FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
martyg

A Plug For Point6

martyg

I just received a set of baselayers from Point6 to review for a magazine, and am blow away.

In the future article I'll be going into why the quality of your baselayer is dependent on the brand's QA practices and the person sitting in the drafty barn sorting. I'll be going into why 18.2 micron is the magic number for the most functional, luxurious Merino. I'll be going into why certain brands don't compact spin wool fibers and why it leads to premature product failure. I'll be going into why the owners of Point6 know more about Merino than any one else, and have the best sourcing contacts.

Until then, if you need socks or baselayers, check them out.

grouse28

Looks good. I await your review.

oak stob

Their base layers appear to be quite well....tailored.

I do hold out high hope for their socks, should I ever have cold feet.

WeeWilly

Looks like a quality product. Hopefully they consider light weights in base layers (140-170ish). The only complaint I have about my Kuiu and FirstLite merino is the durability but knew that going into the game. Merino is a flat out game changer for a sweaty pig like myself.

406dn

I appreciate the heads up, I'll be looking for their products.

River19

Marty, how do they compare to say the products produced by Ibex up until recently?

My Ibex base layers have taken 5+ years of beating of literally every day in the woods from October to April and my thicker stuff is used on every fat bike ride in the winter neither show any real wear.

Dave Erickson

My credit card is most vulnerable before a trip. Therefore I will be field testing one of the Point6 merino wool tops Saturday through Tuesday in a very chilly South Dakota. It came yesterday and it sure looks and feels like a quality product.

UplandHntr

Whoever wouldve thought that buying sox would be so confusing. 

Are you guys wearing some kind of space age boot liner under these? 

If not, and assuming you change your sox everyday, How does a guy afford $175 for sox on a week long trip somewhere? 

They sure have some pretty designs 

Crazy Horse
On 11/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, martyg said:

I just received a set of baselayers from Point6 to review for a magazine, and am blow away.

In the future article I'll be going into why the quality of your baselayer is dependent on the brand's QA practices and the person sitting in the drafty barn sorting. I'll be going into why 18.2 micron is the magic number for the most functional, luxurious Merino. I'll be going into why certain brands don't compact spin wool fibers and why it leads to premature product failure. I'll be going into why the owners of Point6 know more about Merino than any one else, and have the best sourcing contacts.

Until then, if you need socks or baselayers, check them out.

Can you post a web site?

topdog1961
3 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

If not, and assuming you change your sox everyday, How does a guy afford $175 for sox on a week long trip somewhere? 

Between you and me, I typically wear the same pair of socks for up to one week, unless my boots leak and I get them wet. I don't know how I can get away with this, because I sweat like a pig everywhere else, but my feet never sweat and never stink. Other undergarments don't make it through the day if I'm active. Now my teenage son's feet....pee-ew. 

River19

Every sock in my life is Darn Tough brand.  All my hunting socks, hiking, biking, dress, absolutely everything is wool Darn Tough.

For some reason they never smell (wool is nice) and they last forever and make Smartwool look like a horrid knock off from a quality perspective.  

Also a "lifetime guarantee".....

I'll wear socks hunting until the "cushion" has been compressed, could be a day or two or just 4 hours who knows....

tmoneysju
1 hour ago, River19 said:

Every sock in my life is Darn Tough brand.  All my hunting socks, hiking, biking, dress, absolutely everything is wool Darn Tough.

For some reason they never smell (wool is nice) and they last forever and make Smartwool look like a horrid knock off from a quality perspective.  

Also a "lifetime guarantee".....

I'll wear socks hunting until the "cushion" has been compressed, could be a day or two or just 4 hours who knows....

bought my first pair of DT a few weeks ago and was very pleased.

SODAKer

Marty,

How does the 18.2 value compared to the Bean Cresta which I was told was 24?

Thanks

martyg
5 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Marty,

How does the 18.2 value compared to the Bean Cresta which I was told was 24?

Thanks

Baselayers are made of a finer micron fiber. This is due to the sensitivity of inner arms not tolerating a courser diameter. Note also that when a value is stated it is the average micron diameter of the fibers used. The more hand combing in a drafting barn when sheep are sheered the more consistent the fiber within t\hat average.

So apples to oranges.

DSC01164-LR.jpg

DSC01299-LR.jpg

DSC01353-LR.jpg

SODAKer

Marty thanks for the reply.