FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
vagrousehunter

Garmin Alpha question

vagrousehunter

I have an Alpha with 2 TT15 and 1 TT10 collars  .  I've had the thing for a few years and , generally, have no problems with it.  I am not the most tech-savvy guy around and have an issue that I cannot seem to resolve even though it's probably an easy fix.  I cannot get the dog tracking compass to show multiple dogs on the same screen.  I have to scroll through screens to check on each dog.  It used to show them all on one screen but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it work like that again. I would greatly appreciate any guidance on this matter.

bobman

Pm cooter he really knows these things

Checo

Go to set up menu. Click training. Click training buttons. Click change mode ( you should see all dogs added to top of screen).

gaberdeen

Go to the compass. Hit the middle menu button on bottom. Make sure it is on small numbers.

grouse28
37 minutes ago, gaberdeen said:

Go to the compass. Hit the middle menu button on bottom. Make sure it is on small numbers.

Yes, I had the same problem. Then I forget the fix. Now I can change it back,  ha!

I find the commands to be not too intuitive. Small numbers, large numbers, does that make sense to change from 1 to 2 dogs on the compass?

The screen gets bumped while hunting and settings change, actually deleted a dog while in my pocket.

Yes I know you can lock the screen, but then must unlock it to use it.

Cooter Brown

"List Sync On" and "List Sync Off" can also have a similar effect.

I've found that if I don't lock the screen all sorts of mischief can happen.

After a couple of incidents already this season I've almost come to the conclusion that an Astro with a separate e-collar on the same collar strap is a better solution.  I needed to zap my pup RIGHT NOW when it found a porcupine and somehow the damned thing had gotten switched to the wrong collar and there's no way to know that without looking at it.

vagrousehunter

Thanks, guys.  That fixed it.

greg jacobs

Yup sm numbers. Had to figure that out one day in the field.

Dave Erickson

I'm just happy when I remember how to use mine from one year to the next! It's getting better.

I lock the screen with the three physical buttons set to 1. tone  2. nick 3. HOT   If I have two dogs down the screen is set to the most recently naughty dog and locked.

E.Young

Can you change the meaning of the top three buttons? I thought tone, nick, and continuous were fixed. 

Question on the Alpha update: there's now a slider for 1-2-3 on the dog correction screen. Anyone know exactly what those do?