Salmon, Delores, a week of desert camping to climb and ride.... I am all about my YETI.